Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God is not dead

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Zillah wrote: »
    Its a completely baseless hypothetical thing. I believe the timeless super particle idea was first used by Wicknight many moons ago.

You say "completely baseless and hypothetical", I'll have you know I've been worshipping it and praying to it ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Its a completely baseless hypothetical thing. I believe the timeless super particle idea was first used by Wicknight many moons ago.

Ah I invented everything cool :pac:

The point really is just to contrast Soul Winners assertions on the topic, that if something created the universe then that something has to be God (specifically the Christian version).

which is a bit like saying if something broke my window it has to have been a North African Swallow.

God (the Christian one or otherwise) could have created the universe. But then so could a lot of things. There is no reason to say that is the only explanation, or even a plausible explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

First of all, your assertion is not based on what Science is telling you, its based on what you have read in two websites, not the same thing. Secondly everything didn't come from nothing, it came from something that is not believed to exist under the universal constrains that we do (time, gravity etc). This is known as a singularity. The wikipedia link explains that prior to the big bang there was a "primordial hot and dense initial condition", and while the part of AllaboutScience.com you quoted uses the word "nothing" the very next paragraph ends with:
    "Our universe is thought to have begun as an infinitesimally small, infinitely hot, infinitely dense, something - a singularity. Where did it come from? We don't know. Why did it appear? We don't know."
    You should read the "Big Bang Theory - Common Misconceptions" section too,

How can there be misconceptions about that which no one really understands? Anyway I’ve read them and here’s what they say:

“Another misconception is that we tend to image the singularity as a little fireball appearing somewhere in space. According to the many experts however, space didn't exist prior to the Big Bang. Back in the late '60s and early '70s, when men first walked upon the moon, "three British astrophysicists, Steven Hawking, George Ellis, and Roger Penrose turned their attention to the Theory of Relativity and its implications regarding our notions of time. In 1968 and 1970, they published papers in which they extended Einstein's Theory of General Relativity to include measurements of time and space.1, 2 According to their calculations, time and space had a finite beginning that corresponded to the origin of matter and energy."3 The singularity didn't appear in space; rather, space began inside of the singularity. Prior to the singularity, nothing existed, not space, time, matter, or energy - nothing. So where and in what did the singularity appear if not in space? We don't know. We don't know where it came from, why it's here, or even where it is. All we really know is that we are inside of it and at one time it didn't exist and neither did we.”

The singularity you are talking about is something; the singularity from which space, matter and time came from was nothing. An infinitely dense, mass-less of absolutely nothing. But let us assume that before space time which Wick says we can’t assume (in the same way that north of north can’t be assumed), you are correct and there was something before space, time matter etc… If your singularity was something even if infinitesimally micro in size, then how can all of the what we now call the universe have come from such a tiny entity if there was no cause or causer? But was already pointed out this is not the case. Don’t blame me, I didn’t come up with this concept. Blame Hawking and Penrose.

Then it would just produce a different kind of life, or none at all. You are assuming that life is something that has to exist.

I’m not suggesting that life HAD to exist, I’m saying that life just happens to exist. Surely we are entitled to at least ask why? Even if we live forever on this rock and never get a satisfactory answer we are still entitle to ask why we are here, and if there is ultimately no meaning to anything then assuming we are alone doesn’t have to make sense, because nothing makes sense if the universe is causeless and meaningless. The error of religion is one among many errors all equally meaningless.

Again, if the universal contains where different, then a different kind of life, or no kind of life at all, would exist. You cannot examine this scientifically if you go in with the assumption that life is something the universe must have. Its a fair indication that life isn't something that has to exist in a universe, given that we have no evidence of it outside of earth.

I agree with you. I never said life had to exist though.

As above, not nothing, just something that the laws and constrains of our universe apply to.

As above yes NOTHING blame Penrose and Hawking.

Yes but what was there before the big bang (the singularity) existed in a state where it didn't have a beginning, therefore anything it did didn't have a beginning therefore it didn't have a cause.

Don’t take my word for it. “The singularity didn't appear in space; rather, space began inside of the singularity. Prior to the singularity, nothing existed, not space, time, matter, or energy - nothing. So where and in what did the singularity appear if not in space? We don't know. We don't know where it came from, why it's here, or even where it is. All we really know is that we are inside of it and at one time IT DIDN’T EXIST and neither did we.”

Science is not trying to discuss something in terms that don't apply to it. If you use inaplicable terminology (or misinterpret the current terminology) you will just ask the wrong questions.

I’m not asking the wrong questions. What’s wrong with asking what caused the big bang? Even scientist ask that question. Some have even proposed that our big bang was the result of a big bounce from the collapse of another universe which is as non verifiable as what science says the concept of God is. How can you test for something that lies outside the immediate measurable universe? And how could that universe have condensed into a nothingness state?

The big bang is an event that happened to the singularity. As the singularity existed outside time (eternal as you say) then it doesn't have a beginning, likewise anything that it undergoes has no beginning and therefore no cause.

The singularity did have a beginning. According to Hawking and Penrose there was a point where it didn’t exist then from nothing it existed and within billionths of a second everything came into being and began to expand and is still expanding. So if Hawking and Penrose are correct then this singularity had a beginning and therefore is not eternal.

Plausibility is subjective, possiblility is not. You may think that all things possible are plausible but thats not a very scientific (or frankly efficient) way to think about something.

Everything is possible once you don’t enclose yourself within the bubble that everything is not possible. Modern day technological achievements only two centuries ago would have been thought impossible and yet here we are building LHCs.

Matter is made up of particals, not vice-versa.

On their own what are they? Practically nothing. Powerless, meaningless, purposeless and yet somehow they arrange themselves into atoms which arrange themselves into molecules which seem to have a mind of their own and arrange themselves into structured and coded DNA strands which just happened to be the buildings blocks of all biological complex life forms. Then we have dark matter and dark energy the dominant forces in the universe which are not even made up of what we call subatomic particles. Invisible to the eye and yet billions pass through us every day without colliding with anything else in our molecular or subatomic make up. What’s driving it all? You believe it is a mindless, purposeless, process of nature and I believe that it’s God. If that’s where the burden of proof stops then that’s is where is I stand on the issue. For anyone to be called stupid for believing God did it then it would have to be proven that God didn’t do it.

No you don't, you have the singularity, something that is scientifically undefined as it is something that doesn't come under the same universal constrains as everything in the universe. This only points to God if you are already facing that direction when you start, which isn't scientific.

Well no it doesn’t point to God. The study of the cosmos is where science and religion meet. Religion has its explanation about the universe and science has it’s explanation. Religion says that God did it and science doesn’t know scientifically how it happened. And if science is the study of that which can be observed then how can it observe nothing if that is where the universe came from? When you start out in science with the belief that God cannot and does not exist and there is no way you are going to allow Him into the equation no matter what, then that also is not very scientific. If one can conclude that the universe came from nothing then that is a miracle.

A large part of your problem with this is that you seem to apply a macro-scale idea of causality to the beginning of the universe (ie a sentient decision). Just as the randomness inherent in particles only exists in the micro-scale, and not the macro-scale, macro-scale causality only applies to the macro-scale.

Not if the big bang model is accurate. All matter no matter how big something might be now on the macro level, came into being at the same point in time as everything else and that was from nothing at all. How? Either God it or something else did? What else could have done it? If it was casueless then how can the universe begin to exist if it has no cause? To have no cause means it still doesn’t exist. But it does exist!!! Like I said before, the alternatives to the “God did it” argument are harder to believe if we are to take the big bang model as being the right one. And still today the big bang model is the most tested and accepted model even by atheists. So my argument is that it must have been an eternal super intellect not bound by the laws and constraints that our universe and us are bound to that must have created it.

What happen to start the big bang was a cause, but a mcro-scale cause, which is more like a spontaneous chemical reaction, but one in which absolutely none of the normal constrains apply because it occured outside the universe. To examine it in terms of macro-scale causality would be as crazy as to examine macro-scale behaviour in terms of the micro-scale randomness of particles.

But macro scale reality has at its subatomic micro level what appears to be random unobservable behavior by the particles that make up the very atoms from which the macro entity is made. So the reality of the macro entity - say a star - is caused by this seeming randomness at the subatomic level because once you take that randomness out of the reality - which is the macro entity - then you cease to have the entity. But that is all besides the point about the big bang singularity. From that nothingness state came everything. But how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Wicknight wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

No one is doubting the event of the Big Bang. What we are saying is that your assertion that something before the Big Bang must have caused it to happen is unfounded.

Time itself appears to have originated at the Big Bang. "Before" the Big Bang is therefore largely a meaningless concept, like "north of north"

I disagree. Like I pointed out to Mark there are even scientists who are asking about what was there before the big bang so why can’t I? If time, space and matter all start to begin to exist at the moment of the big bang then at some point there was nothing at all, unless you want to postulate that there was in fact something, but that would go against what is practically universally accepted in the scientific world today, that at some point there was nothing.
    As is the concept of causality, something happening before something else that leads to that something else, applied to the Big Bang itself. How can you have "before" time (outside of Disney). If time itself originated at the Big Bang then there is no before the Big Bang.

That is my point. How can there be something before everything begins to exist? You can’t, so that means there was in fact nothing and from that nothingness everything began to exist. If everything began to exists in the finite past and before that there was nothing then how can everything have come from nothing?

"God" does not answer that question. You are left with the question how can God make something from nothing, to which you have no answer beyond saying he is all powerful and can do anything he wants, which isn't actually an explanation it is just an excuse to stop asking the questions.

Here how the New Testament puts it:

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” John 1:1-5

“In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.” Hebrews 1:1-2

The New Testament calls Jesus the speaking agent through whom God created the universe. The Word of God if you like. Of the same essence as “The God” but separate and distinct from The God who spoke and nothing became everything. That is how the New Testament describes it and to people back then that is all they needed to know but even today that is remarkably consistent with big bang cosmology. From nothing. Until science can show us that this is not how it happened then we are on safe ground with this view. Not so with the likes of Hinduism which believes that the universe itself is eternal which as the big bang model proves is false.
    But again there is no evidence that the Big Bang "came from nothing". We have no idea what the Big Bang came from or even if such a concept of coming from something can be applied to the Big Bang.

Therein lies the mystery.
    Well aside from the fact that that statement is wrong (there are 4 known fundamental forces in the universe that your 26 constants are derived from, and the universe would look approx the same if you changed 1 of them significantly)

Which one could you change “significantly” and still have a similar universe?
    your assertion assumes that "life as we know it" was some sort of goal rather than simply a product of this universe.

It was (or is one of them) if God did it. If God didn’t do it then yeah, sure it is just a product of the universe and not a goal.
    There is no evidence for that, and as pointed out the universe does not appear to be at all well tuned for "life as we know it".

No Wick it is fine tuned to permit life, what remains to be answered is how or who fine tuned it?
    You are also ignoring life as we don't know it, any form of life that could have emerged if the forces were different.

Life as we don’t know it????? How will we ever find that? Think about it. How do we know that rocks aren’t life that we don’t know it? We don’t. Nor can we know it. As soon as we know it then it is just life as we know it again. To get hung up on life as we don’t know it would mean that we will be forever be hung up and therefore makes scientific endeavor futile, because as soon as we find life as we don’t know it, it becomes life as we know it too but even then there will still be life as we don’t know it. Science deals with what we do and can know not what we don’t and can’t know. You can’ hide in this little unverifiable niche when it suits you Wick.

But even if this particular universe was quite unlikely (it was by the way, but not for the reasons you are putting forward),that still doesn't imply that it was created for a purpose. This is known as the Antropic Principle

The only way that it wasn’t created for a purpose is if nobody or nothing purposed it. If nobody or nothing purposed it then yeah sure of course it has no purpose, granted. Now you tell me that the universe was quite unlikely but not for the reason I put forward. But how can you be so sure? I know you don’t believe it but that is not the same as knowing it to be so, and if you don’t know then how you can say that the reasons I put forward are wrong? Just say you don’t believe them to be right instead of arbitrarily branding them so as if it were a scientific fact.
    Any universe like ours will produce life like us. It is not really surprising then that we find ourselves in a universe like we do.

You don’t know that either.

Quite the opposite in fact. The idea that the entire universe was created so that we could evolve on a tiny planet in a totally average corner of a totally average galaxy in a totally average galaxy cluster is rather ridiculous.

How do you know that what you call average is not the optimal location in the universe? It has something going for it at least. We live here don’t we? What we do know is that this average cluster, galaxy, planet are just right for what we call life and you cannot get away from that. Until we find a way for the universe to produce life in whatever form we can discern then we have a right to call our average patch of sky prime real estate.
    It would be like a grain of sand one day thinking that the entire solar system, and the billions of years before it existed, was created to sustain its own existence.

Assuming that things like that could occur to a grain of sand then I don’t see why that grain of sand should think otherwise, why should it? If you contend that the universe has no cause and no purpose then why can’t the grain of sand have this opinion of itself? Are you going to tell it the real reason for the universe in which t finds itself in order that you may sway it from its deluded state? But wouldn’t that presuppose on your part that you think the universe has got a bigger reason other than what the grain of sand thinks? Gotcha!!! :D

And what has size got to do with it anyway. If you buy a very expensive engagement ring for your girlfriend and you bring it home to your house, does the size of your house diminish the value of the ring or does the ring hold the same inside the house as it did outside the house? The size of the universe shouldn’t have any baring on the value we place in ourselves even if we are deluded. What else are we to do in a meaningless and purposeless universe?

Well no, that is the point.

Particles can be "created" or influenced in the future, throwing the notion of locality and causality on its head.

Explain please.

That isn't really true. Sub atomic particles can spring out of apparently nothing (known as zero point energy) and this has been observed.

Where has this been observed?
    Well no. Science works by modeling what is behind the door.

Yes of course, until it can open it. Then it proceeds to the next closed door behind which they will also start out modeling what’s there until that door is open and so on.

You did, you said that the Big Bang theory says that the universe sprung from "nothing" and that this was triggered by some cause.

Yes I said that the big bang theory postulates a beginning but I never said that the big bang theory postulates a cause. I said that myself.
    No, you are missing the point. It isn't that you are asking questions. It is that there is a flaw in your question.

There’ only a flaw in my questions if you don’t like or know the answers.
    What is north of the north pole?

Polaris. The North star.
    Such questions are meaningless.

“What is meaning”? Could also be construed as a meaningless question to someone who contends that the universe itself is meaningless and therefore everything in it including us and all our questions.
    It isn't that we don't know the answer, it is that the question doesn't make sense.

There is no such thing as stupid questions just stupid answers.
    It isn't that we are left wondering what lies north of north pole without ever knowing the answer, it is that the concept of north of north is meaningless. There isn't an answer to that question beyond saying that the question doesn't make sense.

And that you simply do not know what is north of north.
    Asking what is north of north is meaningless.

But not what caused the big bang.
    Asking what happened before time is equally meaningless. Without time itself there is no before, there is no after. Asking what caused time to exist is equally meaningless because cause implies an action in the past triggering an action in the present. But there is no past without time. There is no present.

You are spinning yourself into a dizzy Wick. Time began to exists at some finite time in the past. There is probably no “before” that as we would measure it with time because there was no time but there could have been an “always was and is and will be” at that point and still is and ever will be even after the universe is no more.

What is NORTH OF NORTH!

More NORTH!

If causality might not even apply inside our own universe there is little reason to assert that it must apply to the universe itself.

Just because there is no observable cause does not mean that there is no actual cause. Imagine a grain of sand thinking that it was uncaused?

How can something cause time to exist. For a cause you need time to already exist. Causality is something that happens on an already existing time line. Something at point A on the time line caused something at point B on the time line.

So you admit that time began to exist and that everything in time that begins to exist has a cause but because there was no time before time then that means that real time doesn’t need a cause? How does that follow logically? I would say that it doesn’t need a cause in time but outside of time. If there is an outside of time dimension then isn’t it conceivable that time as we know it could have been caused from that? If not, why not? I know, because it presupposes a creator of time from nothing and we can’t have that now can we?

Certainly. But you are making assertions about how it must be, the universe must have had a cause (a cause to which you assign your own particular deity).

I could be wrong about the deity but not about it having a cause. Again how can everything thing in this universe, matter energy space and time have come from absolutely nothing at all? Like I said I might be wrong about who but I think it is more logical to assign something as the cause instead of nothing.

No. Matter is made up of particles. Specifically particles that are interacting with the Higgs field in a certain fashion (theoretical at the moment this is what the Large Hedron Collider is attempting to demonstrate)

I know, can’t wait for the results.
    All matter is made up of particles but not all particles make up matter. And scientists are discovering that matter appears to be simply a state that some particles can find themselves in. In reality (again theoretical but all signs point in this direction) energy is what everything is made up of.

Great.
    So no, the "super particle" would not be matter.

What then?

Indeed. And "reaffirming" every other religion that believed the universe had a beginning, which is most of them.

And they were right all along weren’t they?
    Again that isn't true. Particles appear out of "nothing" in our own universe. Of course that brings one on to how we define "nothing", which is a very interesting question a bit like how we define "space". But again the point is that the universe does not behave the way our intuition would like it to. For all intensive purposes something can come from nothing.

I agree, we even have proof, the universe came from nothing.
    Besides, how does God make something out of nothing?

According to the Bible He just speaks and nothing becomes everything. Which is why we are exhorted daily to act in faith on what He SAYS not on what He does. If what we see is just temporal and what He says is eternal then it is better to act on what He says rather than on the things we see because they will perish eventually.
    You don't have an answer for that, you just say he can because he is God. He uses magic. Which is pointless. You are simply defining yourself out of a problem.

Magic? Never said anything about magic. I’ll tell you what’s magic shall I? Everything coming into existence from nothing and not caused by anything. That my friend is magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm getting a real JC vibes here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No Wick it is fine tuned to permit life, what remains to be answered is how or who fine tuned it?
    Man, you're really not getting this fine-tuned idea!

Our planet is fine-tuned for life in the same way a pothole is fine-tuned to match the shape of the puddle that sits in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dades wrote: »
    Our planet is fine-tuned for life in the same way a pothole is fine-tuned to match the shape of the puddle that sits in it.

I tried this earlier. He demanded to know who made gravity and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

In fairness SW you're pointing out the mistakes in something I don't think anybody here is really expert on enough to defend it (does anybody really know the origins of the universe?) so that you can slot "god did it" in the gaps. All I've gotten so far between you an Wick is "the universe has to have a cause therefore god did it".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

He demanded to know who made gravity and water.
    Whoa. That's a tough one.

Though I heard the pothole was made by Ganesha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

o Wick it is fine tuned to permit life, what remains to be answered is how or who fine tuned it?

Life is fine-tuned for this universe, not the other way round.

The puddle fills the hole it is in. The camel stores water because it lives in an arid climate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

WHAT is so difficult to grasp about CHANCE? Is it easier if you imagine billions and billions, in fact: an infinite number of universes, all having their own constants? Because that would make it quite likely that at least one of these universes has the constants that ours has! So what exactly don't you understand about this universe simply by chance having the constants life needs?

Even if there is only one universe, namely ours - are you seriously suggesting that because something is not very likely, it cannot be/happen unless some God makes it so??

As for what is north of north...:
    Polaris. The North star. (...) More NORTH!

We are talking about this planet of ours. To ask what is north of the northpole makes no sense whatsoever as the northpole is the absolute north by its very definition. You might as well ask what is more dead than dead, or what is more empty than vacuum. It makes NO SENSE.

But the best part is this:
    According to the Bible He just speaks and nothing becomes everything.

Followed by this:
    Magic? Never said anything about magic.

:rolleyes:

Bring on J. K. Rowling, I say. At least her books aren't riddled with contradictions.

All hail Harry Potter! :D He gave his life to safe us from He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named! And thus, he lived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I disagree. Like I pointed out to Mark there are even scientists who are asking about what was there before the big bang so why can’t I?

Most scientists studying the big bang realize that "before" doesn't apply. What they have are mathematical models that remove time from the equation.
    If time, space and matter all start to begin to exist at the moment of the big bang then at some point there was nothing at all, unless you want to postulate that there was in fact something, but that would go against what is practically universally accepted in the scientific world today, that at some point there was nothing.

You slightly miss understand. As with particles emerging from zero-point states scientists have demonstrated mathematically that the Big Bang can emerge from "nothing". Nothing is of course defined in terms of context of our universe. Time and space come out of nothingness.

What you are doing is place something (your God) in that eternal nothing to trigger the Big Bang. That isn't actually necessary from a mathematically position, as far as I understand it. You don't need God sitting in the nothingness to pop the universe into existence. The universe can pop into existence from nothing by itself.

You probably think that sounds like nonsense, how can nothing turn itself into something. But then as I keep trying explain to you a heck of a lot of quantum physics sounds like nonsense when assessed with our intuition.

And of course we need so some what define what we mean by "nothing" in this context.
    The New Testament calls Jesus the speaking agent through whom God created the universe.

Which explains exactly nothing. The "speaking agent"? What the heck does that mean? God used sound waves from his voice box to make the universe out of nothing?

Again "God did it" doesn't explain anything. It just gives you a reason to stop asking the questions because you would be satisfied with simply "God did it", that is all you are trying to demonstrate.
    Which one could you change “significantly” and still have a similar universe?
    The weak nuclear force
    http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0264-9381/14/4/002/
    It was (or is one of them) if God did it. If God didn’t do it then yeah, sure it is just a product of the universe and not a goal.
    Can you stop with the cyclical assertions then

The existence of life is not evidence for a fine tuned universe, itself evidence for a creator, if the existence of life is only significant (ie was a purpose) if one starts from the position that God exists.
    It isn't fine tuned to permit our form of life. Which is why we don't find our form of life every where.

Life appears to be a quite unlikely event in the grand scheme of the universe, which ironically is also used by some people to justify the belief in a creator.

If the universe is fine tuned for anything it is producing stars. Surprisingly you don't get a whole lot of religions springing up teaching that the purpose of the universe is to create stars, and we are just some bi-product complex chemical reaction.

People only want to believe in a fine tuned purposeful universe if we are the purpose.
    Life as we don’t know it????? How will we ever find that? Think about it. How do we know that rocks aren’t life that we don’t know it? We don’t.
    Are you kidding me?

You want to argue that the universe if fine tuned for life, thus suggesting a creator with this purpose (to create life), by arguing that rocks might be a form of "life"?
    Just say you don’t believe them to be right instead of arbitrarily branding them so as if it were a scientific fact.
    They are scientifically wrong and I assure you that isn't an arbitrary declaration.
    You don’t know that either.
    I can say with 99.999999999% certainty that a universe like ours will produce life like us. I can say that with such certainty because I am life like use and I exist in a universe like ours.

The 0.00000000001% is for the slim off chance that we are in some virtual world in another universe in a Matrix style hyper reality.
    Assuming that things like that could occur to a grain of sand then I don’t see why that grain of sand should think otherwise, why should it?
    Well because the rest of the solar system doesn't give a hoot about the grain of sand.

If one wanted to we could expand this out to every single molecule in the universe and say that each one thinks that every other molecule exists simply so that it can exist.

It is ultimately a nonsense way of looking at the universe, the idea that everything else was created by something for the purposes of allowing you to exist, or the grain of sand to exist, or the molecule to exist.

If one is prepared to think that everything exists for the purpose of allowing them to exist then of course they are going to see the fact that everything does exist as evidence that something created it for the purpose of allowing them to exist.

But ultimately it is nonsense, it is looking for evidence of purpose where there is in fact none.

How big would the universe have to be before you thought that maybe you are not the purpose for the universe existing?
    The size of the universe shouldn’t have any baring on the value we place in ourselves even if we are deluded.

this has nothing to do with the value we place on ourselves. This has to do with using our own existence as some kind of evidence that the universe was created by something for the purpose of allowing us to exist.

I am perfectly happy to think that humans are valuable without the idea that the entire universe was created by something to allow us to exist.
    Where has this been observed?
    In created vacuums in science labs.
    Yes of course, until it can open it. Then it proceeds to the next closed door behind which they will also start out modeling what’s there until that door is open and so on.
    that is a terrible analogy. Science is not like opening a series of doors.
    Yes I said that the big bang theory postulates a beginning but I never said that the big bang theory postulates a cause. I said that myself.

well perhaps you need to be clearer with lines like this

My assertion is based on what Science is telling us, nothing else.

Science is not telling you that the big bang had a cause. It is telling you that the concept of a "cause" might not apply because time originated with the big bang.
    There is no such thing as stupid questions just stupid answers.
    I assure you there are stupid questions ....
    There is probably no “before” that as we would measure it with time because there was no time but there could have been an “always was and is and will be” at that point and still is and ever will be even after the universe is no more.

Can you explain how causality works in an "always was and is and will be" system please?
    So you admit that time began to exist and that everything in time that begins to exist has a cause
    I "admit" that time began to exist but I certainly don't admit that everything that begins has a cause since the evidence of quantum physics suggests otherwise.

And you haven't answered my question, how can you have causality without time itself?
    I would say that it doesn’t need a cause in time but outside of time. If there is an outside of time dimension then isn’t it conceivable that time as we know it could have been caused from that? If not, why not?
    Because without a time line how can you have causality.

Again "cause" is something at one point in time triggering an event in another point in time. I hit the football so the football moves through space.

If you don't have a time line how does that work? Nothing happens because there is no time for it to happen in.
    What then?
    Something other than matter.
    According to the Bible He just speaks and nothing becomes everything.

Wonderful. That explains exactly nothing :rolleyes: It doesn't even make sense. What do you mean "God speaks"? He produces air vibrations with a voice box?
    Magic? Never said anything about magic.

God "speaks" nothing becomes something sounds like magic to me.

How can God turn nothing into something? Where does the something come from?

Again "God did it" answers absolutely nothing and raises a whole ton of questions that religious people do not have the answers for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

How can there be misconceptions about that which no one really understands? Anyway I’ve read them and here’s what they say:

“Another misconception is that we tend to image the singularity as a little fireball appearing somewhere in space. According to the many experts however, space didn't exist prior to the Big Bang. Back in the late '60s and early '70s, when men first walked upon the moon, "three British astrophysicists, Steven Hawking, George Ellis, and Roger Penrose turned their attention to the Theory of Relativity and its implications regarding our notions of time. In 1968 and 1970, they published papers in which they extended Einstein's Theory of General Relativity to include measurements of time and space.1, 2 According to their calculations, time and space had a finite beginning that corresponded to the origin of matter and energy."3 The singularity didn't appear in space; rather, space began inside of the singularity. Prior to the singularity, nothing existed, not space, time, matter, or energy - nothing. So where and in what did the singularity appear if not in space? We don't know. We don't know where it came from, why it's here, or even where it is. All we really know is that we are inside of it and at one time it didn't exist and neither did we.”

The singularity you are talking about is something; the singularity from which space, matter and time came from was nothing. An infinitely dense, mass-less of absolutely nothing. But let us assume that before space time which Wick says we can’t assume (in the same way that north of north can’t be assumed), you are correct and there was something before space, time matter etc… If your singularity was something even if infinitesimally micro in size, then how can all of the what we now call the universe have come from such a tiny entity if there was no cause or causer? But was already pointed out this is not the case. Don’t blame me, I didn’t come up with this concept. Blame Hawking and Penrose.

We are both talking of the same singularity, and unfortuantely the website AllAboutScience.com has dumbed down the explanation and so has made it meaningless. The part you made bold at the end shows this. If time was created when the singularity underwent the Big Bang, then how can the singularity not have existed at some time, if time did not exist before the Big Bang? The Timeline of the Big Bang section in wikipedia goes through this better in describing the Augustinian era:
    The phrase "Augustinian Era" is meant to convey the idea that the known laws of physics break down in a gravitational singularity of infinite density at the time zero of the Big Bang, so that according to Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity there were no times prior to that point. However, physicists believe that general relativity becomes incompatible with quantum mechanics at the Planck scale, so that the predictions of general relativity cannot be trusted before the Planck era when energies and temperatures reached the Planck scale, and that we need a theory of quantum gravitation before we can say anything about times before the Planck era.
    I’m not suggesting that life HAD to exist, I’m saying that life just happens to exist. Surely we are entitled to at least ask why? Even if we live forever on this rock and never get a satisfactory answer we are still entitle to ask why we are here, and if there is ultimately no meaning to anything then assuming we are alone doesn’t have to make sense, because nothing makes sense if the universe is causeless and meaningless. The error of religion is one among many errors all equally meaningless.

But by asking "why" you are implying some kind of purpose, ie life came about in order to do .... The question you ask, as a scientist, is not why, but how. There is no reason to assume life has some great purpose in the universe, there is no reason to assume life is anything more than a series of chemical reactions that ended up in a species of self-aware beings with a superiority complex.
    As above yes NOTHING blame Penrose and Hawking.

No, not nothing. You can blame AllAboutScience if you like for dumbing it down to the point where they go and contradict themselves if you like.
    Don’t take my word for it. “The singularity didn't appear in space; rather, space began inside of the singularity. Prior to the singularity, nothing existed, not space, time, matter, or energy - nothing. So where and in what did the singularity appear if not in space? We don't know. We don't know where it came from, why it's here, or even where it is. All we really know is that we are inside of it and at one time IT DIDN’T EXIST and neither did we.”

If time began inside the singularity, then how could the singularity not exist at some time?
    I’m not asking the wrong questions. What’s wrong with asking what caused the big bang? Even scientist ask that question. Some have even proposed that our big bang was the result of a big bounce from the collapse of another universe which is as non verifiable as what science says the concept of God is. How can you test for something that lies outside the immediate measurable universe? And how could that universe have condensed into a nothingness state?

Wicknight said "concepts such as "before" and ideas of cause and effect are rather null and void when discussing any possible trigger of the big bang." You then said "Why, isn't that science", and I pointed out that by using terminology that doesn't apply, you cannot ask the right question. Asking what happened before the Big Bang is like asking what is the shape of blue, the question is meaningless in the context you put it in, you wont get a meaningful answer.
    The singularity did have a beginning. According to Hawking and Penrose there was a point where it didn’t exist then from nothing it existed and within billionths of a second everything came into being and began to expand and is still expanding. So if Hawking and Penrose are correct then this singularity had a beginning and therefore is not eternal.

From a public lecture by Stephen Hawking himself:
    At this time, the Big Bang, all the matter in the universe, would have been on top of itself. The density would have been infinite. It would have been what is called, a singularity. At a singularity, all the laws of physics would have broken down. This means that the state of the universe, after the Big Bang, will not depend on anything that may have happened before, because the deterministic laws that govern the universe will break down in the Big Bang. The universe will evolve from the Big Bang, completely independently of what it was like before. Even the amount of matter in the universe, can be different to what it was before the Big Bang, as the Law of Conservation of Matter, will break down at the Big Bang.
    Everything is possible once you don’t enclose yourself within the bubble that everything is not possible. Modern day technological achievements only two centuries ago would have been thought impossible and yet here we are building LHCs.

I didn't say anything about everyhting not being possible, I just said that the plausability of anything is subjective. Which is obvious, because why everything may be possible, not everything is plausable.
    On their own what are they? Practically nothing. Powerless, meaningless, purposeless and yet somehow they arrange themselves into atoms which arrange themselves into molecules which seem to have a mind of their own and arrange themselves into structured and coded DNA strands which just happened to be the buildings blocks of all biological complex life forms.
    Then we have dark matter and dark energy the dominant forces in the universe which are not even made up of what we call subatomic particles. Invisible to the eye and yet billions pass through us every day without colliding with anything else in our molecular or subatomic make up. What’s driving it all?
    Particles arent powerless meaningless and purposeless. Photons are repsonsible for electromagnetic phenomina. Gluons cause nuclei to hold together and Bosons mediate the Weak Force, one of the Fundamental Forces of Nature. Atoms arrange into molecules because of interactions of repulsion and attraction (eg VSEPR theory, van der Waals forces, electrostatic interactions etc) and entropy. They have no mind of their own, the forces that go to making molecules goes to the supramolecular scale of proteins and DNA. All this was covered in leaving cert chemistry, you have no excuse for not knowing it.
    You believe it is a mindless, purposeless, process of nature and I believe that it’s God. If that’s where the burden of proof stops then that’s is where is I stand on the issue. For anyone to be called stupid for believing God did it then it would have to be proven that God didn’t do it.

No, for anyone claiming that God did it, they need to prove it. They, at the very least, need to give a scientific reason why "God did it" would even be a plausible possibility.
    Well no it doesn’t point to God. The study of the cosmos is where science and religion meet.

So science and religion don't cross paths on anything else besides the cosmos, the thing that humanity knows by far the least amount. Well I suppose it the easiest place to find gaps.
    Religion has its explanation about the universe and science has it’s explanation. Religion says that God did it and science doesn’t know scientifically how it happened. And if science is the study of that which can be observed then how can it observe nothing if that is where the universe came from?

So religion says God made the universe, and science says it has no definite answers ye. Do you side with religion because you are afraid of uncertanty? Will you accept an answer, any answer, just to fill your own gaps?
    I like answers. I like knowing things. But I would rather be left with the hard right questions than be given the easy wrong answers.
    When you start out in science with the belief that God cannot and does not exist and there is no way you are going to allow Him into the equation no matter what, then that also is not very scientific.

No it wouldn't be completely scientific to completely remove any possibility from an equation, but theh again where have I done this?
    If one can conclude that the universe came from nothing then that is a miracle.

Depends on what you mean by miracle.
    Not if the big bang model is accurate. All matter no matter how big something might be now on the macro level, came into being at the same point in time as everything else and that was from nothing at all. How? Either God it or something else did? What else could have done it? If it was casueless then how can the universe begin to exist if it has no cause? To have no cause means it still doesn’t exist. But it does exist!!! Like I said before, the alternatives to the “God did it” argument are harder to believe if we are to take the big bang model as being the right one. And still today the big bang model is the most tested and accepted model even by atheists. So my argument is that it must have been an eternal super intellect not bound by the laws and constraints that our universe and us are bound to that must have created it.

Read the Hawkings lecture.
    But macro scale reality has at its subatomic micro level what appears to be random unobservable behavior by the particles that make up the very atoms from which the macro entity is made. So the reality of the macro entity - say a star - is caused by this seeming randomness at the subatomic level because once you take that randomness out of the reality - which is the macro entity - then you cease to have the entity. But that is all besides the point about the big bang singularity. From that nothingness state came everything. But how?

If you remove the randomness of particles they don't cease to exist. Very large particles dont randomly move much (relative to small particles) and they don't exist less. Freezing particles of any size slows down particle movement, cold things don't exist less than warm things (if you disagree then pour liquid helium on your hands and tell me that a -269 degree liquid barely exists).

Advertisement