Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old ADSL Router on ADSL2+ possible ??

Options
  • 03-10-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,

just wondering if an old adsl router can be used on ADSL2 + line and if there will be speed problems ( my line is a 6MB Smart line )?? This is just for interest :):)

Thanks

Supervixen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Some ADSL routers may have a firmware upgrade which allows it to be upgraded to be adsl2+ capable but without it i'm afraid it won't work. A firmware upgrade may not even be enough if the adsl router is very old. It all depends on make, model and whether company was bothered to release an upgraded firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Some ADSL routers may have a firmware upgrade which allows it to be upgraded to be adsl2+ capable but without it i'm afraid it won't work. A firmware upgrade may not even be enough if the adsl router is very old. It all depends on make, model and whether company was bothered to release an upgraded firmware.

OK, here is the full story:
    I am interested to do a Cisco CCNA exam and was looking for a router to get practise. I found a Cisco 837 with ADSL for 60 Euro. I have Smart 6 MB with a wireless Router/ Modem, now I wondering how to put it together.

Option 1) to connect the 837 to ADSL, but the firmware update don't gives ADSL2+ to this model according to the cisco website.

Option 2) somehow connect the 837 via ADSL2+ router/modem, but not sure if I figure that out :):)

Any other ideas ??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

supervixen wrote: »
    Hi all,

just wondering if an old adsl router can be used on ADSL2 + line and if there will be speed problems ( my line is a 6MB Smart line )?? This is just for interest :):)

Thanks

Supervixen

On Smart, an ADSL1 modem will sync using the ADSL1 standard and speeds.

Spear wrote: »
    On Smart, an ADSL1 modem will sync using the ADSL1 standard and speeds.

Thanks, you give me hope :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's correct. ADSL2 exchange equipment is backwards compatible with ADSL1 modems. It's more difficult to get 6mbps using ADSL1 (see upgrade threads) but if you're close enough to the exchange, it should be fine.

• Advertisement

That's correct. ADSL2 exchange equipment is backwards compatible with ADSL1 modems. It's more difficult to get 6mbps using ADSL1 (see upgrade threads) but if you're close enough to the exchange, it should be fine.

Short feedback, all working nicely, and get full speeds too...:):)

Advertisement