Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can i speed my PC up when starting

• 03-10-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

When i push the power button on the PC it can take up to 4 min to the "Windows logo" and loading bar to go and the login screen to appear.....

Once thats got it can take 2 -3 more min to be able to use it.. Now i know thats probably my Icons and stuff that loads on start up like MSN/Yahoo/ etc.

Whats the least amount of things i can have at start up for the PC to work..

I know i can go into MSCONFIG and turn some stuff off.. but i dont want to turn off the wrong things..

Also would the 4 min windows logo at the start move off quicker if i removed some stuff

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Least amount of things would be whatever the OS needs to be able to run.

My eldery XP machine takes about 30 seconds, but the only extras I have loading at startup are the antivirus and Windows Defender. Anything else I need, I load as required.

Most stuff that is slowing the loading of your PC can probably be switched to prevent them from running at startup, but you'll probably find it an inconvenience having to find the icons/shortcuts to start them up when you want them to run, then they'll probably take longer for them to load since they're not pre-loaded.

Turning off system restore can make a big difference, I've found, not only in loading up, but also in general usage. If you look at MSCONFIG, nearly anything that isn't Microsoft can be switched off, but you'd be better off seeking the check-box in the respective applications options to disable anything.

A fresh install of the OS would also make the OS load faster, but as soon as you begin adding/installing more applications, the system will begin to slow down again. If you need all this stuff, then you're looking to upgrade your PC, and you're then heading into the vicious circle that the PC manufacturers want us to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

As said above..

"Least amount of things would be whatever the OS needs to be able to run.

My eldery XP machine takes about 30 seconds, but the only extras I have loading at startup are the antivirus and Windows Defender. Anything else I need, I load as required."

Download ccleaner and give it a whirl. You can also use it to remove any unnecessary programs from starting up until required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Another thing that might help is defragging your harddrive (is it nearly full btw? - can cause slowdown). Tune XP can put your boot files at the beginning of the disc to to speed up start times.

Could it be RAM related at all? (or lack thereof)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Well here what i'm running

win xp
    2gig ram
    2core 2.4gig processor.

I dont need an upgrade.. this cost me loads,, with a super graphics card.. i game alot and design,

I'll try the clean up..
    Defo dont want a fresh install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

NeVeR wrote: »
    Well here what i'm running

win xp
    2gig ram
    2core 2.4gig processor.

I dont need an upgrade.. this cost me loads,, with a super graphics card.. i game alot and design,

I'll try the clean up..
    Defo dont want a fresh install

Good call on the defrag as well.

A good program which is more thorough than the windows version ....

Auslogics Defrag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

MSCONFIG is good, HiJackThis will give you a much bigger list. The way to start out is to look at the items, see who they are from, what they are called....and if you dont know then you are generally ok to untick the box.

One good thing to know, if you untick all the boxes XP will still load just fine ;) .

Another very good program for reducing loading time is BootVis (think its a Microsoft product) and it does it automatically. You run a timed session, it can tell you how long it takes for drivers etc etc, then you click Optimize and it reduces the boot time by 20-60 seconds generally. Worth a look...
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664
    [If unclear google for instructions]

With 2gb of Memory and that CPU you should not be waiting that time to boot. It sounds like a startup program is missing/causing problems. Using the two programs above has brought boot time from 3 mins to under 1 min for me.....

PS Nice Sig, had me for a second.

Advertisement