Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco unveils new eco-store (Tramore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Which company does pass down the exchange rates to the consumer though, look at our own government with the VRT crap, free market in the EU I think not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Debenhams and Marks and Spencers were accused of the same thing. Most people dont care tho, as long as what they get is decent and cheaper then other stores. So in our case, Tesco will offer similar products cheaper then Super Value - maybe not as cheap as they could offer it, but still cheaper. So people will shop there.

Then when Lidl open, I think it will do the most harm to SV and keep Tesco on their toes (since they compete with each other the most)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I picked up a pair of jeans in Topshop the other day £40 somehow converted to €61. Thanks but no thanks :rolleyes:

As for Tesco, I do very little shopping in there and do most of my shopping in Aldi/Lidl/Dunnes but I like the fact that they sell a very large selection of own brand goods, which make up the bulk of my shopping a lot of days. Super Valu seem to be improving in that regard but I've gotten out of the habit of shopping there and if ever I'm down home I'd always pop into the Ardkeen store to get a few bits and pieces (let's just say my dad and I don't eat the same kind of food....:pac:). Sad to admit it but very happy to be able to pop into the Tramore store instead :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

It's not really fair to say that SuperValu are WAY more expensive than Tesco. When it comes to own brands alright Tesco do have some crazy cheap prices but comparing brand with brand there isnt a HUGE difference.

According to the last National Consumer Survey it was stated that

Supervalu is only marginally more expensive than Tesco and Dunnes and slightly cheaper than Superquinn, the survey found.
    Ms Fitzgerald welcomed Supervalu's emergence as a "real competitor" to the multiples.

It really gauls me that we are charged way more in clothing from UK retailers and that the sterling is never taken into consideration when pricing clothing over here...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

depaor wrote: »
    According to the last National Consumer Survey it was stated that

Supervalu is only marginally more expensive than Tesco and Dunnes and slightly cheaper than Superquinn, the survey found.
    Ms Fitzgerald welcomed Supervalu's emergence as a "real competitor" to the multiples.

Noticed that, came a bit of surprise. Maybe its just the Tramore one? I know a lot of locals felt they were paying to much here. Plus since that report Tesco have "turned up the heat" as have Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Sully wrote: »
    Noticed that, came a bit of surprise. Maybe its just the Tramore one? I know a lot of locals felt they were paying to much here. Plus since that report Tesco have "turned up the heat" as have Lidl.

Super Valu have a set price file from MSVC but they can tweak it themselves but this frowned upon by MSVC and could effect their annual bonuses/rebates.

Rumours are flying that MSVC (Musgrave Super Valu Centra) are trying to buy Superquinn, IMO that would be a fantastic win for the Irish consumer. Musgraves would benefit hugely from the economies of scale here and are trying to compete with Tesco, Dunnes etc

Onkle wrote: »
    Super Valu have a set price file from MSVC but they can tweak it themselves but this frowned upon by MSVC and could effect their annual bonuses/rebates.

Interesting. Anybody know if Tramore tweaks it, or are they all generally the same? I assume Tesco do, in order to carry out the national advertising showing prices?
    Rumours are flying that MSVC (Musgrave Super Valu Centra) are trying to buy Superquinn, IMO that would be a fantastic win for the Irish consumer. Musgraves would benefit hugely from the economies of scale here and are trying to compete with Tesco, Dunnes etc

Going a bit off topic here but bosses at Superquin have denied its up for sale. Do we believe them? If it was bought out by Musgraves, wouldn't it be unfair to consumers - there hardly the cheapest of stores (I think Centra would be pretty expensive, but not sure how it compares to Spar). Superquinn is a great store, though it is pricey. Not sure if I would want it bought by an Irish group or the launch of another popular brand like ASDA or someone.

Interesting. Anybody know if Tramore tweaks it, or are they all generally the same? I assume Tesco do, in order to carry out the national advertising showing prices?

Going a bit off topic here but bosses at Superquin have denied its up for sale. Do we believe them? If it was bought out by Musgraves, wouldn't it be unfair to consumers - there hardly the cheapest of stores (I think Centra would be pretty expensive, but not sure how it compares to Spar). Superquinn is a great store, though it is pricey. Not sure if I would want it bought by an Irish group or the launch of another popular brand like ASDA or someone.

All Tesco prices are the same.

Centra are now cheaper than Spar and offer much better promotions. You're paying for the convenience. If Musgraves bought Superquinn then they would be supplying Superquinn, Super Valu, Centra and Daybreak (Day Today), which would surely mean their prices would fall.

If ASDA or Sainsburys cam in I couldn't see them being bothered to undercut the current players.

I'd prefer myself to see another UK supermarket group to take it over, I'd imagine Musgraves acquiring it wouldn't have any affect on prices but another large group would probably fire up some competition, if ya to believe the ruling classes and their theories that the margins are so much higher for these unscrupulous supermarkets then they'd be a queue of them to hop on the gravy train.

I think Musgraves would drop their prices. When all the Centra an SV stores went to centalised distribution there was a gradual decrease in price and the stores became more competitive.

When it comes to mystery shoppers too SV and Centra usually come out on top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

Sorry to ask, but when and where is the lidl in tramore opening

Libby029 wrote: »
    Sorry to ask, but when and where is the lidl in tramore opening

No exact date public yet, but id imagine over the next month or two. Its going somewhere near Tesco (id imagine directly across from it, where they are now working on the site). That whole area is being developed for commerical - there will also be a mini shopping center there with retail units.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Debenhams and Marks and Spencers were accused of the same thing. Most people dont care tho, as long as what they get is decent and cheaper then other stores.

..which is exactly the reason why this country has become the most expensive place to live in the EU (who'd have ever believed anyplace could be more expensive than Finland!). It's probably too late as the horse is now probably gambolling happily on the other side of the hill with the stable door hanging off it hinges, but until people DO start questioning why there's widespread exchange rate gouging, and start voting with their feet, and start haranguing our useless government to put the foot down, it ain't going to improve.

JMcL wrote: »
    ..which is exactly the reason why this country has become the most expensive place to live in the EU (who'd have ever believed anyplace could be more expensive than Finland!). It's probably too late as the horse is now probably gambolling happily on the other side of the hill with the stable door hanging off it hinges, but until people DO start questioning why there's widespread exchange rate gouging, and start voting with their feet, and start haranguing our useless government to put the foot down, it ain't going to improve.

Are these stores not cheaper then the Irish equivalent?

On topic, Tesco has opened today (since 8am) and will remain open until 10pm Mon-Sat. Sunday it opens at 11am - 8pm.

Are these stores not cheaper then the Irish equivalent?

Not necessarily from what I can see. Yes, Superquinn are just expensive, and I'm personally not hugely impressed with the notion that you're paying for better quality, but Dunnes and Tesco are will beat each other on price on different items. Of the ones that operate in the north (ie the last two), they are significantly more expensive on just about any given item than the stores in the north. The usual excuses trotted out (insurance, salaries, electricity, the bad weather, and whatever you're having yourself) just don't hold water, as their PR muppets usually conveniently manage to forget the fact they pay significantly lower corporation tax on the no doubt substantial, but unreported, profits here.

So it's not just a matter of whether or not they're cheaper than their local competitors (in fact they just mainly seem to go in for price matching rather than beating - I've never seen "We're the same price as X" stickers proudly displayed anywhere else), since we're supposed to be in the era of the brave new "free market" (god help us), we have to ask ourselves why we pay substantially more for the same basket of groceries as do our neighbours 200km up the road.

</rant>

Was up there earlier and it was jammed , sure it was a lot of novelty and a lot of people went because it was an opening, however it certainly was evident just how many of these people will change their shopping habits from Waterford to Tramore , keeping jobs and spending somewhat local, I doubt that these are all SV customers as their size store can't have serviced that amount of people.
    Nice store overall with a good selection, nice to see ya know can buy pc accessories, ink, or even an LCD if need be. Hopefuly more retail outlets follow

Isnt Tesco bigger then Super Value? Very busy again today, at times queues were out onto the roadway people getting access. Was very impressed with it myself, nicely layed out car park (better then SVs by far) and shop. Wasnt to much of a hassle to get around despite the large crowd. I would think that its a good chunk of SVs customers, but not all of course. I do worry that when Lidl open, it will hit Super Value harder.

depaor wrote: »
    Tesco have created 93 jobs in the town

Where did you get this figure? According to local press, Tesco were to create between
    130 and 150
    jobs. Store size is 30,000 sq ft

Source: Waterford News & Star
    Source: Waterford Today

EDIT: Think I found your source, another Waterford Today article. Talk about misleading (either by the press or by Tesco).

I'm sure that a lot of them are SVs customers however isn't SV really just a big convenience store rather than a full store,

I'd wonder regarding Lidl though I know I'll still be going to SV , its closer but more importantly its fast and easy . I imagine Lidl will be Tescos big competitor , people only going in there when they're are prepared to Que.
    SV will still be a major earner just not as easy as they had it before, but thats life.

rasper wrote: »
    I'm sure that a lot of them are SVs customers however isn't SV really just a big convenience store rather than a full store,

Not sure what there target is, but its got the same stuff as Tesco (in terms of what it sells, pretty much).
    I'd wonder regarding Lidl though I know I'll still be going to SV , its closer but more importantly its fast and easy . I imagine Lidl will be Tescos big competitor , people only going in there when they're are prepared to Que.
    SV will still be a major earner just not as easy as they had it before, but thats life.

Well like a lot of people shop in Tramore for convenience, others went to Waterford. I wondered would Tesco opening draw people away from SV, and then when Lidl comes it will draw people even further away. A lot of people I spoke to over the last month seemed to have this attitude, and were SV customers at the time. I fail to see how SV is any easier to access then Tesco - both are off the road, big car parks, on the main roads (Tesco having a better advantage covering the estates access wise).

For what its worth, I don't think SV is going to "die" I just don't think its going to remain as popular as it once was. I think they will be hit hard.

Lidl and Tesco are always fighting with each other, so with them open beside each other in Tramore it might be interesting.

Me, well I prefer Tesco but SV was always handier. Now that its open in Tramore, ill be shopping there unless SV ends up being quicker (now that its quieter) or not having something Tesco has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Think the access to the new Tesco's is ridiculous - two or three cars get by the traffic lights and then you have to wait at a second set inside which seems to be faster - Tesco has this huge car park yet there is a tiny entrance - why is there not a roundabout there so traffic can flow and while there are no other buildings there the inside set of lights should not even be used! Even a filter light to the left would be useful so cars going into Tesco (all cars at this moment) could just continue into the car park! Or have an exit at the other side of the car park so traffic can drive right around and come out where the new school is supposed to be going!

As for SV - think they have been charging too much for so long! Then you walk in there today and they have huge signs saying prices are a lot lower than Tesco - seems to suggest that pre-tesco, they wanted to squeeze as much as possible out of their customers!

Like the new tesco - bright and airy and can see myself there a lot - if they change the traffic management!

scout353 wrote: »
    Think the access to the new Tesco's is ridiculous - two or three cars get by the traffic lights and then you have to wait at a second set inside which seems to be faster - Tesco has this huge car park yet there is a tiny entrance - why is there not a roundabout there so traffic can flow and while there are no other buildings there the inside set of lights should not even be used! Even a filter light to the left would be useful so cars going into Tesco (all cars at this moment) could just continue into the car park! Or have an exit at the other side of the car park so traffic can drive right around and come out where the new school is supposed to be going!

I think there must be a mistake - the traffic lights at the entrance are VERY slow. As in, PAINFULLY slow. I was looking at the plans for this area the other day and from what I gathered, a roundabout was planned but I guess it got rejected and they had to place Traffic Lights instead. The lights on the main road are fine, its the ones beside the store that's poor. You could always just ignore them (like I do) as there is no chance of a collision as traffic isn't coming against you.
    As for SV - think they have been charging too much for so long! Then you walk in there today and they have huge signs saying prices are a lot lower than Tesco - seems to suggest that pre-tesco, they wanted to squeeze as much as possible out of their customers!

Last few days have been very quiet there (iv only been there once, but staff have claimed its been quiet and hours were cut back). I think people use the Cash Saver options a lot in Tesco, plus they have a better selection and stock count usually. The Consumer Agency seems to think SV is cheap, but a lot of locals seem to think otherwise!
    Like the new tesco - bright and airy and can see myself there a lot - if they change the traffic management!

Its up to R McDonald & Sons and not Tesco I think. Probably should be said to them (plus the lane is to short, looks like they didn't expect such heavy traffic) plus a yellow box should be added on the main road. That retail complex is where the fence is being erected and beside it is Lidl. I think the other space is for residential.

Its up to R McDonald & Sons and not Tesco I think. Probably should be said to them (plus the lane is to short, looks like they didn't expect such heavy traffic) plus a yellow box should be added on the main road. That retail complex is where the fence is being erected and beside it is Lidl. I think the other space is for residential.

I heard from a little bird that Bank of Ireland are going to relocate up there, though since all the banks are so broke these days, after the lads bonuses get paid, there won't be much left over for new branches :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Last few days have been very quiet there (iv only been there once, but staff have claimed its been quiet and hours were cut back). I think people use the Cash Saver options a lot in Tesco, plus they have a better selection and stock count usually. The Consumer Agency seems to think SV is cheap, but a lot of locals seem to think otherwise!

When I last worked there (over 5 years ago) the hours were pish - you'd be lucky to get 20 and there were only a select few on the 39 hours from what I could see. Then again, it suited me down to the ground as I absolutely hated the work and just wanted enough money to see me through my basic living expenses for my Masters. I bought a lot of Tesco Value products that year it must be said. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Duffman-oohyeh

New Tesco seems to be going great from my knowledge, ive been working there since about 2 weeks before they opened to the public! Great Crowd to work for! and yes sully we do have the solar panels! they power all our lighting and water as far as i know, possibly more! But all in all it is eco friendly!

try hibernian.ie insurance if you need a top down

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

try hibernian.ie insurance if you need a top down
    Muppet infracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i accidentally posted in the wrong thread and you gave me an infraction? wtf

i meant to post on the wilton roundabout thread.

i accidentally posted in the wrong thread and you gave me an infraction? wtf

i meant to post on the wilton roundabout thread.

Send me or muffler a PM with an explanation. I'm even more lost and I think Muffler thought you were just acting up :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Now that things have settled down, the access seems to have improved as the lights sequence has been changed.

However I still cannot understand the need for lights there at all - why not a roundabout at Summerhill and again just inside at the next lights - this must be the widest junction in Waterford City or County! You'd fit 3 roundabouts in there!!

Advertisement