Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlotte's looking fat...er I mean, "curvy"

Options
  • 03-10-2008 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

:mad::mad::mad:

FAT MEANS FAT

I'm sorry but I'm sick of tabloid style stalker magazines (you know the ones... But i'm sure I'm not allowed name names) going on about how so and so is looking "Curvier" when what they really mean to say is "Oh my god she's looking like a freakin elephant!"

I'm a size 6-8 and I am CURVY. I have hips and tits people, CURVES. I'm not fat! However, people that are a size 18 are not just looking "curvy"; they're FAT. Ok so, they're curvy. In reality they're fat. I'm curvy. Does that make me fat?

I'm sick of it. It's getting insulting for those of us who happen to maintain a healthy physique and due to natural bone structure and genetics happen to have curves.

I wish the lazy stalkers would learn to use adjectives correctly

[/rant]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

How tall are you? A 6ft person who is size 6-8 is not curvy.

If the magazines annoy you so much, why don't you stop wasting your money on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Try the celebraty forum or AH.

I agree. Since when is curvy a euphemism for fat? It doesn't bother me so much in the context you described, but I've encountered a lot of bigger women who describe themselves as curvy and look down on thinner ladies and call them rails or rakes. I'm a size 10 and have a fairly big bum and quite big boobs for my frame, and a small waist. That is curvy. My tiny little 4'11 flatmate is curvy - she's only a size 8 but has a womanly figure. Being size 20 and having rolls of fat doesn't make you curvy, it makes you fat. I'm tired of bigger people getting away with saying whatever they want. It's only ever other women who call me a rake. Why can't people just accept what they are and not try to call it something else or use it to put others down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 coffee_chucker

Are you talking about Charlotte Church? Isn't she pregnant?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Are you talking about Charlotte Church? Isn't she pregnant?

if shes pregnant then its probably okay to call her fat *phew*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ya she is

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is now descending into a celebrity discussion thread, which means it's outta here.

Moved from The Ladies Lounge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I'm sick of it. It's getting insulting for those of us who happen to maintain a healthy physique and due to natural bone structure and genetics happen to have curves.
    More or less insulting than you calling other women fat?

Jeebus, live and let live ffs. It's a magazine, if you're so happy with your superior genetics what's the point in letting it get to you so much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

write to Dove and ask for a realer beauty campaign full of skinny chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Curvy, fat, rake, skeleton...there's a never-ending list of insults women use to insult other women. We're our own harshest critics. If you're overweight you get called a 'fat bitch', if you're skinny, you get called an 'anorexic, skinny cow'. Even if it's just your natural, healthy weight. Women can't win really, especially amongst other women it seems.

Charlotte Church is what I would call naturally curvy. Mary Harney I would call fat, to be blunt.

But I'd rather see a time when women are criticized and interviewed about their actions or what they have to say, rather than their figure or whatever fad diet their on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Acacia wrote: »
    Curvy, fat, rake, skeleton...there's a never-ending list of insults women use to insult other women. We're our own harshest critics. If you're overweight you get called a 'fat bitch', if you're skinny, you get called an 'anorexic, skinny cow'. Even if it's just your natural, healthy weight. Women can't win really, especially amongst other women it seems.

Charlotte Church is what I would call naturally curvy. Mary Harney I would call fat, to be blunt.

But I'd rather see a time when women are criticized and interviewed about their actions or what they have to say, rather than their figure or whatever fad diet their on.

Charlotte Church would get it....Mary Harney wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

i totally agree with the arcia's post. There is a clear difference between curvy and overweight same way, there is a difference between having boobs and curvyness.

OP you need to get over yourself and release your insulting alot of ppl on here. Charlotte Church is heavily pregnant and to call her fat in capital letters is disgusting. she has always been curvy, ie hips, tits and ass.

Being a size 6-8 with tits is not curvy, Jordan, for instance has boobs, but she is not curvy.

In my eyes, curvy/voluputous would be someone like Kim Kardashian. i think she is gorgeous but she is no way a size 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Acacia wrote: »

When she's overweight (cos lets face it, her weight does go bezerk a lot), she's fat. I'm 5'6. At size 6-8 I'm curvy but boyish cuts don't fit me (lack of hips etc in cut). It's as if people are excusing medical overweightness (BMI over 25) by saying "I'm just curvy". People can be curvy and still very skinny. I don't like how fat and curvy have become interchangeable. Didn't yerone the blondey spice girl say that she'll never be skinny? She's actually quite thin but has CURVES.

I don't buy the magazines :P They make their way into my house via someone else's handbag

edit: Just saw the last post. At size 6-8 I actually AM curvy. I've a traditional hourglass figure. Short, narrow waist and hips and a chest. I was only using charlotte church as an example because for a good few years now every pound lost or gained has been dissected by the media. The way I see it is, it's like taking a picture of someone with anorexia and saying that their figure is looking boyish as of late. Calling someone who's overweight/obese "curvy" is inaccurate and casts negative aspersions and associations with the word curvy. If someone asks me to describe my figure and I say "Curvy" people will instantly think "fat". Correct, no?

When she's overweight (cos lets face it, her weight does go bezerk a lot), she's fat. I'm 5'6. At size 6-8 I'm curvy but boyish cuts don't fit me (lack of hips etc in cut). It's as if people are excusing medical overweightness (BMI over 25) by saying "I'm just curvy". People can be curvy and still very skinny. I don't like how fat and curvy have become interchangeable. Didn't yerone the blondey spice girl say that she'll never be skinny? She's actually quite thin but has CURVES.

I don't buy the magazines :P They make their way into my house via someone else's handbag

edit: Just saw the last post. At size 6-8 I actually AM curvy. I've a traditional hourglass figure. Short, narrow waist and hips and a chest. I was only using charlotte church as an example because for a good few years now every pound lost or gained has been dissected by the media. The way I see it is, it's like taking a picture of someone with anorexia and saying that their figure is looking boyish as of late. Calling someone who's overweight/obese "curvy" is inaccurate and casts negative aspersions and associations with the word curvy. If someone asks me to describe my figure and I say "Curvy" people will instantly think "fat". Correct, no?

Well, if you're not actually over-weight then you have nothing to worry about right? :)

I think people can tell the difference between somebody who is morbidly obese and someone who actually just curvy. I don't think actual over-weight people refer to themselves as ''just curvy''. It just seems to be these celebrity magazines and they are rubbish anyway- they like to celebrate a celebrity's 'healthy weight', and at the same time will have headlines screaming 'FAT' or 'ANOREXIC' when the celeb in question is neither fat or anorexic, but has merely lost or gained some weight.

I wouldn't be too bothered about what they say tbh, they are the literary
    ( and I use the term lightly) equivalent of bitchy schoolgirls who like to point out other girls' flaws to make themselves feel better. Not worth your time. :D

Not worth my time, sure ok. I'm actually happy with how I look. I know I'm healthy. I also know that if I were two dress sizes bigger and a couple of stone heavier I'd still be healthy.

However, I remember back to a time when at 14, I was curvy. I wasn't fat, not overweight, not anywhere near it. Thin, with curves. The other girls in my class... Boyish. So in my mind they were "thin" and I was not. Magazines do more damage than can probably be quantified. If people see a before and after photo with "XXXXXXX is looking curvier" when in reality they've gained a lot of weight the curvy=fat association is made. So then they go "Hmm, I have curves, that girl over there doesn't have curves, people must see me as fat". Are you going to say to the 16 year old with anorexia/bulimia/BDD that they shouldn't have let it get to them, that it's not that important anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

FAT MEANS FAT

I'm sorry but I'm sick of tabloid style stalker magazines (you know the ones... But i'm sure I'm not allowed name names) going on about how so and so is looking "Curvier" when what they really mean to say is "Oh my god she's looking like a freakin elephant!"

I'm a size 6-8 and I am CURVY. I have hips and tits people, CURVES. I'm not fat! However, people that are a size 18 are not just looking "curvy"; they're FAT. Ok so, they're curvy. In reality they're fat. I'm curvy. Does that make me fat?

I wish the lazy stalkers would learn to use adjectives correctly

[/rant]
    Pics of the curvy size 6-8 or gtfo :pac:

Not worth my time, sure ok. I'm actually happy with how I look. I know I'm healthy. I also know that if I were two dress sizes bigger and a couple of stone heavier I'd still be healthy.

Then why do you care so much that if you say you're curvy people will think you're fat?

However, I remember back to a time when at 14, I was curvy. I wasn't fat, not overweight, not anywhere near it. Thin, with curves. The other girls in my class... Boyish. So in my mind they were "thin" and I was not. Magazines do more damage than can probably be quantified. If people see a before and after photo with "XXXXXXX is looking curvier" when in reality they've gained a lot of weight the curvy=fat association is made. So then they go "Hmm, I have curves, that girl over there doesn't have curves, people must see me as fat". Are you going to say to the 16 year old with anorexia/bulimia/BDD that they shouldn't have let it get to them, that it's not that important anyway?

Firstly, 14 is an awkward age. Believe me, I would love to have had your figure when I was that age. :) So, when you were worried about being fat, I can guarantee that the so-called 'thin' girls were worried that they didn't have your boobs, bum, etc. I bet they thought they were flat-chested, and boyish. So, it works both ways.

Secondly, I think these magazines do a lot of damage. That is precisely why they should be ignored.

"Are you going to say to the 16 year old with anorexia/bulimia/BDD that they shouldn't have let it get to them, that it's not that important anyway?"

An eating disorder can be triggered by many complex causes, not just magazine photos (though they certainly wouldn't help). So yes, I would say that it isn't important, and they shouldn't have let it get to them, because it really isn't that important. It's just weight. If people didn't focus so much on weight and appearance in the first place, if there wasn't such a demand for celebrities to be mocked over their figures, then maybe such magazines wouldn't be around in the first place.

Now, I'm not saying that an eating disorder isn't important, and they shouldn't 'let it get to them', I'm saying that just because a magazine says somebody is over-weight/fat/curvy, they shouldn't care because those magazines are not worth the paper their printed on.

I have to ask, would you care so much about this issue if you yourself weren't so concerned about being labeled as fat? Would it be okay if the magazines had photos of over-weight celebs with FAT written on them, just so long as they don't use the word curvy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Just stop with the body shape/size obsession. It's just another stick to make people feel bad about themselves & spend loads of money on products (and magazines). Fat, thin, curvy, stick-insect, skinny, scrawny, muffin-tops, chubby chasers - who really gives a crap?

Life is hard enough without people perpetuating this type of superficial sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The problem is more with your definition of the word 'curvy' in the context of womens' figures. If we were to use it the way you are then EVERY woman would be curvy (as I've yet to see a bum flat as a board).

Your issue seems to be the hideous notion that larger women could have anything in common with you...and be labelled using the same term as you use for yourself. More about your prejudices...less about the magazines'. :rolleyes:

If you want to read about celebs without all the crap, I suggest www.jezebel.com. And it's free.

• Advertisement

Actually the problem isn't that someone who's fat might have something in common with me. It's the fact that anyone who's fat is labelled "curvy"

I've similar gripes about the cataloging of people like Victoria Beckham's weight. If she puts on a bit of weight they're saying "Oh how healthy she looks" in a sorta "haha, she's human, she put on weight" way, and if she loses any it's like "she has issues!!! She lost weight!!!" I just don't like seeing these journalists twisting and distorting the meaning of word and trying to do the same for the whole way people are perceived.

People here don't believe I'm a size 6-8 hourglass figure. Ok let me explain. Take a size 12 hourglass figure and nip it in about 5 inches all over. The ratios are the same, the shape is the same. Is hourglass not the traditional "curvy" figure? (fwiw, when I go to buy jeans it's a nightmare. if they fit hips they're miles too big on the waist. How can this be if I do not have curves?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Some people like marmite right? Some people hate it. Some people like chips and curry and the couch some people like salad and low fat cream cheese and the gym. Live and let live FFS. People have different views on a broad spectrum of things...

I do however object to you calling a pregnant woman Fat. That is plain silly. Shes had two pregnacies in two years give the poor girl a break....

People here don't believe I'm a size 6-8 hourglass figure. Ok let me explain. Take a size 12 hourglass figure and nip it in about 5 inches all over. The ratios are the same, the shape is the same. Is hourglass not the traditional "curvy" figure? (fwiw, when I go to buy jeans it's a nightmare. if they fit hips they're miles too big on the waist. How can this be if I do not have curves?)

Please don't explain. Please understand that no one cares what shape/size you are except you. You claim to be so worried about other people judging your looks but you seem to be doing more judging than anyone else.

Plus I'd be a bit more worried about what's on the inside if I were you. Sorry that sounded a bit harsh, but it might make you a bit happier and less worried about what others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

You seem to be worried that you consider yourself "curvy" as in shapley and healthy whereas others i.e. the media consider curvy people fat. Peoples idea of a good figure is rarely what the media thinks. The media think a skeletal Kate Moss is great one week and they decry her for being a bad role model the next. If you are happy with your figure consider yourself lucky.

Don't let the media dictate to you or inform your attitude to "fat or overweight" people.

You come across as a bit vain and insecure tbh.

people here have my ideas wrong

I got caught up in a circle of driving myself up the wall

I didn't know she was pregnant cos frankly, I don't give a sh!te if she is or not

What I object to is the media using incorrect words. It distorts meaning completely, screws people over and it shouldn't be done.

Rather than focusing on jeans size, I'd much prefer to see them focusing on who doesn't look like a skeleton or an overinflated beach ball.

However, "curvy" and likewise "Toned" (read: emaciated) are a bug bear of mine. Call a spade a freakin spade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lovepink_xo

you seem very obsessed with your weight/proving your size...youre a size 6/8 and curvy...OK...i dont think anyone cares except you and youre trying to prove something. i think we all know what curvy is and isnt. however i disagree that people with some extra weight cant be curvy too (Sure they have extra body fat but their shape can be curvy) its like youre saying unless we're all a size 6 with curves..we're just fat and trying to make ourselves feel better by using the word curvy. im a size 12 (a 14 in some brands) and i believe im curvy. i do have extra weight on my tummy but even when i didnt i still had an hourglass shape.
    meh...if youre healthy..who cares what shape you want to call yourself.

edit: also i agree with heckler,especially on the last line. and just so you know, not everyone who is bigger is overweight by choice,genetics can effect it(i only know 1 person personally where this is the case but it does happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

If you are a size 6-8 and 5ft6 there's no way you're curvy. Are you confusing hour glass (ie smaller waist than hips and chest) with curvy maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

If you are a size 6-8 and 5ft6 there's no way you're curvy. Are you confusing hour glass (ie smaller waist than hips and chest) with curvy maybe?

Great username/bump combo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Oh woops- didn't notice the date!:o sorry!

• Advertisement
Advertisement