Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to poland for a year

Options
  • 03-10-2008 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

hi, i want to move to poland for some time, maby up to a year when im 20(2 years)...i would want to work just like a part-time job but i want to know i speak NO polish, and have very very basic russian(hello, my name is blah)

Would there be jobs there for someone who just wants to use very basic polish...like maby a sports shop or something?

also which is the coolest place in poland to live? i went there on holidays and loved the place but im not so sure where id like to go.

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

hi, i want to move to poland for some time, maby up to a year when im 20(2 years)...i would want to work just like a part-time job but i want to know i speak NO polish, and have very very basic russian(hello, my name is blah)
    Polish and Russian are very different.. And most of people I think don't really speak Russian there so I don't think it will be helpful tho.

Would there be jobs there for someone who just wants to use very basic polish...like maby a sports shop or something?
    I heard that there are some Irish pubs in Krakow and they are looking for workers in Ireland for the summers. Sounds like pretty good adventure!

Hard to say is that easy to find a job without Polish.. It's like looking for a job in Ireland without single word in English. Maybe some waiter or hotel industry?

Be also aware that part time salaries, like everywhere I think, might be not enough for living.. It's like having part time in Ireland and trying to live for that.
    also which is the coolest place in poland to live? i went there on holidays and loved the place but im not so sure where id like to go.
    Each corner of the country is different and unique.

North is very active at summer, lots of festivals, good local beer and beaches. Cities are really nice there, especialy during the summer.

okolica_04.jpg

Masuria
    (North-East) is land of wild lakes and forests. Paradise for fishing. Many world famous fishers comes there for training.

Poles used to go there for holidays, ie. book a wooden house in the forest right beside the lake, rent some small boat and go fishing, then BBQ with friends at evenings.

275_mazury_4.jpg

Bialowieski National Park located in Masuria is very wild and untouched place, home of wild bisons. Famous for its Bison Vodka.

clip_image007.jpg

West and Southern west
    West is very diverce. From the beautiful hills on the south to the dry desert somewhere in the middle. Famous for Krakow, Wroclaw and few other nice places.

Krakow is good if you like culture, good restaurants and tourists. Wroclaw is growing city (I heard its the fastest growing city in the country). So might be good if you want to start some career. Also Wroclaw has really beautiful Old Town.

Krakow:
    002.jpg

Bledowska Desert:
    z4397562X.jpg

Silesia (polish Śląsk) is very industrial. Lots of factories and mines. Different architecture than in the rest of the country. Years ago it was independent authonomy with own police, government and tax system so many people there used to describe themselves as Silesians instead of Polish.

South isvery mountained. People have really funny accent there.. Sometimes its hard to understand them, even for me being native Polish.

If you like large mountains, ski and snow, go to Zakopane. Very beautiful place and friendly people. Great food, local cheese and music.

zakopane3.jpg

Warsaw, the capitol, is good for business and good for money. City offer great night life, lots of cinemas, large shopping malls etc, but rents are overpriced there...

panorama.jpg

zdjecie39.jpg

So as you see it's very diverse. It depend of you what kind of climate/architecture and food you like. Also prices and money are very different from each other in different parts of the country.

I posted only few places, theres much much more interesting places there. Just have a closer look on them. I'm pretty sure you can find something you're gonna like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

For great info see Here http://www.polishforums.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

Basically +1 to everything WooPeeA said,

though
    WooPeeA wrote: »

South i People have really funny accent there..

oi! it's not funny it's unique :P

What I can add here is:

if you think you might get lonely and would like to be able to meet up with a few Irish people from time to time, consider going to Kraków, Poznan or Lublin - they have quite large Irish population :) In Poznan and Lublin, you'll even find a few Irish speakers - both Irish and POlish - as the universities run Celtic Studies courses. All three of them are beautiful cities with rich culture and nightlife (personally, I'd recommend Krakow or Lublin - the latter mostly because I live there!)

As for jobs - well, one way of getting extra money is giving grinds - people in Poland are very much into learning languages and while they consider language schools best places to learn about the grammar and lexis, they are always on the lookout for native speakers to practice their conversational skills with! :) Private conversation classes with a native speaker cost about 50 zl an hours (an equivalent of 10 pints) :)

Also, you might want to consider doing a TEFL course in Ireland before you go - that way you can get a job even before leaving Ireland and the pay is excellent

PM me if you need any more info!

madziuda wrote: »
    All three of them are beautiful cities with rich culture and nightlife (personally, I'd recommend Krakow or Lublin - the latter mostly because I live there!)
    Good to see somebody from the area.. I was born in Lublin! But never really lived there.. I lived kinda beside for about 10 years, 1 hour drive north from the city. Unfortunately I saw Lublin only few times, but as I remember it's really nice place. :)
    As for jobs - well, one way of getting extra money is giving grinds - people in Poland are very much into learning languages and while they consider language schools best places to learn about the grammar and lexis, they are always on the lookout for native speakers to practice their conversational skills with! :) Private conversation classes with a native speaker cost about 50 zl an hours (an equivalent of 10 pints) :)
    Oh yeah, that's a good idea for part time job! I have a friend who teach English like that, she works only 4-5 hours a day and has no other job and doing pretty good with that. I don't know how much does she earn but I know it's enough for studies, holidays time to time and some outs at weekends. ;)

Yeah, that's more or less what I'm doing. Great job, seeing as you get to meet lots of people, learn about new cultures and earn a few quid.

I'm not from Lublin originally (I'm one of those Southerners with a funny accent :P) but have studied there and am staying there for the next 6 months or so - it has changed a lot - and for the better at that!

Personally I'd also recommend Rzeszow to the OP - it's a beautiful little city, one of the fastest growing ones (in ecomomic terms) in Poland, so there are jobs to be found. It's beautiful and pretty conveniently located - great gateway to the absolutely stunning Bieszczady mountains, only 1.5 hrs drive away from Krakow, and the rents are very reasonable! :)

So yeah, OP, you're spoilt for choice really :)

• Advertisement

Oh yeah.. Bieszczady National Park is one of my favorites places ever! So beautiful and untouched.

BieszczadyNationalPark.jpg

g19d.jpg

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Oh yeah.. Bieszczady National Park is one of my favorites places ever! So beautiful and untouched.

A man (?) after my own heart! When I'm old and rich (or young but with a rich husband) I'm going to move there and spend my days alternatively hiking or staring dreamily at the mountains;)

2823783439a6263474433o.jpg
    Bieszczady in Autumn

image002314-thumb.jpg

Aurora Borealis over Bieszczady in 2005

To stay on topic though,

OP, just to encourage you to do a TEFL course, take a look at the of jobs available for native speakers in the education field in POland
    http://www.tefl.com/jobs/results.html?searchOpts%5Bage%5D=&searchOpts%5Bcou_id%5D=171&searchOpts%5BtitleKeywords%5D=&searchOpts%5Bjo_category%5D=0&searchOpts%5Bec_id%5D=0&x=12&y=9

Note: these are the ones that you can get while still in Ireland, plenty more available in the country once you get here

Advertisement