Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever got an STI screening done?

• 04-10-2008 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I wouldn't mind getting one of these done as I haven't never gotten it done before! Mainly for piece of mind really

The thing is -- why do they have to stick a cotton bud up your c*ck? :( lol. From what I gather, they do! Could they not just maybe test some semen? :(

Is it as horrible as one might think?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

Its not that bad, its uncomfortable but not painful. Its worth getting the check done. weigh up the benefits
    Pros: Avoid infertility and infecting partners
    Cons: 30 seconds minor discomfort.
    Seriously, you hardly feel it. i know how hard it is to believe that but its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

When I went, they thanked me for alerting them to a number of new diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

This may prove useful, it answered my questions and best of all
    A. Its free
    B. You get the results straight away. Going to a GP can involve a bit of a wait for results. Not good if you want peace of mind.

www.guide2guide.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I wouldn't mind getting one of these done as I haven't never gotten it done before! Mainly for piece of mind really

The thing is -- why do they have to stick a cotton bud up your c*ck? :( lol. From what I gather, they do! Could they not just maybe test some semen? :(

Cheers

It really is a simple procedure. Don't worry about it. You do get a cotton bud down the knob end but it is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hey folks,

Cheers

They have to take a swab from just inside the very tip of the penis.
    The penis has it's own healthly bacteria which helps protect the uthera
    ( pipe you piss out of ) as it is an entrance to the body.

There are a few sti will tend to lurk there and the swab is to take a sample of the naturally occurring bodily fluid from there to check it for signs of infections.

It takes 30 seconds and from what I have been told is a hell of a lot more comfortable then the pelvic exam female have to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Thaedydal wrote: »
    They have to take a swab from just inside the very tip of the penis.
    The penis has it's own healthly bacteria which helps protect the uthera
    ( pipe you piss out of ) as it is an entrance to the body.

There are a few sti will tend to lurk there and the swab is to take a sample of the naturally occurring bodily fluid from there to check it for signs of infections.

It takes 30 seconds and from what I have been told is a hell of a lot more comfortable then the pelvic exam female have to have.

+1

the only discomfort is the embarassment of it all (especially when it's a female doctor, yes folks, she was female!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There is slight discomfort but it's not actually painful and the peace of mind when the tests come back clear is well worth it.

Although you will feel a bit odd down there for a while after. Well I did anyway - not being used to having things go up there. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Excellent show on Channel 4 at the moment called The Sex Education Show. And they've got a great website. One aspect they deal with is STI checks. CHeck out this video.

http://sexperienceuk.channel4.com/education/about/male-sti-check-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

much worse than the tiny bit of discomfort from the bud is the embarrassing half-faint i threw when they were taking a blood sample. they even went and got me some lucozade :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Hey folks,

Cheers

If you are man enough to be be sexually active be man enough to go for an STI screening. Its a walk in the park and you'll feel great afterwards when you get the all clear.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Excellent show on Channel 4 at the moment called The Sex Education Show. And they've got a great website. One aspect they deal with is STI checks. CHeck out this video.

2-3cm!! :eek:

Tbh, that part was hard to watch.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the swab tested for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

2-3cm!! :eek:

Tbh, that part was hard to watch.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the swab tested for?

Bacterial infections like chlamydia, gonnorrea etc. Though you need bloods for syphallis
    Thaedydal wrote:

When I had it it was more like 5-10 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I have no reason to go tbh, but it's one of those things like going to the dentist or doctor for me.

Piece of mind tho cos I guess ya never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Drawing Dead

kaimera wrote: »
    I have no reason to go tbh, but it's one of those things like going to the dentist or doctor for me.

Piece of mind tho cos I guess ya never know.

can you have an std even though you have no symptoms? has anyone had a test even though showed no signs of symptoms and the results came back that they had an infection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

can you have an std even though you have no symptoms? has anyone had a test even though showed no signs of symptoms and the results came back that they had an infection?

gonorea(sp) has no symptoms in males but they can carry it as far as i know there are no symptoms in women either but it can make them infertile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

PeakOutput wrote: »
    gonorea(sp) has no symptoms in males but they can carry it as far as i know there are no symptoms in women either but it can make them infertile
    *chlamydia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

nkay1985 wrote: »

That was.....more to the point than one would expect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

zuroph wrote: »
    *chlamydia.
    Peakoutput wrote:

It's much more likely a man will see symptoms of both those infections as the exit of the urinary tract is visible. It's possible in both cases and genders for there to be no symptoms

Chlamydia can cause men infertility also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

clearly my sex ed sucked

goin for a test next week first time NOT looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

clearly my sex ed sucked

Good luck!

• Advertisement

clearly my sex ed sucked

As creepy as this sound, tell us all about when its done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

sti tend to accumulate at the base of your lad, which is what the umbrella test is for.it is pushed to the base whereit opens up and scrapes a sample on the way out.

if you've ever had unprotected sex, you should get one done. theres a wellman clinic in laurel lodge, which is better than sitting in st james hospital with a load of junkies.

i hope you don't mind another man shaking your lad in his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

that umberella thing is an urban legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

urban legend? are you for real. it is the quickest and most reliable method of checking for gonorrhea or syphilis. the spores of the disease take up home at the base of the shaft. the tool looks like a rivet and opens like an umbrella and drags a sample of the spores out with it. i assume they are spores.

i had it done a few years back - burst condom, followed a week later by a kidney infection. unrelated, but i didn't know that at the time. i assumed i had a dose.

Great way of making sure you are careful in future, as its not a pleasant feeling, even though it was done in seconds, it seemed like forever.

the peace of mind is whats most important. the irish still a stigma when it comes to such matters. the shame factor lives strong still. whether you think you something or not, if you've had a few partners or one nighters, you should get checked out at some time.

and don't forget that oral sex is a huge player in transmitting sti's.

kitser wrote: »
    urban legend? are you for real. it is the quickest and most reliable method of checking for gonorrhea or syphilis. the spores of the disease take up home at the base of the shaft. the tool looks like a rivet and opens like an umbrella and drags a sample of the spores out with it. i assume they are spores.

Spores would imply a mold (sp? mac spell check tells me im right but not so sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

i had it done a few years back - burst condom, followed a week later by a kidney infection. unrelated, but i didn't know that at the time. i assumed i had a dose.

Great way of making sure you are careful in future, as its not a pleasant feeling, even though it was done in seconds, it seemed like forever.

the peace of mind is whats most important. the irish still a stigma when it comes to such matters. the shame factor lives strong still. whether you think you something or not, if you've had a few partners or one nighters, you should get checked out at some time.

and don't forget that oral sex is a huge player in transmitting sti's.

http://www.sexualhealthbirmingham.co.uk/default.asp?page=345

[/QUOTE]
    Q.6 Is it true in men they put an umbrella down your penis and scrape it for a sample?

No! This is a myth that has spread amongst the general public.

The test involves a simple urine test and the sample is sent away. The test is extremely sensitive and will typically test for Chlamydia and gonorrhoea.

If there are symptoms of a discharge, then a very small plastic loop may be used to take a sample from the end of the penis..[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ryoishin wrote: »
    http://www.sexualhealthbirmingham.co.uk/default.asp?page=345

Q.6 Is it true in men they put an umbrella down your penis and scrape it for a sample?

No! This is a myth that has spread amongst the general public.

The test involves a simple urine test and the sample is sent away. The test is extremely sensitive and will typically test for Chlamydia and gonorrhoea.

If there are symptoms of a discharge, then a very small plastic loop may be used to take a sample from the end of the penis..

Saying it's just a urine test seems wrong to me. I had no symptoms at all but yet the doctor swabbed my penis and it was uncomfortable but not painful. It wasn't an umbrella like device I don't think (although I was staring hard at the ceiling while he was doing it so I didn't actually see it).

So it's not true in Ireland anyway that they only take a swab if you have discharge. (incidentally - all tests came back negative. I'm clean as a whistle!:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sti tend to accumulate at the base of your lad, which is what the umbrella test is for.it is pushed to the base whereit opens up and scrapes a sample on the way out.

if you've ever had unprotected sex, you should get one done. theres a wellman clinic in laurel lodge, which is better than sitting in st james hospital with a load of junkies.

i hope you don't mind another man shaking your lad in his hand.

That test doesnt happen, I asked the doc about it when i got tested and she laughed about it, saying its the one thing men fear more than anything else about being tested, doesnt happen, they use a cotton bud, takes about 5 seconds, feels a bit strange but doesnt hurt

Advertisement