Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday dinner for my mum

• 04-10-2008 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Um, I was thinking of making my mum a dinner for her bday, her friend and my dad will be there too. Problem is, I'm not much of a chef.

Anyone got an idea for something simple (hopefully not any big pieces of meat to prepare) but impressive? She's a fantastic cook herself so it would really be the thought that counts on my part. She loves a little bit of spice/chilli although not too much, doesn't much like chicken breast because of dryness.

If someone has some suggestion I'll try and get into the English Market to buy some ingredients by 5.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Porksteak in pastry - relatively simple - looks good.

Buy two nice porksteaks, trim the fat and fry them in a nonstick pan (or I use a George Foreman grill - either works). Make sure they're cooked through (no pink in the middle) but not totally dried out. Make a mushroom stuffing (saute mushrooms and onions in butter - mix into breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme).

Get the Jusroll frozen puff pastry rolls. Rollout, put some stuffing down on it, put one cooked porksteak on top, add some stuffing around the top and sides, then wrap the pastry around it. Do the same with the other porksteak. Beat some egg, and brush over the pastry,then cook in the oven at 180 until the pastry is nicely browned.

For a starter you could make some nice vegetable soup ( variety of veg, chicken stock cube, water and a drop of milk - blend it all when cooked). Put a dollop of whipped cream on top when serving to make it "special". Buy a nice cheesecake or something for dessert.

Advertisement