Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Cat House/Shelter needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mary123 wrote: »
    I really hope in yrs to come when ur baby is no longer a baby and decides that she is going to go out and get all mucky that u decide not to banish her to the shed.
    Using a ludicrous analogy/exaggeration to make a point. If there's an indication that the OP would treat her child the same way as she'd treat her cat (which ISN'T as simple as just banishing the cat outdoors for bringing a bit of mud in - come on, let's not lose the run of ourselves) then I haven't found it. Funny, she's also getting accused of being one of those OTT super-protective mums. She has explained in great detail why she has to come to this decision and she clearly cares a lot about her cat, even saying she'd like a palace of a shelter for the cat - but that's notably ignored...
    Sorry but because of people like u my kids and me are going through heart break today. A old boxer that was dumped, what ever, not sure, was about to be put down a month ago i took him in till a home could be found for him, not going through it all now but today he died. i have 2 kids that are crying there eyes out, if them people took care of this dog, my kids wouldnt be suffering and poor Rocky would have died with owners hed knew all his life, not strangers.
    I have also homed nearly 30 kittens this yr because of people like u. Still have 3 here looking for homes. If u cant mind ur cat give her to someone that can.
    So dont u say that we are judging, or right maybe i am but u come to my house, see these pets and u tell me what ur doing is right.
    "People like her"? Surely you're not comparing the OP to those cruel, callous individuals who abuse and neglect pets? Seriously? Lol.
    It seems u only have a nice word to say about people if they say what u want them to say. Really if this is the case u shouldnt be here.
    No, it seems she takes exception to being addressed as if she's a heartless bitch to her pet when she's nothing of the sort.

I lived near a family who just dumped the cat outside once the baby was born - no shelter for him. Clearly the OP's attitude is a million miles away from theirs, yet she's being compared to people like them. Of course she'd get defensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

TargetWido, you claim that this cat has had a really rough life and make yourself out to be a saint for saving it.
    If all this was true, then you would not be kicking the cat out of the house now just because you have a baby.

I noted a mention of "brand new carpets" and "new house" it seems to me you are more concerned about your shiny new house than your pets, who are to live their lives in a kennel outside.

I hope you're not one of these modern mums with a Dettol wipe permanently in-hand, and will never let her child come into contact with a single germ, and then wonders why the child ends up getting every cold going.

PS Word to the wise- it's rather humorous that you call other people bullies, yet you are calling them every name under the sun.
    And as for the swearing, the problem with swearing is that it tends to make people look uneducated.

Elephant (Since we are abbreviating usernames)..

Can you show me where the help is in this comment please? Maybe it's my uneducated reading skills but I cant spot it.

Thank you Dudess!

Finally someone with sense has come to my rescue.
    Since you are a moderator and since I have gratefully received the help I needed from Jack earlier can we close this thread please so that they might stop kicking me and I can go away with one person having been kind to me?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

She is a mod of another forum, not here. OP how long do you have the cat?

Night all.
    I found what I needed and I got plenty more besides.
    Lovely people.:rolleyes:
    Tiggy will have her new Cat Condo before this night week and THAT is all that counts.
    Sleep well.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Elephant (Since we are abbreviating usernames)..

Can you show me where the help is in this comment please? Maybe it's my uneducated reading skills but I cant spot it

...Thank you Dudess!

Finally someone with sense has come to my rescue.
    Since you are a moderator and since I have gratefully received the help I needed from Jack earlier can we close this thread please so that they might stop kicking me and I can go away with one person having been kind to me? .

I agree, it must be your uneducated reading skills, otherwise you would see the bold red writing in Dudess' signature about how she is only a moderator in the forum she moderates :rolleyes:

As a matter of interest, was the dog kept indoors until the cat came along?

OP wont answer when she got the cat. Probably because she said in one post her beloved indoor cat, the referred to her being feral, while saying she's a year old. Does not add up.

I noted a mention of "brand new carpets" and "new house" it seems to me you are more concerned about your shiny new house than your pets, who are to live their lives in a kennel outside.
    Yeah - what's the problem with that? I love cats but they're still animals and not in need of the comforts humans enjoy. Enough food and a very good shelter (which is what the OP is looking for) are all that's required for a cat at the end of the day. I prefer to give cats attention and affection but they don't actually NEED these things. Although it seems the OP would be very affectionate and attentive to her cat too, even though the cat would no longer be indoors. The OP has said the cat is feral anyway so will never be fully domesticated.

No doubt there'll be bafflement expressed as to my comment that I love cats. Well I do - very much so. I just don't put them on a ridiculous pedestal. And my cats have always been indoors/outdoors.

Dudess, the problem is not the cat being indoor/outdoor. It's the fact the cat was an indoor cat, baby comes along and cat is now totally outdoor. It is probably totally unable to look after itself outside 24/7 . I'm sure the OP is going to ensure the cats comfort.

OP, how long do you have the cat? <-- does anybody else find it strange she will not answer this?

Yes but the OP has given other reasons - the size of the house, the fact that it's been done up. I don't think it's absolutely ideal either, but she's coming in for some ludicrous nonsense - compared to an animal abuser and someone who'd banish her child to the shed. Come on! I agree she's getting very abusive but that stuff, while not expressed in strong language, is very personal too - "people like you" etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

OP, how long do you have the cat? <-- does anybody else find it strange she will not answer this?

I'm finding it a bit weird that you've posted the same question (which is irrelevant to the OP's original query) 6 times in the past 1 hour and 40 mins.

The reason I ask is because a one year old cat has been refered to as an indoor cat and a feral cat, at one year old? I don't see how it can be both, so i'm looking for clarification on how long the op has had the cat. If the cat was feral, before the OP getting it, it will take to the outdoors easier, but will be more likely to wander. Also the fact the OP is refusing to answer, or even acknowledge the question is making me all the more confused. I'd be loathe to call someone a liar, so I wont, but I'm very confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Yeah I found that strange too...

I am particularly interested to know if the dog has ever lived indoors, and if the dog moving outdoors just happened to coincide with the arrival of the cat..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

TBH the cat's age, how long it's been with its current owner and the degree to which it is or is not feral are all pretty much irrelevant. The OP's question was simple: "where to buy a cat-house?". Most of the responses in this thread have ignored this question and instead challenged the OP's reasons for wanting to keep the cat outside.

You can probably see how this would be considered unhelpful. And frankly, while everyone's entitled to their opinions on how cats should be kept and the relative merits of keeping them indoors or outdoors, a thread where someone wants specific advice on keeping them outdoors is unlikely to be a place where the OP will appreciate responses detailing why she should keep her cat indoors instead.

Fysh wrote: »
    You can probably see how this would be considered unhelpful. And frankly, while everyone's entitled to their opinions on how cats should be kept and the relative merits of keeping them indoors or outdoors, a thread where someone wants specific advice on keeping them outdoors is unlikely to be a place where the OP will appreciate responses detailing why she should keep her cat indoors instead.
    I completly agree, but frankly, a forum where people care about animals is not the right place to ask advice on something that is bad for the animal.

(I think most people can agree that while the op obviously loves her indoor/feral cat, she is not doing what is best for him at all)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I completly agree, but frankly, a forum where people care about animals is not the right place to ask advice on something that is bad for the animal.

(I think most people can agree that while the op obviously loves her indoor/feral cat, she is not doing what is best for him at all)

Well, this forum has shown a strong bias against the idea of keeping animals outside and doesn't seem to foster any debate on the subject nor discussion of the relative pros and cons- the previous threads I've seen where people ask about keeping cats outdoors have seen comparatively few people explaining how to do so and what the advantages are, and comparatively high numbers of people claiming that the outdoors is too dangerous a place to allow a cat and that they'll get killed. (Very little discussion about whether this varies in urban and rural areas, or how to protect against it, just a view that if you want to keep a cat outside you're pretty much unfit to keep a cat because you don't care about it enough).

Aside from which, jumping to a conclusion about whether the OP is looking out for the interests of her cat based on what you're inferring from off-topic discussion in the thread where she asked about how to keep her cat comfortable outdoors is a bit premature, not to mention disingenous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thread closed pending a complete mod review.

What I can guarantee is there will be bannings as a result of this thread. The level of insults and abuse in this thread are outrageous and there will be severe action taken against all offenders.

There have been serious accusations made and abuse and insults made by PM. If any of these are found to be genuine the senders may be sitebanned at the discretion of the admins.

To say that I am unhappy is an understatement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement