Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network help

Options
  • 04-10-2008 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I am having a problem with my wireless connected laptops not being able to see other computers on the network. all wired pc's can access each other and shared folders etc but wireless connection can not access any of the wire pc's. oh but the wireless laptops can access each other. router is llinksys WAG54GS all firmware is updated. oh and the wireless laptops are vista while the wired pc's are all xp. oh and i can access the wireless laptops from the wired pc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

There are hot fixes available for this from microsoft - make sure you run windows update on all the laptops and this will install the Hot fixes to make that work its a known problem - just stay up to date with windows update

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    There are hot fixes available for this from microsoft - make sure you run windows update on all the laptops and this will install the Hot fixes to make that work its a known problem - just stay up to date with windows update

Hi there, i am having the same problem. I have Vista ultimate on my PC, and recently upgraded the parents PC from Windows 98 to XP home. Connected fine with the old system Windows 98 to Vista, but ever since i upgraded i cannot get vista to see the XP PC. The XP PC can see and i have transferred files from the XP PC to the vista, but in vista under network i cannot see the XP PC. All my windows are up to date. i am trying to do this through through my wireless network. if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks

Kevin

kryan1 wrote: »
    Hi there, i am having the same problem. I have Vista ultimate on my PC, and recently upgraded the parents PC from Windows 98 to XP home. Connected fine with the old system Windows 98 to Vista, but ever since i upgraded i cannot get vista to see the XP PC. The XP PC can see and i have transferred files from the XP PC to the vista, but in vista under network i cannot see the XP PC. All my windows are up to date. i am trying to do this through through my wireless network. if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks

Kevin

Any one have any suggestions/solutions to the above prob?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have you set the same Workgroup name on all your machines?

MC

Have you set the same Workgroup name on all your machines?

MC

Yep. all the same. this fair annoying. i am able to connect the XP pc to the vista, and transfer files but the when i look in the network folder i cannot see the XP PC. Now i am a;so after discovering that if i boot up the vista PC first, and log in and then i bootup the XP pc i can see the XP PC in my network folder in the vista PC. But when i try to connect, it fails? the error code is 0x80070035 the network path is not found. this is fair annoying.

thanks

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

try...

1) Firewalls... disable all firewalls on Vista and XP, including windows firewall. That worked once when i tried to connect vista to XP... then stopped *shrugs*
    2) you could ping the ip address of the xp from vista to see if there are connection problems

notsamhail wrote: »
    try...

1) Firewalls... disable all firewalls on Vista and XP, including windows firewall. That worked once when i tried to connect vista to XP... then stopped *shrugs*
    2) you could ping the ip address of the xp from vista to see if there are connection problems

From my Vista PC i tried pinging the XP Pc and it has come back that the request has timed out. then i did the exact same form the XP PC and pinged the Vista PC and it worked grand.

As for the firewall, in vista when i disable it, i loose my wirless connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Im interested in what Voodoo2 said.
    must try that here. I think i tried to network Vista-->XP myself last week and it was a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Check out Tech net as well

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

If your up to date on hotfixes you might be just missing one small step

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Wcool

On the Vista box, you need to enable NetBios over TCP/IP in Advanced TCP/IP settings

That did it for me

• Advertisement

kryan1 wrote: »
    From my Vista PC i tried pinging the XP Pc and it has come back that the request has timed out. then i did the exact same form the XP PC and pinged the Vista PC and it worked grand.

As for the firewall, in vista when i disable it, i loose my wirless connection.

Ok still having a connecting problem but maybe someone could tell me whats happening. If i turn on the xp computer. then turn on the vista PC. i have a password on the vista PC and i leave that at the login screen. Then i access the folders on the Vista PC through the XP PC but i have to login with the vista user name and password.

now i log into the vista PC i can then access the XP PC and all the files? i have looked to see if there is an automatic login in the XP PC but can't find it. is there anyone who know whats happens and how i can get access to the XP PC from the vista PC with out having to do this all d time?

Many thanks

Kevin

Advertisement