Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats

Options
  • 03-10-2008 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I wish that cat owners would try to keep their pets in their own gardens. I have a sick 11 yr old Labrador who has a chronic heart condition and is just recovering from surgery, and a 3yr old Labrador cross. My neighbour got a young cat and this cat is in my garden more often than he is at home. I am going around nearly an acre of my garden to pick up his/her faeces so my dogs dont eat it. I have to go out in the morning and make sure this cat is not in my garden before i let my dogs out, as I dont want my 11 yr old Lab chasing her and getting herself worked up. I have spoken to my neighbour and they just laughed at me, saying cats are not dogs and can come and go as they please. This cat has to cross the main road to get into my garden and how it has escaped up to now I dont know, but if i can catch it this cat it is going into shelter. I have asked nicely twice so I not going to put up with it much longer and my vet says its not fair on my dogs or good for my dogs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Teach the younger dog to chase it he'll keep it out , or borrow a trap and bring the cat over to the owner and tell her she needs to teach it to stay of the roads as you had to rescue it before it was hit by a car while it sat in the middle of the road that should give her enough of a fright to want to find away to stop it crossing the road, if not then catch it and bring it to a shelter, she shouldn't have a cat she doesn't discourage from going on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Catch it, take it to a no-kill shelter and tell its owner it was killed on the road.

Your neighbours' attitude is pure ignorance, and you'll probably find it you don't bring the cat to a shelter, it'll be dead on the road pretty soon - that is if your younger labrador cross doesn't kill it one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭turtle dubh

Thanks for replies. The cat was in my garden this morning and I went to my neighbour and told them that if they did not come and collect their cat, I was going to put it in a crate and take it far away. I have to say it was so funny watching them try to catch it but it did run back to their house. I think this threat may have worked as their kids got really upset and pleaded with me not to take it away. I showed them my Lab with her 23 stitches and why I didnt want the cat in my garden and they were far better behaved than the parents. So I see what happens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Good on you. I hope it works out for you. (And I have this image of kitty going "oh yeah! a game! cool! and skipping just out of reach every time its owners got near :D)

Advertisement