Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW X5 VS Ssangyong Rexton?

Options
  • 04-10-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Ok, perhaps this is a total no-brainer for some, but I'm totally undecided and confused..

So here's the dilemma of miniscule proportions:

I can get a 06 Ssangyong Rexton for the same price as a 01 BMW X5 and I have no idea which would be the better choice?

Obviously I'd be get a much newer car with the Rexton for the same money as a 7yr old X5, on the other hand Ssangyong have a dubious reputation to say the least, whereas the BMW is reliable and trusted.

Both have pretty similar specs, both are diesel, automatic, full leather interior etc..

One thing in the Rexton's favour is that it has a Mercedes engine and gear box.

Ok, so I know a lot of people count the Rexton dog-ugly surprisingly though I really happen like it, interior included!

I'm not a badge/reg plate snob, so year/brand doesn't really bother me..

I like both, and both are roughly same price.

Which is the better buy?

The newer Ssangyong, or the older BMW?

Any pros/cons of either which I may want to consider?

Which would you choose and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Neither.

If your in the line for something like that, go for a Audi A4 Avant TDi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

I would go with the rexton ahead of the x5.They have a decent trade in value also,and you are well up the years.I wouldnt go near the audi because they are not as good as made out to be and they are abit of a kiddies boy racer/scumbags car:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I have an X5 since 2006 and haven't had any problems only the rear tracking has to be done on a regular basis, I chipped mine and it's way faster and nearly an extra 100 miles on a full tank. Build quality and handling aren't great with the Rexton, I knew a few people with them and they couldn't wait to get rid of them and found it hard to get rid of them. I'd recommend the X5 any day. Mercedes engines are nothing to write home about tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

I`d say in that case the Rexton is the better value all round i.e. 01 x5 vs 06 Rexton....but jeesuus the Rexton got a right ol` batterin` with the ugly stick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

kluivert wrote: »
    Neither.

If your in the line for something like that, go for a Audi A4 Avant TDi.

Tbh never even heard of the Avant til now - on googling it, it appears to be an estate? Personally, I hate estates, they don't appeal to me at all.. thanks for the suggestion though! :)
    tv3 wrote: »
    I would go with the rexton ahead of the x5.They have a decent trade in value also,and you are well up the years.I wouldnt go near the audi because they are not as good as made out to be and they are abit of a kiddies boy racer/scumbags car:D

Tbh would've thought that the resale value on a Ssangyong would be pretty poor, not too bothered about trade in value tho, prob hang onto it for a while.. thanks for the input!
    junkyard wrote: »
    I have an X5 since 2006 and haven't had any problems only the rear tracking has to be done on a regular basis, I chipped mine and it's way faster and nearly an extra 100 miles on a full tank. Build quality and handling aren't great with the Rexton, I knew a few people with them and they couldn't wait to get rid of them and found it hard to get rid of them. I'd recommend the X5 any day. Mercedes engines are nothing to write home about tbh.

Thanks for the informative reply!

Tbh haven't really done my homework on the X5 yet, as I was just doing some last minute research on the Rexton when I saw I could get approx a 01 for the same price, always liked the X5's..

I wonder if there's much difference between the older/newer models of X5's?

Btw, mind me asking what this chipping is? I'm not a real car enthusiast as you can probably guess! lol Obviously I know chipping means getting more out of your car, but how exactly do you go about it, costs involved etc..?

Well lots more food for thought now!

Thanks for all the info

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

meesa wrote: »
    I`d say in that case the Rexton is the better value all round i.e. 01 x5 vs 06 Rexton....but jeesuus the Rexton got a right ol` batterin` with the ugly stick!!

Lol, what is it with people and the Rexton?? Yeah yeah, ok, so the Rodious is one ugly brute, that's a given, and the Musso didn't rate too highly either.. but y'know what, I like the Rexton. Honestly. and everyone else hates it, what am I missing??

Maybe my taste sucks...

Naaah.. it ain't that bad.

Is it? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

Don`t let your other half see this thread ...she`ll be in therapy for years!!!..only joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The newer X5 has a slight facelift over the older one bit you'd nearly need to have the two parked side by side to see the difference. I have a tuning box fitted to my one and it just plugs in to the existing loom and can be removed or fitted in about ten minutes, it boosts your brake horse power and feel like you've added another turbo to the engine. Truthfully I wouldn't even consider the Rexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I wouldnt go near the audi because they are not as good as made out to be and they are abit of a kiddies boy racer/scumbags car:D

Can't say I've ever seen a boy racer in an A4 Avant.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

boardsie08 wrote: »
    Maybe my taste sucks...

Naaah.. it ain't that bad.

Is it? :o
    I'm afraid so.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

OP I've made it very easy for you....

Which one would you rather bang for the next 3 years?

Salma-Hayek1.jpgKateWinslett_400.jpg

The classy sexy as hell older woman
    Or the solid average looking younger version?

Sorry must go now, Salma is calling me again.....

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hammertime wrote: »

LOL - when choosing between an X5 and a REXTON and looking at the pics above, using the old saying
    "shure they're all the same when their on their back", doesn't work in this instance!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

gotta be the X5

I would say if you looked in the UK you could get a 04 3.0D for about €35k after import

running costs of both will be huge with massive depreciation on the SSangyong

Kate for me aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

The engines in rextons aren't mercedes - there licensed by mercedes which is a different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hammertime wrote: »

Personnally I'd say Kate Winslet is the much better all rounder and especially in the areas that matter,

An airbrushed exterior isn't everything.

0000ba5710dr.jpg

Drive both and see which you prefer, buy that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Another vote for X5/Salma. Can we get a poll for this?

I would go with the rexton ahead of the x5.They have a decent trade in value

Absolute rubbish! The Rexton is near sale-proof second hand.

Do the sums - how much will an X5 depreciate while it goes from 7 to 10 years old versus a Rexton going from 2 to 5 years old?
    I'm presuming a 3 year ownership cycle, which may not apply to OP.

I'd expect the X5 to be more refined and more enjoyable to drive at the same time.
    I'd also expect the Rexton will cost multiples of what the X5 will cost, in terms of running cost and depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

One thing that no-one seems to have asked (or I've missed) what do you want the vehicle for? Is it actually going to go offroad? Will it be shifting heavy loads? Or do you simply like the idea of having a jeep with the higher driving position and all-round visibility?

Personally I wouldn't pick either of the 2 you've selected, I'd be more inclined to look at a Landcruiser or Shogun/Pajero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

AudiChris wrote: »

Do the sums - how much will an X5 depreciate while it goes from 7 to 10 years old versus a Rexton going from 2 to 5 years old?

I'd expect the X5 to be more refined and more enjoyable to drive at the same time.
    I'd also expect the Rexton will cost multiples of what the X5 will cost, in terms of running cost and depreciation.

audichris sums it up.....well done. the rexton is sale proof, find your self a decent x5 with a detailed service history. those rextons are pure ugly, you'll hate it after a few months.

RichyX wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever seen a boy racer in an A4 Avant.
    Do you go out much...:rolleyes:The rexton with the mercedes engine is a great buy.Mercedes are prob the best out of bmw v mercedes.Bmw are not all that in my view.Lbh the bmw is nearly 8 years old and the rexton is just a couple of years.Nobody will want the x5 when you do decide to sell it with the age on it and prob the milage!

Rexton all the way between the two of them!:D

The rexton is just as much in running cost if not less so i think you should do research on that "audidude".Infact when the rexton was on topgear clarkson loved it so again this is somebody who knows what they are talking about.A 8 year old bmw will be running in trouble as they always do when they get past 7+ years.I wouldnt even consider the bmw.STAY AWAY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've driven a Rexton, both Manual and Auto versions, and they were truly hateful machines. Made my old Pajero Sport seem like a refined luxury saloon.

Between the 2 it would have to be the X5, but I'd also be looking at the LandCruiser.

The rexton is just as much in running cost if not less so i think you should do research on that "audidude".

Make your point, mind your tone please.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The rexton is just as much in running cost if not less so i think you should do research on that "audidude".Infact when the rexton was on topgear clarkson loved it so again this is somebody who knows what they are talking about.A 8 year old bmw will be running in trouble as they always do when they get past 7+ years.I wouldnt even consider the bmw.STAY AWAY

what are you on about, you said the rexton has a decent trade in value, it doesn't. You would have to pay a garage to take it off your hands.

Please link anywhere that Clarkson said he loved it. You can't just make stuff up in this internet age.

Top gear review, 2 stars:

http://www.topgear.com/drives/G3/A2/roadtests/01/01.html

the Rexton's chassis set up fails to dish up decent comfort levels. Road imperfections are multiplied by 10, treating occupants to a free but un-welcome massage. And, oddly, in corners and at anything other than snail's pace, the body rolls in a most stomach-churning fashion.

So, while the Rexton may look the part, its budget price doesn't translate into a cheap M-Class. The simple fact is, in this sector, if you want quality, you'll have to dig deeper into the wallet.

copacetic wrote: »
    what are you on about, you said the rexton has a decent trade in value, it doesn't. You would have to pay a garage to take it off your hands.

Please link anywhere that Clarkson said he loved it. You can't just make stuff up in this internet age.

Top gear review, 2 stars:

http://www.topgear.com/drives/G3/A2/roadtests/01/01.html
    This is rubbish!
    A 2005 rexton is worth alot more than a 2001 x5.Remember the 2001 x5 is going on 8 year old now and you would get f**k all on a trade compared to the 2 the "mecerdes" rexton.All round the rexton is much better value and will cost alot less to repair if something goes wrong compared to the x5!
    You should buy the top of the range rexton:)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

This is rubbish!
    A 2005 rexton is worth alot more than a 2001 x5.Remember the 2001 x5 is going on 8 year old now and you would get f**k all on a trade compared to the 2 the "mecerdes" rexton.All round the rexton is much better value and will cost alot less to repair if something goes wrong compared to the x5!
    You should buy the top of the range rexton:)

again, please link to where Clarkson 'loved' the Rexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Do you go out much...:rolleyes:The rexton with the mercedes engine is a great buy.Mercedes are prob the best out of bmw v mercedes.Bmw are not all that in my view.Lbh the bmw is nearly 8 years old and the rexton is just a couple of years.Nobody will want the x5 when you do decide to sell it with the age on it and prob the milage!

Rexton all the way between the two of them!:D

As has been said the rextons engine is not made by mercedes but the design is 'licenced' to ssangyong, makes the world of difference. Also, you should do a search for rexton on this forum and you'll get 2 accounts (iirc) of the engines blowing on them.

If you actually look at a Rexton from underneath you'll realise that its engineering is actually from the stoneage - way more dated than even an 7 year old BMW. And thats before you look at the body, easily the ugliest car you can buy. Buying a Rexton screams that you know nothing about cars - period.

I personally wouldn't buy either car, they're unnecessary on irish roads.

OP, what are you actually looking for from a car, if you just want the SUV high driving position may I suggest a Nissan Qashqai 7 seater. It'd leave you with change from your 35k.

Actually so would one of these http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Land-Rover/Range-Rover/3.0-TD6/1109957/

Best thing to do is go to a garage and see what they say,then try another garage and see what they say because it "seems" most of the comments here posted by people dont have a clue but are giving there views on LOOKS :rolleyes: which is the wrong thing to be relying on when buying a car/jeep.:D

Can you help me out with your sums, tv3?

How much do you think a 2006 Rexton costs now, average mileage and condition? How much do you think it'll be worth in three years?
    How much do you think a 2001 X5 costs now, average mileage and condition? How much do you think it'll be worth in three years?

I'd be interested to see how your numbers stack up.

How much do you think a 2006 Rexton costs now, average mileage and condition? How much do you think it'll be worth in three years?
    How much do you think a 2001 X5 costs now, average mileage and condition? How much do you think it'll be worth in three years?

Short and simple go on carzone if YOU wana know !:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Don't mind him Chris, he's talking through his Rexton! :)
    Clarkson never had the Rectum on Top Gear, a picture was on it once and they all were horrified at how it looked.

Edit : Can't believe we're comparing women when talking about an ugly car and a completely offensive looking one!!

Advertisement