Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volcanic Eruption and Thunderstorm

• 03-10-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Two of nature's most spectacular forces produced an incredible brew in the skies of Chile as a volcanic eruption met a lightning storm. Tons of dust and ash from the eruption of the Chaitén volcano poured into the night sky just as an electric storm passed overhead. The resulting collision created a spectacular sight as lightningflickered around the dust cloud amid the orange glow of the volcano

The eruption was all the more spectacular because the Chaitén volcano, 800 miles (1,290km)south of Santiago, has been dormant for hundreds - if not thousands - of years. The Patagonian volcano began erupting on Friday and the 12-mile-high plume has left vast tracts of land coated with a layer of ash.

A mate of mine emailed me this, the abstract above and the pics. Now i have got to see one of these:D

Volcanoe.jpg

file000.jpg

file002.jpg

file004.jpg

file003.jpg

file001.jpg

file005.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

The pictures really are stunning! There's a few more here
    http://megagalerias.terra.cl/galerias/index.cfm?id_galeria=30734

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

wow, brill pics!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

absolutely stunning, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Really good pics. Very science fiction looking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are far too good to be real! :p (why does stuff like that never happen here?)

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

mike65 wrote: »
    They are far too good to be real! :p (why does stuff like that never happen here?)

Mike

Would love to see the 12 Bens or Croagh Patrick in the state, it certainly would liven up the area a bit.

Absolutely stunning pictures Karl :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I know it's an old thread, but just to point out that it's normally the eruption that creates the lightning - enormous amounts of static build up in the 'cloud' and release as lightning. It's not unknown but it is truly spectacular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Whats unique Confab is that thats a seperate thunderstorm aswell as the static producing lightning from the eruption itself. One has nothing to do with the other only a fantastic display.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Aha, now I see it! The static lightning is orange and blue, the TS lightning is white. Brilliant!

Brilliant pics, I would pay to go see that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

amazing pics:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Now thats a show!!! Stunning pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

ELECTRIC LAVA!!!

COOOOOOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 BalletFreq

trogdor wrote: »
    The pictures really are stunning! There's a few more here
    http://megagalerias.terra.cl/galerias/index.cfm?id_galeria=30734

Do you think if I made that into a bebo profile skin, i'd be copyrighting? or would it be ok? ..do you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

BalletFreq wrote: »
    Do you think if I made that into a bebo profile skin, i'd be copyrighting? or would it be ok? ..do you think!

I have no idea tbh, I don't think anyone'd come after you over a bebo skin anyway but you never know i suppose

Advertisement