Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car accident with uninsured driver

Options
  • 03-10-2008 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was recently involved in a car accident with a driver who abandoned his car at the accident scene and the insurance on his motor vehicle did not relate to the car. There is €20,000 worth of damage done to my car (this is a new car and value now is €38000. I am now claiming on my own insurance and the insurance company say my car can be repaired and do not deem it as a write off. My concern is that which such damage done to my car, will this affect it's trade in value when I go to change it. Does anybody know what percentage damage has to be incurred before the car is deemed as a write off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Some insurance allows for a like-for-like replacement for new cars, damaged. So, if it's very recent, you might be entitled to a span new car already, without fixing it........

Don't forget, the residual value of your car will be destroyed - any subsequent search of your car's history will show it as damaged/repaired, which may make it, ultimately, unsaleable. That needs to be added into the repair economy calculation.

Don't let go on this.

Outside of your insurer, you may still have grounds for same, against the Motor Insurance Bureau. It is they who will pay for your claim in any event, and so I'd push your legal rep to ensure that you get a like-for-like, new, from them, and don't settle for anything less.

Oh, and to giddy-them-up, add the cost of (a similar class) hire car for the duration of the claim and repair process - add that to the damage, and they shouldn't be long consigning your one to the scrapyard, and giving you the cheque.

Make sure this claim doesn't go against your NCB, either - the other party should take the fall for that...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

ALDEN59 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what percentage damage has to be incurred before the car is deemed as a write off

Check your policy documents, as this may vary from insurer to insurer.

I've seen it quoted by Norwich Union / Aviva that if repairs exceed 60% of the market value it is deemed a write-off. I've also seen it specified that new for old may apply if the car is less than 12 months old, but only in the case of a write off - (for a motorcycle this can be shorter, at 6 months).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I always thought that the car was only a write off if the cost of fixing it was more than what its valued at?

Also, do you have to claim off your own insurance? Is there not an organisation out there that deals with claims made against uninsured drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get the Gardai to either follow up the registered owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

peanuthead wrote: »
    I always thought that the car was only a write off if the cost of fixing it was more than what its valued at?

Also, do you have to claim off your own insurance? Is there not an organisation out there that deals with claims made against uninsured drivers?

That's not a write off, that's called Beyond Economic Repair or BER. A write off is a car that has been distroyed and should never end up on the road again whereas a BER vehicle can be repaired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I thought it was standard these days that some kind of significant claim on a less than 1 year old car entitled you to a brand new one. I don't know any details though. As others said, check the small print of your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Darragh29 wrote: »
    That's not a write off, that's called Beyond Economic Repair or BER. A write off is a car that has been distroyed and should never end up on the road again whereas a BER vehicle can be repaired.

It's not that Black and White - a write off can refer to insurance purposes only. The ins co can sell the salvage to someone to legtimately repair and put back on the road..........

Forget chasing the reg'd owner - you're in the realms of Civil Action, which could take years. And if they plead inability to pay, you'll get nothing, anyway. Get on to the Bureau, it's what you pay for in your premium, and get your new car - let them recoup the money from the reg'd owner if they're so inclined........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

galwaytt wrote: »
    It's not that Black and White - a write off can refer to insurance purposes only. The ins co can sell the salvage to someone to legtimately repair and put back on the road..........

Forget chasing the reg'd owner - you're in the realms of Civil Action, which could take years. And if they plead inability to pay, you'll get nothing, anyway. Get on to the Bureau, it's what you pay for in your premium, and get your new car - let them recoup the money from the reg'd owner if they're so inclined........

Surely the Gardai will be chasing him up anyways for driving without insurance and fleeing the scene of an accident ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Surely the Gardai will be chasing him up anyways for driving without insurance and fleeing the scene of an accident ?

I would imagine that the documents relating to the car bear no connection to the driver, its most likely fake / stolen discs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tom fada

Sorry to hear about your bit of bad luck. I had considerable damage done to a new Golf a couple of years ago and found the insurance company slow to deem it unrepairable. The main dealer I took it to helped my case by keeping the estimate a bit on the high side. This suited them as I eventually got a new replacement through the same dealer.
    As other users have said, do not accept the insurance company's first offer and fight your case. Generally more than 60% damage = irrepairable so you're close. I wasn't as unlucky as yourself to be hit by an uninsured driver but I did claim through my own insurance to qualify for the new replacement and they then claimed the costs back from the other company. I still have my full no claims bonus but as this was technically a claim I cannot insure my no claims bonus for 3 years. Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Samie1

I just stumbled upon this thread (searching for something completely unrelated), and you've probably already sorted things. but there is a company http://www.mibi.ie/ which deals with people in you're situation, compensating victims of road traffic accidents caused by uninsured and unidentified vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Reading threads like this make me mad, I'm sorry for your troubles OP and I hope they catch this scumbag. I still don't understand why all Garda cars don't come equipped with Automatic License Plate Recognition systems. The funds needed to install such systems could easily be recuperated from fines from uninsured, untaxed, no NCT, non display of L Plates and unaccompanied driving (easily done if car if driven/insured by L driver). I'm probably watching too much Road Wars...

Advertisement