Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number of speeding offences in single driving session ?

Options
  • 03-10-2008 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Just wondering but does anyone else think its unfair that within an hour you could potentially rack up 12 penalty points and be off the road.

The penalty points system is there to discourage people from speeding. What good is it to be potentially put off the road without even being thought a lesson ?

Are there any laws in regards positioning of speed cameras and distances between them.

I personally believe that after being caught speeding, you should be able to gain any extra points until being notified of the first offence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

What good is it to be potentially put off the road without even being thought a lesson ?

If ye were put off the road and didn't learn a lession, a person would want to pretty stoopid.

In the unlikely case of it ever happening what ye could do is get a good solicitor and let all the notices of speeding go to court. Have the solicitor have all cases adjourned into the one court on the same date and hope to god the judge will see the absolute misfortune of the driver and just give them some penalty points and a rather hefty fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The penalty points system is there to discourage people from speeding.

No isn't to make an extra bit of cash for the goverment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

TheNog wrote: »
    If ye were put off the road and didn't learn a lession, a person would want to pretty stoopid.

He didn't mean that losing the licence was the lesson, he meant getting the points was the lesson.

@op Thats a good point you're making, it is quite unfair but in fairness you'd have to be speeding non stop for a good while for that to happen so if it happed to you, you'd wanna be pretty stupid!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Law does seem a bit off alright. Letting someone drive away after receiving their 5th ticket in less than an hour is pretty odd when they clearly havnt the brains to be behind a wheel in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I understand where you're coming from, but on balance, I don't think it's unfair.

I can't think of another legal transgression where the argument would make sense, so I don't see how speeding should be any different.

If such a scheme as you propose was in place, it would basically give people a free pass to speed as much as they wanted between their first being nabbed and getting the first notice - which people would obviously take advantage of with gusto.

The fact is that on the vast majority of roads, the speed limit is clearly posted, and any driver should be aware of the speed they're travelling at. So, for the most part, anyone who breaks the speed limit is doing do deliberately, knowing the potential legal consequences. I know there are exceptions, but that's what court is for - to argue the exceptions.

Now, before anyone flogs the dead horse by accusing me of being on a high one: I break the speed limit daily. I certainly don't go crazy, but I do so willingly and knowingly, on a road I know can take it, in a car that can take it, in appropriate conditions. But I also do so knowing the potential legal consequences - points + fine, and if and when the day comes that I'm caught, I'll accept the points and fine and move on (just maybe a bit slower).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Well if you got flashed by a radar, usually you know you got pwned :-)
    So if jus after that you decide to keep going fast and over the limit after that and get pwned again, there is not much we can do for you :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If Ireland goes down the same route as the UK with fixed and mobile gatsos you would be well capable of losing your licence in less than an hour with 12 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

If Ireland goes down the same route as the UK with fixed and mobile gatsos you would be well capable of losing your licence in less than an hour with 12 points.

Only if you chose to break the law though. Not trying to be funny there. As someone else pointed out, you would have to be speeding over a pretty long distance to have a chance of meeting so many gatso's, and if you knew the potential was there to lose your licence, then you would be daft to attempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How many people can you come up with evidence of have lost their licence like this? I wont even limit you to the uk, you can use anywhere in the world.

Stekelly wrote: »
    How many people can you come up with evidence of have lost their licence like this? I wont even limit you to the uk, you can use anywhere in the world.
    There are currently over 4,000 fixed Gatso speed cameras in use by police forces and local authorities across the UK and god knows how many mobile units. Some places have a greater density of distribution than others such as greater London and Manchester. Where I was staying in Bromley St east London I could easily have come across several fixed units in the space of one hour. In the UK I think it is three penalty points and a £60 fine for a Gatso.

• Advertisement

There are over 4,000 fixed Gatso speed cameras currently in use by police forces and local authorities across the UK, some places have a greater density of distribution than others such as greater London and Manchester. I have come across several in the space of one hour where I was staying. In the UK I think it is three penalty points and a £60 fine for a Gatso.

Thats a very long winded way to say "no, I cant find any" and completely ignore the question.

Thats a very long winded way to say "no, I cant find any" and completely ignore the question.
    Read my original post again....

Read my original post again....

I did read your post and all I asked was if anyone ever had. I'm well capable of murdering someone, doesn't mean it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

Well firstly I think you`d have to be incredibly unlucky to get caught by gardai enough times to get put off the road, you`d probably have to drive up and down the road, what 6 times?, to get nabbed. I dont think they operate in such a way anyway, why put two speed cameras up the road from each other when all your going to do is tag the same driver twice.

Secondly, penalty points are there for a reason, I accept some roads could use a higher speed limit, but if your consantly bombing along above the speed limit then maybe you deserve a fat wad of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are there any laws in regards positioning of speed cameras and distances between them
    I'm not sure but there are laws regarding speed limits. Are these laws less important? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭patrickc

i know a girl who got six points in the space of 2 hrs, and 4 where off the one garda

I did read your post and all I asked was if anyone ever had. I'm well capable of murdering someone, doesn't mean it will happen.
    Zoom into London on this Gatso map and you will have a fair idea what I am on about.. It is a minefield for any courier on a motorbike. http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk/

This gives you an idea what the authorities have to put up with in the UK :D. http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

Zoom into London on this Gatso map and you will have a fair idea what I am on about.. It is a minefield for any courier on a motorbike. http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk/

This gives you an idea what the authorities have to put up with in the UK :D. http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm

The way those cameras were burnt looks quite impressive actually, almost as if somebody used a flamethrower.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ageary08 wrote: »
    The way those cameras were burnt looks quite impressive actually, almost as if somebody used a flamethrower.
    AFAIK the tried and tested method (initially developed by the (in)famous Tuf Tuf club in the Netherlands see here) involves putting an old tyre over the top of them and setting fire to that.

ageary08 wrote: »
    It's called a "Molotov Necklace", the culprits fill a tyre with petrol and hang it over the device and light it.:)

The latest generation Gatos will digitally transmit the images automatically to the pulse system once the memory module becomes full. They are smaller, perched higher up and are more difficult to "necklace". http://www.speedcam.co.uk/london.htm

This website is from MAD Motorsts Against Drtection. Its spokesman is a guy called "Captain Gatso". http://www.speedcam.co.uk/welcome.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement