Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

email reply to daft ad - dodgy?

Options
  • 03-10-2008 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

Put an ad on daft for my parents and got the following email. Something just doesn't seem right. Am I being too suspicious though? The house is fairly decent and quite old and cottagey. He originally texted so I replied and he sent this....

Hi ,

Thanks for replying to my message.

I seriously express interest in renting the accomodation. I initialy/originally arranged with my friend who was in Ireland to help me meet you for viewing this Saturday, but unfortunately he just told me is unable to do the viewing for my house because he is travelling for a convention tomorrow.

Any way their is no problem. I am satisfy with the little details/info about the accomodation u wrote on the adverts.

So please lets go ahead.

Please i am currently in Offshore Oil Platform in Dubai for training. That is why i have taken time to write all details about me/comprehensive email to you once and for all. I will therefore appreciate if you reply straight away -with relevant Info so that i can quickly arrange payment to secure it.

I am 33 years old Singaporean. I will be renting it with my wife and we have 1 daughter. I work as events and exhition attendance for about 13 differrent Australian,South Korean,UAE companies for exhibition,events presentations, conferences, seminers etc . I will be representing/attending events & exhition in Ireland,UK and in Europe on behalf of the companies.

I will like to rent it for long term (12 months). But in case is not available for long term -no problem. Just let me know how long/how many months i can rent it for?

Please before I depart Dubai i will like to secure it now by sending you a month rent and a month deposit. Please it is require and relevant that before i depart here i must secure the accommodation -that is by sending you at least a month rent to secure it before arriving.

I will be arriving 28rd October 2008

Please REPLY STRAIGHT AWAY WITH THE FOLLOWING so that i can organise the deposit quickly:

(1) Please feel free to let me know how much i have to pay now, in order to secure the accommodation?

(2) Let me know how long i can rent it for?

(3) Your full Name to write on the Cheque (Certified Bank Draft/Bank Cheque) ?

(4)Your address were you will receive the payment Cheque ?

(5) Once again, your mobile and evening phone number, so that I will call you before payment will be sent?

IMPORTANT: My boss/employer usualy pay 3 month bulk rent (That is, 3 months rent cash up front ). So if you desire -i can arrange this when i arrive so that 2 months rent will be paid straight away rather than monthly rent.

Rest assure i will be a good tenant. I am a cosmopolitant, i have live and travel to many countries. Australia, Greece, Canada, South Korea,Italy, Germany Sweden etc.

Some landlord just being sceptical/worried -for no reasons when renting accomodation out to tenant coming from overseas. Please despite i'm not Irish please dont be worry

Once again, Rest assure i will be a good tenant. I am a cosmopolitant, i have live and travel to many countries.

Just let me secure it now and i will then complete the rest things/paperwork etc when i arrive.

Please dont worry, I will bring with me when coming some References. No problem even if you require 2 to 3 references i will bring it when arriving. I will organise it when i get back from offshore platform to the office.

Sorry for my English .

Best Regards

XXXXXXXXXX

Tel/Fax: +12345678910

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

looks like a scam email, might send you a cheque that will clear for a few days, ask for it back, then cheque will bounce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

copacetic wrote: »
    looks like a scam email, might send you a cheque that will clear for a few days, ask for it back, then cheque will bounce.
    Nothing surer,play along with it just to see,and let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

scam. The exact same email (bar finer details obviously) keeps popping up on carzone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

They are always on fecking oil rigs, or in Germany working on a contract or some BS like that in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Yeah too much hassle and too much to lose. Leave it be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 davty10

SCAM..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

thought so...

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

scamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

As clever as they are these Scammers, i wish they could be more original.........like oilrigs, conventions and the like.........COMPLETE BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cobblerusa

Hi,
    It's a scam! I got the same type of email in response to an ad I have for an office share. ONce I said that this woman would have to meet the office mgr first and pay the deposit in person the emails stopped coming.
    Good luck,
    Leslie

• Advertisement

here are the emails I got:

Good Day

Thanks for the quick response. I will be glad to inform you that my dad after much agreed to pay the requested amount { PAYMENT FOR THE FIRST MONTH RENT AND ITS DEPOSIT STARTING FROM MY MOVING IN DATE ) and my staying will be for the lease period you require,which will also be paid on the first of every month. Also it might be of your interest to know that a check will be issued to you in an excess amount,in which the excess fund of 'after you might have deduct your original amount will be sent to me via western union transfer. The excess amount is meant for my traveling allowance,feeding and other expenses. kindly get back to me with the under listed information so that the payment can be issued out Asap.

NAME ON CHECK:
    FULL CONTACT ADDRESS:
    HOME PHONE NUMBER:
    MOBILE PHONE NUMBER:

Also i will be moving into the apartment on the 1st week the rent fee start counting and i will be very honoured if you could furnish me with the required details so that we can proceed on payment.I was born on the 01/05/1981 and attended Woolwich College : Graduated in 2001 (GPA: 3.5) and there after proceeded to the University of Bristol ; A.A., Advertising,Pensacola, Bristol, 05/2001-05/2005, (GPA: 3.25) where i just finished a year ago.I just finished my 3 months professional course in Strategic Alliances from the Goldsmith University London where i am now.I live with my parents here in London for now .My home/parents address here is :

14 Swetenham walk
    Woolwich London
    SE18 7EZ

First email:

came accross the posted rent advert.i ll like to know if its still available. I am in London as at now where i just finished my professional programme and
    relocating. Kindly email me again with the below details so we can proceed and have some things done concerning the Rent. Kindly email me with

1} RENT FEE\MO ?
    2} MOVE-IN DEPOSIT ?
    3} ADDRESS OF THE PLACE FOR RENT ?
    4) WILL YOU TAKE A CASHIERS CHEQUE FOR MOVE-IN DEPOSIT?
    5} HOW LONG RENT LEASE DO YOU REQUIRE?
    6) DO YOU HAVE PICTURES ?
    7) HOW FAR IS THE STORES , BUS-STOP & TRAIN STATION FROM THE PLACE ?
    8) RENT START DATE ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

It is an utter scam.

They might ask for half the money back, you send it thinking that the money they have sent will clear. It won't, it'll bounce and you will have sent them a few hundred as well.

Stay waaaaaaay clear.

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

You say they he texted you first.. out of interest what country did the text come from.

Yep! Agree totally with you. I wonder how many people do get stung by these types of scams??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

minttea wrote: »
    You say they he texted you first.. out of interest what country did the text come from.

Yes, good point, I was also wondering this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

why are these scammers fecking everywhere ?? tried to sell phone and video camera on gumtree and got the " i deffo want this etc , its for my son in africa and its his birthday can u ship to nigeria etc " i mean arent these people meant to be starvng to death or third world , just seems every house or tin hut over there has internet and even on teamtalk,com all the comments for things are all from africa etc

anyway back to op , utter tripe , tell him his wife can move in and you want to test her out first to see how she runs , wind him up and tell him u'll send him a check and for you to request money from him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I usually tell them that as a convicted criminal I'm not allowed use Western Union and as a result I only deal in cash, at night, in public carparks. Come alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    i mean arent these people meant to be starvng to death or third world
    I think you have problems relating to the size of Africa and variety present therein. Your comments are the equivalent of an antipodean asking why we don't have beach barbecues for Christmas.

Many people in Africa run ordinary, although often basic, lives. You shouldn't decide about an entire continent based on news headlines showing a few crisis situations. neither should you decide based on a few thousand scammers operating out of Nigeria or indeed London.

http://images.google.ie/images?um=1&hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=sun+city+south+africa&spell=1

http://images.google.ie/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=pretoria+south+africa&btnG=Search+Images

http://images.google.ie/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=johannesburg+south+africa&btnG=Search+Images

http://images.google.ie/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=lagos+nigeria&btnG=Search+Images

http://images.google.ie/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=cairo&btnG=Search+Images

http://images.google.ie/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=khartoum&btnG=Search+Images

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

I'm trying to rent a place and replied to an ad I saw advertising an apartment to rent and this is the email I got. Not only are these people trying to rip you off and get your money, sounds to me like this guy is trying to manufacture some fake ID's or passports or something out of it as well by asking for the pictures etc. Hope nobody's stupid enough to fall for it.

Thank you for the response regarding my apartment actually i am away to the united kingdom for a project which might take me 3 month,if you want the apartment kindly understand me that i am with the keys and document here in united kingdom we could arrange on how you can get the keys and document.
    So if you are interested in the apartment you get back to me by filling the Rent Application Form below okay,
    RENT APPLICATION FORM
    1)Your Full Name:
    2)Your Full Address & Phone Number:
    3)How old are you?:
    4)Are you married?:
    5)How many people will be living in the house?:
    6)Do you have a pet?:
    7)Do you have a car?:
    8)Occupation?:

10) What is your religion?

11)How many months contract?:
    12)Your Picture and Your Wife's Picture:

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the key to you, please we are giving you all this base on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words, you know that, we do not see yet and only putting everything into Gods hand, so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do this.
    Best Regards.
    Yours Faithfully
    +447024044108

Advertisement