Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortboard help!

Options
  • 03-10-2008 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi
    I was hoping some of you guys could enlighten me Im looking at getting my first shortboard about 6'10 and online shops keep throwing up 6'10 fish fatboy flyers, are these good boards? Are they a different type of shortboard or whats the story with them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

THanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

These type of boards usually have more foam in them than a standard fish/shortboard. Makes paddling a lot easier as you will have more buoyancy.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭surfjunky

I got a big guy fish shaped by Mark McGuire when I was transitioning from a pop-out board. I couldn't recommend this board enough, especially if it is your first fiber-glass board. It is now my go-to board for all conditions. As previous poster mentions loads of volume especially under the shoulders, so easier to paddle and get into waves earlier (more forgiving than traditional shortboard), enough rocker to handle a bit of a drop and the fish tail makes it more maneoverable (good for beginner to intermediate transition I'd say)
    http://www.powersourcesurfboards.com/bigfish.htm
    By the way I've no connection with Mark, just a happy customer.
    As usual a chat with an experienced shaper will result in a better board for your abilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

surfjunky wrote: »
    I got a big guy fish shaped by Mark McGuire when I was transitioning from a pop-out board.

As did I. Brilliant boards and a top bloke too for that matter.

Again, no affiliation.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

Will third the powersource recommendations, great advice instore too, worth a trip.

Advertisement