Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for people on Disiability Allowance?

Options
  • 03-10-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I put this in the State Benefits section too but I thought someone heere might have an idea aswell.

What I want to know is the rent cap higher if your on disibility?

Ive been trying to find somewhere for awhile and I rent on welfare.ie and found out that the rent cap for living alone is €130 a week.

I havent had any luck finding anywhere suitable for that price.

(There are places but not suitable places)

I was getting really down about it and was talking to my uncle and he said the rent cap doesnt count for people on disibility.

He told me that if your on disability you can get €650 a month.

I went over to my local CWO to find out from her and she said the cap is €130 (€520 a month).

I went back to my uncle and told him that and he said no she was wrong but that they dont like to tell people that you can have more.

So who is right?confused.gif

I dont want to try and rent somewhere only to get turned down for rent allowance.

Ive been having so much trouble even finding somewhere that will take rent allowance.mad.gif The places I can find that are suitable are usually between €700-800.

Anyone here having the same trouble finding somwhere or have trouble with rents caps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Wrong, the rent cap applies to people on DA as well. I should know I've been on DA and getting rent relief for two years (well not anymore, I'm in uni in Wales now).

At the moment the rent cap is €130 per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sheena K

Thats what I figured.

Its such a joke what I am supposed to do.

The only places I can find are €700 plus.

Most landlords wont even take RA.

I got a list of landlords that do take it off a friend who got it from Threshold or Focus Ireland (I forget which) and all would accept RA but ALL the rents where above the cap.

Plus half of them said accept RA but wanted work references or said they only wanted professionals.

If you're working why would you be on RA?

I even tried ringing around and not saying will you take RA instead Ill say would you accept a tenant who is disabled and most will say yes and then when I say I get RA y no.

One guy said yes if i would be working. I said my disability prevented me form working but I could get RA that would go straight into his account.

He said well what do you do all day if your not working?

I didnt know what to say I wasnt expecting to be asked that so I said why?

He said he didnt want to rent to someone who would be in the house all day. Its too hard on the house.

Whats that about?:confused:

I mean Ill accept RA as long as you dont live there "too much", as long as I only live there a little bit.:eek:

Where am I supposed to go?

Something really needs to be done especially for people like me whose situation isnt going to change.

The stress of worrying about where ill live is killing me altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

I don't have any contact details for you but I do know people on disability who get far more than E520 a month for rent allowance. Maybe you could get onto your local citizens information centre, I have found them very helpful in the past. Best of luck with this and remember keep on at them they don't seem to give out anything unless you hassle them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Sheena K wrote: »
    Thats what I figured.

Its such a joke what I am supposed to do.

The only places I can find are €700 plus.

Most landlords wont even take RA.

I got a list of landlords that do take it off a friend who got it from Threshold or Focus Ireland (I forget which) and all would accept RA but ALL the rents where above the cap.

Plus half of them said accept RA but wanted work references or said they only wanted professionals.

If you're working why would you be on RA?

I even tried ringing around and not saying will you take RA instead Ill say would you accept a tenant who is disabled and most will say yes and then when I say I get RA y no.

One guy said yes if i would be working. I said my disability prevented me form working but I could get RA that would go straight into his account.

He said well what do you do all day if your not working?

I didnt know what to say I wasnt expecting to be asked that so I said why?

He said he didnt want to rent to someone who would be in the house all day. Its too hard on the house.

Whats that about?:confused:

I mean Ill accept RA as long as you dont live there "too much", as long as I only live there a little bit.:eek:

Where am I supposed to go?

Something really needs to be done especially for people like me whose situation isnt going to change.

The stress of worrying about where ill live is killing me altogether.
    If he has treated you different cos you have a disability you may have a case under the equal status act call the equality authority and tell them the situation ask for advice http://www.equality.ie/index.asp?docID=343 and see info booklet at http://www.equality.ie/index.asp?locID=18&docID=-1

Advertisement