Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

only getting half the juice clearwire advertised

Options
  • 04-10-2008 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I have full signal on my clearwire modem but i'm getting only half the already paltry 1mb download speed that my package offers.

I can't even watch videos without buffering constantly...

Is the service being sapped by so many people in this area, or something? I didn't think it worked like that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

AFAIK they list the speed as "up to 1mb" there is definetly a contention ration too,You'll get best speeds during the day from early morning till 6pm ish and then after 11 pm it should pick up,on weekends it will always be quiet slow

Also,do a speedtest and post up your results at different times,others will be able to compare their speeds with yours,best off doing it though http://www.speedtest.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Yeah I had the feeling it was just getting worse as the day wore on. Are there any ISPs that guarantee a minimum speed?

I used that speedtest before making this thread.

<Jonny> wrote: »
    Yeah I had the feeling it was just getting worse as the day wore on. Are there any ISPs that guarantee a minimum speed?

I used that speedtest before making this thread.
    Thats a good question,But i don't think there is.Not in Ireland anyway,it would be far to much work to keep a guaranteed speed i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

dsl is a guaranteed speed i think. (if your line can give the speed)

sorry if i am wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Thats a good question,But i don't think there is.Not in Ireland anyway,it would be far to much work to keep a guaranteed speed i think.

eircom's DSL product, and all the re-sellers too, have a minimum speed of 256kbps.
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    dsl is a guaranteed speed i think. (if your line can give the speed)

sorry if i am wrong

DSL is not guaranteed speed, it depends on the supplier and the contention. Most DSL is somewhere between 20:1 and 48:1. Smart offer an uncontended service, which means you should get the speed advertised.

Clearwire's speeds have always been pity full.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can only get a Minmum speed on a "buisness SLA" (Service Level Agreement). You'd pay a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

no service has a guaranteed minimum unless its on a 1:1 contention ratio and generally that means a buisness or commercial class service. As for clearwire, people should know better by know about those muppets. if you are still within 30 days of signing up with them my advise is get rid of them right away, they are probably the most useless "ISP" the world has ever known.

Advertisement