Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A 250cc Tourer???

• 04-10-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

I'm currently riding a Honda Innova 125 crossover/underbone bike (half scoot, half 'real' bike) and I love the thing. I've made only one proper trip on it and that was only 40 miles return and even on it I had to ensure that I was going along regional roads rather than a new national road or motorway. I can crank 60mph out of it but with it being such a light bike with relatively narrow tyres, it tends to feel unstable at those speeds and especially so if there is a wind of any kind. At 50mph it feels a hell of a lot more clued to the ground.
    The other thing about it is that the gear system is unlike that of a proper bike. It is a semi-automatic system on which I don't control the clutch but just the gear selection with a pedal for my left foot - pressing forward puts it up a gear (only to be done when the throttle is closed) and pressing backward brings it down the gears with neutral being the last selection after pressing backward from 1st (again keeping the throttle closed).

What I would love to do is get my full bike license (probably have to use a learning centres bike for that over the gear system on my own) and eventually upgrade to a bigger bike which will be as good as the Innova around town but also able to do the odd bit of touring from county to county.

I've promied myself I'll ride the Innova from Cork to Kerry soon but I'd love to have a 250 tourer to do it on!

Is there any out there? It's a pipe dream for now but it would be mad if there were...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Fabio wrote: »
    I'm currently riding a Honda Innova 125 crossover/underbone bike (half scoot, half 'real' bike) and I love the thing. I've made only one proper trip on it and that was only 40 miles return and even on it I had to ensure that I was going along regional roads rather than a new national road or motorway. I can crank 60mph out of it but with it being such a light bike with relatively narrow tyres, it tends to feel unstable at those speeds and especially so if there is a wind of any kind. At 50mph it feels a hell of a lot more clued to the ground.
    The other thing about it is that the gear system is unlike that of a proper bike. It is a semi-automatic system on which I don't control the clutch but just the gear selection with a pedal for my left foot - pressing forward puts it up a gear (only to be done when the throttle is closed) and pressing backward brings it down the gears with neutral being the last selection after pressing backward from 1st (again keeping the throttle closed).

What I would love to do is get my full bike license (probably have to use a learning centres bike for that over the gear system on my own) and eventually upgrade to a bigger bike which will be as good as the Innova around town but also able to do the odd bit of touring from county to county.

I've promied myself I'll ride the Innova from Cork to Kerry soon but I'd love to have a 250 tourer to do it on!

Is there any out there? It's a pipe dream for now but it would be mad if there were...

I've never heard of a 250cc tourer - and with good reason - tourers are designed to handle 2up + luggage + motorway speeds + high mileage.

250cc isn't enough power to do this. Tourer's are not fast machines compared to the equivalent full on sports bike with the same cc so they usually have a good chunk of power but not a massive amount of speed.

The older Honda Deauville is available in a 600 version (I think it can be restricted to be learner legal too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

There are a few step through type bikes with larger engines such as the Honda SH300i which might suit your needs. The Honda CBF250 is a standard type bike layout that might be worth considering. I think both can be used on a restricted licence as they are less than 33 BHP. These would not be regarded as tourers but would be much more capable of county to county spins than the 125.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Yeah I like the look of the CBF250 and older CB.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Colm C....I see what you mean, more torque, more weight and a less stressed engine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think you're doing yourself a disservice, there...........the Innova, slow and all as it is, will get you comfortably to/from Kerry...........many times over.

As for the comment above that true tourers are designed for two-up, motorways etc, that is true. However, it seems OP just wants to go to Kerry. So that's motorways out, then........:D ! If not 2-up, your Innova will see you there, and - and this is the best bit - when you are at your destination - the ++ of a smaller bike is that it's more useful at your destination.

Now, nothing wrong with the CBF, but do bear in mind, bikes aren't made of chocolate. I have a (surprisingly good), but unnoticed tourer: an Aprilia Atlantic 500 super scooter. Does all the CBF would - and more ! And you don't need a full licence for it,either !!

A lot of superscooters all come in 250/400's too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

That Aprilia looks dead cool, nice bike man!

I love my Innova cos I know it'll work forever and it can handly 60mph though not with great stability and I wouldn't dare go at 60 for too long at a time as the engine really isn't made for that.

Anyway thanks for the comments so far...as good as those super-scooters look, I'd still reckon that one day I'd prefer to get a motorbike with the manual gears and the works...

• Advertisement

I love my Innova cos I know it'll work forever and it can handly 60mph though not with great stability and I wouldn't dare go at 60 for too long at a time as the engine really isn't made for that.

Anyway thanks for the comments so far...as good as those super-scooters look, I'd still reckon that one day I'd prefer to get a motorbike with the manual gears and the works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

any of the small parallel twins should be able to do this without too much stress. Get somer throw over panniers and a screen for it. It won't be fast but will be comfortable up until 100kmph. Even the new ninja 250 should do the job. Don't worry about the size of the bike as many people do the kerry thing on 125cc bikes.

Looking forward to getting down or up (whichever!) from Cork to Tralee on the Innova! I'm going to plan the route so I'm using regional roads rather than the busier national roads.

Any tips for when I do everntually get around to do this? (college and work tends to get in the way a little!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fabio wrote: »

tks, but don't forget, bikes are many years behind cars when it comes to transmission technology, and the technology in cars is leaning more and more to 'automatics', because they are, now, better. Porsche, for example, now estimate that 60% of sales are 'automatics', and it will go higher. This is because they've now made auto's that not only compete, but better, manual transmission performance. Both in terms of performance and economy.

Look at WRC, F1 - even MotoGP - there's no-one relying on manual changes etc anymore. In the bikeworld speed-shifters are simply on way of 'automating' performance gearchanges.........

As for the AA - yep, it's much better than I thought, tbh, and I hope to move on to either a Burgman 650, but I'd love to try a Mana, to see what that's like - and both of those are 'tiptronic', aka manual and auto changes possible.

I actually think an auto would also suit - very well - the likes of my Road King.

Fwiw, the AA500 will crack about 140kph........with a passenger......;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement