Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honours english?

Options
  • 04-10-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

i doing honours english and im kind of struggling with the essays i can do comparative etc, its they essay and descriptive writing parts that killme (part b)
    my problem is i have a "maths brain" like i can do science and maths even the memory piece of english but the creative i lack

so anyone like me got any advice ?i've found that planning helps but any other help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Read read read! The more books you can read the more language and ideas that you can take in the better your story's and such will get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Well you can prepare a good short story and hope that you will be able to adjust it to suit the title in the exam. If you can't, unfortunately you may have to make one up from scratch. Articles, opinion pieces and speeches can't really be prepared, as they could be on any topic. All you can do is be familar with the correct layout/structure.

When you go into the exam, I think the first thing you should do is look at the composition titles. That way, they'll be in your mind and you can be deciding which one you'll do while answering other parts of the paper.
    Then I think you should answer the part B of the comprehensions. Remember that not all B parts may suit you, and if you answer A first you won't be able to answer B on the same text. So pick your part B first and answer it.

When you've your part B done, then you can either answer part A or do your composition. Personally, I think it's better to do your composition first - it's good to get it out of the way. Generally, the A parts of the texts are quite doable, and it's nice to finish your exam on something simple.

If you're really struggling with creativity and descriptive writing, perhaps writing an article would be the best option for you. Here you don't need to be too descriptive: you would be mainly using 'language of information' , as opposed to the descriptive 'aesthetic use of language' normally found in a story.
    If you do want to write a story rather than an article, maybe do the picture based question. A picture can often be less restrictive than a given title.

Be careful with your timing, do NOT spend too long on any question. Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

you can view these essays as formulatic to suit your preparation; for example with a short story you can structure your writing one around the structure of a short story that is needed - you need an introduction, complication, climax and resolution in any short story you write. Even the part B's have a similar formulatic approach and structure; look for these and plan them out before you begin writing these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Stev_o wrote: »
    Read read read! The more books you can read the more language and ideas that you can take in the better your story's and such will get!

This

Reading is essential for good vocabulary in the eassy work section, and across the paper to be honest

Reviews and Speeches ec are a lot more structured and generally tend to require less creativity than the essay(in terms of idea and vocab) so perhaps you shouls concentrate on one of those

Advertisement