Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Talk Mixing Pt 1 : What's on your 2-bus?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

seannash wrote: »
    its coming out of logic.
    rme hammerfall multiface,genelec 8030a monitors.
    now granted my room isnt ideal but i should notice a change right

Yes, I guess so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Yes, I guess so.
    im using a sonalksis compressor too.
    i dunno like i said maybe im just focusing on the wrong thing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I'm not sure about software comps but Hardware ones do, perhaps, need to be given a bit of a dig.

On that Fround track on our Myspace , she was boppin' up to 12db compression at 2:1 as I recall. That's straight up on the Comps Vu meter, though we try not to look!

It doesn't sound too squashed to me (allowing for being Myspaced too)

In other words, try melting it a bit .... you can always pull it back:D

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I'm not sure about software comps but Hardware ones do perhaps need to be given a bit of a dig.

On that Fround track on our Myspace , she was boppin' up to 12db compression at 2:1 as I recall. That's straight up on the Comps Vu meter, though we try not to look!

It doesn't sound too squashed to me (allowing for being Myspaced too)

In other words, try melting it a bit .... you can always pull it back:D
    okay so i always hear the term squashing.
    so is that a high ratio with a low threshold.i know theres other elements to it but is that how youd squash a track.then use the make up gain to bring it back up(volume wise)
    apols if this is very basic:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Telepaul & Seannash:

Work with it more and, despite it being quite an in vogue tool amongst home recordists on internet sites, don't expect miracles. Unless you're careful it can ruin a mix far, far quicker than it will make one. Use presets to learn from, not to the job for you. A good way to get a feel for how compression works in any regard is to over do it. When you really hear what it's doing, wind it back a bit, get used to it, listen critically and compare it to the mix without it. If you do this then be very careful about gain compensation on the compressor. If you've got a high ratio with a low threshold it will bring the volume of your mix down so you'll often be looking to bring the gain back up so you bring it a few notches and realise that as you've flattened out your waveform your highest peak is now lower so you can push the over all volume up. So then when you switch between the uncompressed and the compressed signal you get a jump in volume on the compressed signal. This is the equivalent of brewing fresh coffee in the house your trying to sell. Loud can feel like more (hence the loudness wars), but it's not. So try keep your outputs matched while deciding if you like what it's doing. I hope that I've written the above in a way that makes sense to you! If not just ask away about any points.

I have to say that I don't like the term glue when it's used as freely as it is in this regard. Kinda feels like everyone else is hearing something I don't! It does help a mix seem to all live within its own space a bit, but to me what it brings more than glue is energy. Kind of like it squeezes out empty space so that the size of what your listening to now has more action and movement in the sound. But we all experience things differently.

Just as a word of caution, much of the above abused slightly is the basis for what has become known as the loudness wars and I can't help but wonder if modern brick wall mastering has given rise to the ears of music makers having grown used to that slammed sound. Resist the temptation whack to it on until you get used to it. I sometimes LOVE a slammed mix but dynamics are your friend and as things in music move in and out of cycles you can expect dynamics to swing back into vogue any day now.

In the Gearslutz link above there are some basic starting point settings mentioned. Make of the what you will!

• Advertisement

im still confused ha ha.
    i think ill bring a track to a friends studio and let him apply compression on the master so i can hear what it does.
    right now i can only get the compressor to do stuff that sounds bad,havent figured out how to improve things with a compressor:confused:
    thanks for the replies though

Advertisement