Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catastrophic Convertor

Options
  • 04-10-2008 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I have a 1998 R-plate e39 520 (2.0) petrol, and the catalytic convertor has just eaten itself!

The exhaust system is a single piece from front to back, which means that I have to replace it.

Bosal (Bose?) do an aftermarket front section which includes the cat, which involves cutting the existing pipes and putting the new section overlapping the old rear pipe. Costs about €335 + VAT + fitting.

I haven't gotten a price from BMW yet.

I need to find out is the old exhaust stainless steel or mild steel (the difference between making it a straight through until the next NCT (MOT), giving me an opportunity to source a second hand exhaust (although this is a risk as the cat in that could also be gone).

Anyone know if I have any other options? Or where I might source a second hand exhaust? Also, will an exhaust from any petrol e39 saloon fit (523, 525, 528, M-tech derivatives)? Or an esate one?

Traynors only seem to have one e39 520 at the moment: http://80.76.198.40/yard/photos.aspx?carid=19963.

I'm based in Galway.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Try gsfcarparts.com - I got one for mine (e36 318is) for about €240, BMW wanted close to €800.
    If you have a bosal part fitted, the fitting should be free if you order off a main dealer. The price you were quoted isn't bad, though - take into consideration labour for fitting if you buy from gsf.

Personally, I'd stick with bosal - a garage might not be so enthusiastic to fit a part they did not source, unless you knew the staff well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Thanks for that.

It was my mechanic who got the Bosal price, but if I can source a part, he'll fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You're laughing then!

Make sure you get new nuts/bolts and gaskets when you're ordering.

Advertisement