Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swallows still about?

• 04-10-2008 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Given the suggestion that Swalllows may be over wintering in SW Cork/Kerry I wonder if anybody has noticed them in their areas recently. Today quite a number still about Enniscorthy, Co.Wexford.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

They were still in Donegal a few days ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

We still have dozens here. They all nested in our 40ft earlier on in the year & don't seem to be going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They're gone from the North East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Saw a couple on Saturday. I believe they have even been spotted in early November in the recent past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Seen some swallows flying around today at newtown in wicklow thought it strange maybe just young that were born to late and not enough strength yet for the journey to africa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Spotted a few today: both North Kildare & Newtown Mt Kennedy (North Wicklow).

Saw four on Saturday around Kilmainham/Inchciore. I really don't remember seeing them so late or maybe i just hadn't noticed before..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Our swallows all seem to have gone over the weekend.
    Silly I know, but I miss them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Surprised at these reports. No sign here in Connacht. I dunno how they could successfully overwinter with such little daylight and a dearth of insects. Does this happen? If so, how?

topper75 wrote: »
    Surprised at these reports. No sign here in Connacht. I dunno how they could successfully overwinter with such little daylight and a dearth of insects. Does this happen? If so, how?

I don't think anybody has claimed they are overwintering. They often remain into October in some parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Given the suggestion that Swalllows may be over wintering in SW Cork/Kerry
    I don't think anybody has claimed they are overwintering.

OP referred to 'suggestion' - that is what I was doubting.

My apologies. :o

An occassional Swallow has been known, in the past, to overwinter but it's far from the norm.
    Odd birds of various species have overwintered here from time to time but I think we're a long way from Swallows overwintering as a matter of course.
    It is surprising that any insect eaters overwinter here at all and I always have great admiration for the Pied Wagtail, as everything about it's lifestyle suggests it should be a Summer visitor only.

I think as our winters are getting milder we might see more and more birds overwinter here. I know that Chiffchaff and Blackcaps are seen a lot more overwinter in Ireland. Although i doubt this will happen for swallows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RuthyB

There's still a few down in the lower harbour in Cork. Saw a pair this morning.
    and there's still a load of swifts in the city . They are always swooping past the windows in work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks all who replied to my original post. Keep those reports coming. If Swallows are really overwintering in the South West it could be time to start building an Ark. :):)

RuthyB wrote: »
    There's still a few down in the lower harbour in Cork. Saw a pair this morning.
    and there's still a load of swifts in the city . They are always swooping past the windows in work
    I'm amazed that there are still Swifts there! They are one of the earliest to migrate south usually leaving in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RuthyB

I'm amazed that there are still Swifts there! They are one of the earliest to migrate south usually leaving in August.

Really? I didn't know that. I was only watching one of them yesterday while I was out for my smoke. The office is right on the south channel of the lee and I often see them swooping over the river.:)

I'd be surprised to see swifts at this time myself. The last one i recorded was the 29th of August. I wonder if they are martins? Also swifts generally don't fly low along water as far as i know they are usually up higher in the skies.

No offence but I'm starting to doubt they are Swifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 keithhammond

Haven't seen any swallows in the Galway area for about 2 weeks or so. I'm always glad to see them go before the really bad weather sets in, at least they have a better chance of making the long journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I'm sorry but I had created a new thread on this very topic well before I had seen this one. Here is the jist of what I said:

Hi there,

My family & I were just coming in across the fields from a walk on the beach when I saw swallows flying about. They were doing their arial acrobatics and then landing on fencing.

Today is a beautiful blue sky day here on the coast in West Waterford. Current outdoor temp is 11.1 celcius with a north easterly wind of 14.5 mph and 1004.6 hPA pressure. So it is similar to an average Irish Summers day here.

I have never seen swallows at this time of year before. Am I wrong or should these guys not be on vacation in Northern Africa at this point?

D

Advertisement