Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pellet Stove Information

Options
  • 03-10-2008 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi to one and all.

I am considering getting a pellet burning stove for room heating only. (I don't need to run radiators off of it).

I have tried surfing the net for information but am even more bamboozled that I was before I started looking. One feature of these stoves that really appeals to me is the notion of not needing to bring the flue to roof height, just straight through the wall to a full stop.

Maybe you guys could recommend say the top 3 or 4 brands out there. And ideally... a page/site where you can compare the spec of one against the next.

Of course any of you that are already using one... I would love to hear from you as to your experiences with it. & whether you found it to be economical to run. etc

I have no interest in a full rad heating unit.

Thanks a mill for taking the time to read this. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I bought a bern last year from the guys at www.jedcoe.com I got through 20kg bags of pelletts running it for 2-4 hours a day, the ash pan is only about a third full. burns really efficiently great heat output. the only thing is it makes noise not particularly noisy but noticable. it has a fan for the burner and one for the heat exchanger. I have it in the office and a log burner in the front room which is obviously silent. overall very happy wanted something I could press a button and it would light itself. anything else just ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

Thanks.. The site is helpful. May I ask if you know how close to a wall it can be fitted? I am pushed for space where I'm thinking of installing it. Also does it need a 'hearth' type floor 'mat' under it? Could I be really cheeky and enquire as to the price? I think I may pop over to their supplier in Carlow tomorrow to take a look at them and ask more questions. :) Thanks for the answer!!!

it was 2500 fitted (that included an adapter for my chimney and they did come up to donegal to fit) actually they were the only people where I could get all the grant paperwork sorted (yes I got an 1100 euro grant)
    iwas renovating the room so looked up the building regs
    and put in a tile base.
    they do sell a sell plate for the base I think. can't remember ho from the wall its supposed to be. doesn't need to be far though as its only really hot at the front check the noise though esp. if your thinking of putting it in a front room - sorry for not replying earlier been out all day
    I did like the extraflame stoves mind but couldn't get anyone to install an commission one for the grant.
    you can see them at www.solarenergyireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭baldieman

Hi,
    I had a mulbury pellet stove installed 2 years ago. It looks like a traditional stove, but Im not impressed with its performance. tends to cut out when on low and is quite noisy, isn't giving as much heat as expected.

baldieman do you clean the heat exchanger ? (if its possible on yours) mine has a handle on the front you pull and it cleans all the dust off the tubes just a thought. had it a year and seems to still be going ok agree with oit cutting out on low settings mind you mines running on 5 at the moment (out of six ) rarely run it below three.

just another thing if your using it as the main source of heating bagged pellets can get expensive although i dont know of anyone keeping a hopper for a stove as you would need to bucket the pellets into it

good luck BTW i spent a year looking at different stoves and almost went wit a log burner but this is less hassle

about 7cm from the wall (answer to first post)

• Advertisement
Advertisement