Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncle wants to change tennets

Options
  • 04-10-2008 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

My uncle wants to change tennets. He doesn't like the current ones that are in the property. Because a they are rude whenever he has dealings with them (poor spoken english) and b they are about to have a baby (she's almost ready to drop). He doesn't like the idea of a child messing up the carpets etc.

So the question he has is this; can he tell them it's for sale, give them one month notice, get them out and get in new tenets? Could they do anything about this? they have been there 4 years so he's afraid they might have some rights.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh man, it's landlords like this who make it almost a certanity than families won't rent in Ireland and felt under pressure to buy a "starter home"

They are entitled to 112 days notice.
    http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240

Sure why not keep them? As a family they aren't going to be having parties or mad sessions, not with a baby in the house.
    Who cares if they are rude, if they mind the place and pay on the time then it should work.
    A sign of a landlord-tenant relationship that works is they don't have to deal with each other. I don't talk to my landlord unless I've a problem and they get money through internet banking and don't hassle me with inspections.
    Works just fine and sure I'm even pretty rude :pac:

Holding out for a "professional"? They are around but they are smart and the next tenants may well pay less. Rents are dropping you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

tommy8969 wrote: »
    My uncle wants to change tennets. He doesn't like the current ones that are in the property. Because a they are rude whenever he has dealings with them (poor spoken english) and b they are about to have a baby (she's almost ready to drop). He doesn't like the idea of a child messing up the carpets etc.

So the question he has is this; can he tell them it's for sale, give them one month notice, get them out and get in new tenets? Could they do anything about this? they have been there 4 years so he's afraid they might have some rights.

Good God!!! He should just put the house up for sale, let the tenents stay until its sold, and never darken the world of landlords again - he's obviously not cut out for it.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The karma involved in kicking a pregnant woman into the streets because 'the baby might mess up the carpet' would surely result in a meteor hitting your uncles home a few minutes later...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

micmclo wrote: »
    Sure why not keep them? As a family they aren't going to be having parties or mad sessions, not with a baby in the house.

+1

More chance of a carpet being damaged during a party, than by a little baby...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Troll?

Otherwise, your uncle's a dispicable knacker and gives decent landlords a bad name.

TBH I think he should turf them out so they can take him to the cleaners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hey tommy8969, I find it hard to believe that they have renting in Ireland for over 4 years and still have poor spoken English. Of course it's possible but it doesn't quite fit.

Also, any tenant that has been in a property for over 4 years is obviously reliable and happy in the place. A landlord would be mad to lose a reliable long-term tenant.
    If they go, then the place is probably due repainting and renovation after such a long time, you will probably have a vacant period and the next tenants could trash the place!
    I didn't quite believe in karma but then I read the OJ Simpson thread over in After Hours, karma exists and it's gonna bite that landlord :)

You mentioned giving one months notice. Tbh, I wish this happened and the tenants came back and sued. I've read of payouts of 20k plus.
    The level of ignorance among landlords is shocking. If you a landlord, make it your business to know the law, it's not hard to find, all on google.ie.
    Renting a house is a business after all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Your "uncle" should reconsider. Why throw a pregnant women out on the streets:confused: They are probably under enough pressure as it is. Who cares if they have poor english as long as they pay the rent on time. I can't wait for the house prices to drop rock bottom so i can finally buy a house and not pay the overpriced rent which i'm paying atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Duckjob wrote: »
    Otherwise, your uncle's a dispicable knacker and gives decent landlords a bad name.
    Yes, I'm sure both of them will be terribly upset that their name has been blackened.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Yes, I'm sure both of them will be terribly upset that their name has been blackened.

I'll get my coat.

I know that was a joke (sort of ;)) , but there's plenty of good ones to be found.

Guy I rent from is an absolute gent - couldn't say enough nice things about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

a : Your uncle sounds like a twat.
    b : I hope this womans waters break right in the middle of the most expensive carpet in the house.
    c : If you uncle kicks them out I hope karma leaves the house empty for a couple of years.

• Advertisement

they have been there 4 years so he's afraid they might have some rights.

d : Your uncle is a complete and utter w@nker.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Troll?

TBH I think he should turf them out so they can take him to the cleaners.

I read about tenants who were illegally evicted getting €15k+ from a PRTB claim.

http://www.prtb.ie/disputes.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I think your uncles a bit mad, If he loses one months rent that would more than pay for a carpet!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

4 years and little english means one of two things. A) they don't work in a trade with much interaction to english speaking people, or B) they find it convenient to let the landlord think they don't speak much english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Hopefully your uncle will try and illegaly evict his tenants and end up like this guy, €29K down.

http://www.prtb.ie/2006Disputes/TRIBUNAL07/TR104.07_Report.doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

sweet lord, if this is anything but a troll, i'm honestly shocked at how far this country has fallen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Namesco wrote: »
    I think your uncles a bit mad, If he loses one months rent that would more than pay for a carpet!

OP this is the moneyshot here, even the greatest tosser could surely see this logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tommy8969

micmclo wrote: »
    They are entitled to 112 days notice.
    http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240

This is the only useful information I got out of my enquiry. Being called a "despicable knacker" is unwarranted. People have the right to decide who stays in their property. Otherwise they can buy there own accommodation.

We are sending a 112 days notice of eviction by registered mail. Anyway, other reasons that my uncle is not happy with these tenants; tardy payment and displaying of foreign religious symbols in the hallway. I did not want to list them all however.

People have the right to decide who stays in their property.
    Up to a point. If he was happy to take their rent for four years then they should be happy to continue taking their rent.
    displaying of foreign religious symbols in the hallway
    Maybe is it is best that these tenants leave for their sake and not your despicable knacker of an uncle. Good chance this is a troll though.

and displaying of foreign religious symbols in the hallway.
    Bedevere: Well?
    One Villager: Well, we did do the nose.
    Bedevere: The nose?
    Villager: And the Hat. But she's a witch!
    Villagers: Yeah! Burn her! Burn! Burn her!
    B: Did you dress her up like this?
    Villagers: NO! No, no, no, no, no, no...
    One Villager: yes.
    Villagers: yes. yes. yes. A bit. yes. a bit. a bit.
    Another Villager: (hopefully) She has got a wart...
    B: What makes you think she is a witch?
    Villager: Well, She displayed foreign religious symbols in the hallway!!

(pause)

Bedevere: Displayed foreign religious symbols in the hallway?

(long pause)

Villager: I don't really have to look at them...
    Villagers: BURN HER anyway! BURN! BURN! BURN HER!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tommy8969

Up to a point. If he was happy to take their rent for four years then they should be happy to continue taking their rent.

Maybe is it is best that these tenants leave for their sake and not your despicable knacker of an uncle. Good chance this is a troll though.

I don't see why he is now the villain! He is devout in his beliefs and is sensitive to this fact (it is only number one in the ten Commandments).

Anyway, this is off the topic at hand. He would like not to rent to these people any more. But he is not going to break any laws to achieve this.

As a footnote I am relatively new to this website and would expect a small degree of civility in both directions.

He is devout in his beliefs and is sensitive to this fact (it is only number one in the ten Commandments).
    Kicking out a pregnant woman from her home to protect his precious carpets is hardly the Christian thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Is this not discrimination on religious grounds, which is now illegal in Ireland?

And why suddenly after 4 years?

Please God the couple go to PTRB.

And that they find a safe home at this difficult time for them.

Your devout uncle might like to read some words of Jesus Christ.

He teaches His followers that they must love God, and love their neighbour as themselves.

when they ask Him, Jesus, Only Son of the Living God, tells them the parable of the Good Samaritan.

While the pastors/church leaders of the day walk past a wounded man who has been beaten up, the Samaritan, who was from a race despised by the Jews, stops and cares for the man, spends time and money healing and caring for him - for a man of a race which despises him.

Jesus then asks, "Who is this man's neighbour?"

Shame on him indeed, for evicting those who have paid him rent for 4 years.

Laminated floors are easy to put in:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

People have the right to decide who stays in their property. Otherwise they can buy there own accommodation.

The problem here seems to be that the uncle has an attitude that it's actually really his home and he's just letting some people stay there for a bit. In actuality that's not the case, which is why there's protections in place such as landlords being required to give tenants notice before turning up. It also should mean that, for the period of the lease, it's their home and they have the right to display religious items, etc. as long as it's fine within the condition of their lease.

Your uncle needs to see it like a business, not his second house and stop enforcing his own decorating wishes and personal beliefs on these renters. The attitude of "like it or lump it" does indeed give landlords a bad name and pretty rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Sounds like discrimination on three out of the nine grounds from the Equal Status Acts to me, religion, family status and race. I look forward to reading the press reports of the huge settlement in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tardy payment
    As good a reason as any. Mention to your uncle not to mention anything in the letter that will go against him at a later date.

This is a very Irish thing. Family homes mean so much.

We have had problems with this attitude also.

But they have been there for 4 years. And presumably their things have been there all that while.
    ixoy wrote: »
    The problem here seems to be that the uncle has an attitude that it's actually really his home and he's just letting some people stay there for a bit. In actuality that's not the case, which is why there's protections in place such as landlords being required to give tenants notice before turning up. It also should mean that, for the period of the lease, it's their home and they have the right to display religious items, etc. as long as it's fine within the condition of their lease.

Your uncle needs to see it like a business, not his second house and stop enforcing his own decorating wishes and personal beliefs on these renters. The attitude of "like it or lump it" does indeed give landlords a bad name and pretty rightly so.

• Advertisement

Sounds like discrimination on three out of the nine grounds from the Equal Status Acts to me, religion, family status and race. I look forward to reading the press reports of the huge settlement in a few years.
    Almost makes me wish he didn't post here, the young couple could have ended up owning the house after all. Someone like that has no business renting to people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement