Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on UFC 93 (17th Jan, Dublin)

Options
  • 03-10-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

So, who's going / hoping to go?! Not sure if circumstances will allow it for me just yet but would love to go.

Never been to a UFC event personally (or boxing etc for that matter) but have heard good things about them. Would be a bit surreal seeing Rich Franklin in the flesh after watching him on tv all this time, looks like a decent lineup too considering my pretty limited UFC knowledge.

When's the O2 Arena due to open, or is it open already? In Oz at the mo so a tad out of touch with events at home bar the recession / end of the world :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Gonna be there for definite. As close to the octagon as i can get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

When do tickets go on sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Absolutely gonna be there. Coleman is the man as far as i am concerned!!

Seeing him in the flesh will be awesome! And Hendo!

Going to take the day to get to the weigh ins as well, the photographer in me wants good shots, that i took, of these guys!

Not entirely sure that will be possible on the night itself so gonna cover all bases.

Dragan wrote: »
    Absolutely gonna be there. Coleman is the man as far as i am concerned!!

Seeing him in the flesh will be awesome! And Hendo!

Going to take the day to get to the weigh ins as well, the photographer in me wants good shots, that i took, of these guys!

Not entirely sure that will be possible on the night itself so gonna cover all bases.

+ 1. Ill be taking the day off. Was at the weigh ins for UFC 85. Great fun. Rogan will likely hold a comedy gig the Friday night, he usually does (we may not be able to talk about that if and when it gets announced though) and he's very thought provoking and great fun if you're a UFC fan cos he banters with the UFC crowd that he attracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I will definately do my best to get tickets and attend, should be a good night out and a good chance to see the O2 , really looking forward to the night
    and to seeing some Irish fighters get some international recongnition
    hopefully with an Irish sub of the night or KO/fight of the night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Yeah, will be there myself too on the Friday and the Saturday. Can get decent tickets this time cos no travel and accomadation costs. plus wont have the hassle of my wife wanted to go shopping and having to make sure she doesnt get lost in a strange city :D.

One thing to be careful of is the ticket purchase guys, the most expensive are not always the best view/closest to the octagon, make sure to have a good look at the seating plan before making that purchase. The UFC in Birmingham has floor seats for £100 and £225 and the £100 tickets look to be in a better position from the seating plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

yeah il be there cant wait for it,
    Iv heard there is rumours of hughes vs serra being on the card aswell, i think mmajunkie said it but not sure. Also this website has it up
    www.cagetoday.com/ufc-93/ dont know how credible it is though but im sure am hoping.
    Anyone else hear anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

The only bad thing about UFC being here will be Joe Rogan being here. With any luck there might be some good seminar opportunities around the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

So Joe Rogan does a stand up gig the night before UFCs? Would love to go see it, missed out on Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I love JoeRogan, I hope him and eddie do a seminar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Fromvert wrote: »
    yeah il be there cant wait for it,
    Iv heard there is rumours of hughes vs serra being on the card aswell.

Man Hughes Vs Serra on top of the double main event, this would make it the best card so far outside of the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

The-Game wrote: »
    Man Hughes Vs Serra on top of the double main event, this would make it the best card so far outside of the US!
    QFT - I don't like either of them so it would be fun to watch them beat the hell out of each other!

AFAIK Coleman v Shogun is the co main event.

I'd be astonished if hughes - Serra was on the card. Considering they put an entire season of TUF into hyping the fight they will be looking to make a big payday out of it so my guess would be that it will co headline a Vegas card.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Fromvert wrote: »
    Iv heard there is rumours of hughes vs serra being on the card aswell

Definitely going to this, cant wait. If this fight is added to the card it will be unreal. Definitely looking forward to seeing Coleman and Rich vs Hendo will be an awesome fight.

According to this Hughes fighting Serra was scheduled as a possible fight for UFC 93 but was supposed to be at a pre super bowl show on the 31st,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

About 10 minutes into this video they make a quick comment about UFC 93 and say there are rumours about hughes-serra fight being added to the card.
    I do agree that it is highly unlikely but if it was to happen :)

http://www.mmatko.com/mma-live-episode-21-from-espn/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd be astonished if hughes - Serra was on the card. Considering they put an entire season of TUF into hyping the fight they will be looking to make a big payday out of it so my guess would be that it will co headline a Vegas card.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see Serra and Hughes on the card. They're two guys who the more casual UFC fan would know. Coleman vs Shogun isn't the sort of fight that's going to sell PPVs. Coleman hasn't fought in the UFC in years and Shogun got beaten handily by Forrest

They did want to have Serra vs Hughes in New York, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen soon because the sanctioning of MMA is taking forever there due to uneducated politicians

I'll be at the show for sure anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I could see them putting the Hughes/Serra fight with Penn and GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I hope Shogun is back to his old self 'cos not even Roids will save Coleman!

WAR SHOGUN!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

Definitely will be going - Coleman V Shogun will be amazing.
    Hendo V Franklin is gonna be so hard to call but I would tip it
    in favour of Hendo via UD.

Anyone know when the tickets are going on sale?

I'll subscribe to this thread in hope of getting ticket info. I reckon these could make decent christmas present. Certainly wouldnt go myself though. Not big into it.

:)

• Advertisement

With the UFC desperate for a big New York show when they get cleared there i can see it being kept for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

gonna be cageside takin pics:):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭hmmmmmm

Serra v Hughes wo'nt be in Dublin, and I doubt that it will be on in UFC 94, if 94 is scheduled for Canada. Getting Franklin, Henderson is pretty sweet.
    I hope Marcus Davis is not on this card, he's about as Irish as I am Jamican. Plus, I saw him at UFC 85, and he was brutal. It was the fight where the crowd did a mexican wave for most of the match.
    Has Machida/Silva been rescheduled? Getting that as a third headliner would be cool.

hmmmmmm wrote: »
    Has Machida/Silva been rescheduled? Getting that as a third headliner would be cool.

Machida vs Silva is likely to take place at UFC 94. That's set for Las Vegas, not Canada

Marcus Davis is fighting on the Birmingham show in a few weeks, unlikely that he'll fight here

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭starrywalsh

I have Jury's Custom House booked already ... Just hope I can get tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lazer Smart

So any thoughts or rumours about irish fighters on the card? Who would you guys like to see in there?

From the limited shows i've seen i think Owen Roddy would do well. I'd like to see Gunnar Nelson step up aswell (obviously he's not irish but was fighting out of ireland).

So any thoughts or rumours about irish fighters on the card? Who would you guys like to see in there?

From the limited shows i've seen i think Owen Roddy would do well. I'd like to see Gunnar Nelson step up aswell (obviously he's not irish but was fighting out of ireland).

For some reason i pretty much assumed Greg Loughran would be on the card? As far as the MMA scene goes he has to be our highest profile fighter outside of those already signed with the UFC.

It would be great to see Clive Staunton walking down the ramp towards the cage, because you know it would be the most relaxed UFC debut ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Greg Loughran versus Mick Leonard would be an interesting bout which would ensure at least one irish guy is going to get a W on their Octagon debut. Having said that, if an Irish guy gets the call up he'd probably want to fight somebody more exotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Its gonna be great.

Dont forget, with the UFC weight categories, 70.3kg is the lighest division, so some of the Irish fighters mentioned fight under this weight

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote: »
    Dont forget, with the UFC weight categories, 70.3kg is the lighest division, so some of the Irish fighters mentioned fight under this weight

A feasting over Christmas should sort them out!

Advertisement