Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW X5 VS Ssangyong Rexton?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Biro wrote: »
    Don't mind him Chris, he's talking through his Rexton! :)
    Clarkson never had the Rectum on Top Gear, a picture was on it once and they all were horrified at how it looked.

Edit : Can't believe we're comparing women when talking about an ugly car and a completely offensive looking one!!
    Didnt have it on top gear...????Wouldnt be sure about that but im 100% sure it was :o
    http://www.topgear.com/drives/G3/A2/...sts/01/01.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

tv3 wrote: »
    Didnt have it on top gear...????Wouldnt be sure about that but im 100% sure it was :o
    http://www.topgear.com/drives/G3/A2/...sts/01/01.html

What episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Short and simple go on carzone if YOU wana know !:rolleyes:

Ahhhh, but that would be no fun would it? We're all waiting with baited breath for you to put your many years of professional experience in the Motor Industry to good use, and give us the inside line.

Or am I getting confused and you really don't know much about the subject, and AudiChris is giving us the benefit of his many years of experience?

What episode?
    Well you seem to know it wasnt so ive posted a link all you have to do now is find it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stop unnecessarily reporting posts, tv3.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    Ahhhh, but that would be no fun would it? We're all waiting with baited breath for you to put your many years of professional experience in the Motor Industry to good use, and give us the inside line.

Or am I getting confused and you really don't know much about the subject, and AudiChris is giving us the benefit of his many years of experience?
    Why would i have to explain my view on what op asked???Go back to the first post and read his question !
    Audichris:pac:

unkel wrote: »
    Stop unnecessarily reporting posts, tv3.
    Why is that??

Well you seem to know it wasnt so ive posted a link all you have to do now is find it:eek:

Wow... what an intelligent post. How can I find something that isn't there?

Its called "research"...do you know what that is??

Its called "research"...do you know what that is??

? Think about what you're saying. If you think it's there, find it. I think it isn't there, so how the hell am I supposed to find it?
    What's wrong with your attitude?

• Advertisement

? Think about what you're saying. If you think it's there, find it. I think it isn't there, so how the hell am I supposed to find it?
    What's wrong with your attitude?
    Ok il make it short and simple again ok.I would pick the rexton over the old x5 ok.Now thats my pick ok :D
    My attitude is fine but i was going to ask you the same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ok il make it short and simple again ok.I would pick the rexton over the old x5 ok.Now thats my pick ok :D

Grand so ...let's leave it at that, shall we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

What possible reason would a person have for getting either? I just don't get what these cars have over a normal saloon or estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

What possible reason would a person have for getting either? I just don't get what these cars have over a normal saloon or estate.
    If the OP ever returns to the thread and answers some of the questions he's been asked, then we might find out why he's singled out these particular vehicles. Could be that he lives on a farm and needs the ground-clearance & 4wd, could be a number of reasons. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Top Dog wrote: »
    If the OP ever returns to the thread and answers some of the questions he's been asked, then we might find out why he's singled out these particular vehicles. Could be that he lives on a farm and needs the ground-clearance & 4wd, could be a number of reasons. ;)
    Fair enough for the people who do need ground clearance and 4wd but for 98% of SUV drivers who don't I would love to know the reasoning.

I hear you on that. Sister in law has a Santa Fe, and for the life of me I couldn't understand why they'd replaced their Mondeo with an SUV. Then she told me how much the kids liked being out in the fields in the husbands parents farm, looking at the animals, so since theirs actually goes off-road (albeit mildly) I forgave her. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Rexton is a truly hateful piece of machinery, in every sense of the word. If the OP is simply looking for a cheaper alternative to X5 ownership there are better options. Pretty much every SUV out there is superior to the SsangYong. People may scoff at brands like Kia or Hyundai, but their offerings are in a different league to SsangYong. The only SUV I can think of that's a worse prospect than the Rexton is the Tata Safari.

Depreciation is definatly an issue with the Rexton, they are a very hard sell. Aside from that, the X5 is an infinitely better machine, and even a 01 commands a lot more respect than an 08 Rexton.

Also, I disagree with all TV3's comments!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Rexton is a truly hateful piece of machinery, in every sense of the word. If the OP is simply looking for a cheaper alternative to X5 ownership there are better options. Pretty much every SUV out there is superior to the SsangYong. People may scoff at brands like Kia or Hyundai, but their offerings are in a different league to SsangYong. The only SUV I can think of that's a worse prospect than the Rexton is the Tata Safari.

Depreciation is definatly an issue with the Rexton, they are a very hard sell. Aside from that, the X5 is an infinitely better machine, and even a 01 commands a lot more respect than an 08 Rexton.

You are saying a 2001 x5 is better than a 2008 rexton...:rolleyes:do you know anything about the 2008 rexton???obvisiously not making comments like that!
    And nobody asked you to agree or disagree as it is not a poll,the op asked a question so answer him !:D

You are saying a 2001 x5 is better than a 2008 rexton...:rolleyes:do you know anything about the 2008 rexton???obvisiously not making comments like that!
    And nobody asked you to agree or disagree as it is not a poll,the op asked a question so answer him !:D
    I think you'll find that the OP referred to a '06 not a '08 Rexton. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Hammertime wrote: »
    OP I've made it very easy for you....

Which one would you rather bang for the next 3 years?

Salma-Hayek1.jpgKateWinslett_400.jpg

The classy sexy as hell older woman
    Or the solid average looking younger version?

Sorry must go now, Salma is calling me again.....

:p

Haha, great post! Personally, between the two I think I'd have to go with "Rose"!

Now however if we're just adding some obligatory gratuitous LILF's photos, then I'd have to say that Dita would win by a mile! :D

DitaVonTeeseL_800x521.jpg
    Jonty wrote: »
    The engines in rextons aren't mercedes - there licensed by mercedes which is a different thing.

Ah didn't realise that! That's good to know!
    Top Dog wrote: »
    One thing that no-one seems to have asked (or I've missed) what do you want the vehicle for? Is it actually going to go offroad? Will it be shifting heavy loads? Or do you simply like the idea of having a jeep with the higher driving position and all-round visibility?

Personally I wouldn't pick either of the 2 you've selected, I'd be more inclined to look at a Landcruiser or Shogun/Pajero.

Won't be for off-road in particular, but I need something higher up as one of the full time passengers is disabled with limited mobility, they find it very hard to get out of lower down saloons, they need something higher up then can step up into/slide down from.

Also need something with a large boot space for work for transporting large items, need something with a larger boot than you're average saloon.

Will also be towing things occasionally. Re: Landcruiser/Shogun/Pajero - tbh haven't looked at these for a number of reasons;

1.) Price - price is a deciding factor atm, so would like as much bang for my buck. These being "name" brands will more than likely be more expensive than a similar spec Rexton.

2.) Could be totally wrong here and nursing a misconception but.. I always had it in my head that the above would be more for "real" off road use, therefore have too high a spec in areas I don't require atm, whilst perhaps won't have as much in the line of creature comforts.. which, with this purchase going to also be a main family car I'd like to have the extras and comfort etc..
    The rexton is just as much in running cost if not less so i think you should do research on that "audidude".Infact when the rexton was on topgear clarkson loved it so again this is somebody who knows what they are talking about.A 8 year old bmw will be running in trouble as they always do when they get past 7+ years.I wouldnt even consider the bmw.STAY AWAY

Saw the review on the actual Top Gear site, wasn't too favourable though.. was it on TV though? If so don't suppose you remember what series/episode? Would love to catch it!

Jeremy Clarkson; "I don't like spunk" :D
    Ferris wrote: »
    As has been said the rextons engine is not made by mercedes but the design is 'licenced' to ssangyong, makes the world of difference. Also, you should do a search for rexton on this forum and you'll get 2 accounts (iirc) of the engines blowing on them.

If you actually look at a Rexton from underneath you'll realise that its engineering is actually from the stoneage - way more dated than even an 7 year old BMW. And thats before you look at the body, easily the ugliest car you can buy. Buying a Rexton screams that you know nothing about cars - period.

I personally wouldn't buy either car, they're unnecessary on irish roads.

OP, what are you actually looking for from a car, if you just want the SUV high driving position may I suggest a Nissan Qashqai 7 seater. It'd leave you with change from your 35k.

Actually so would one of these http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Land-Rover/Range-Rover/3.0-TD6/1109957/

Thanks for that! Lots of food for thought there. Did a few searches on rexton's on here previously, didn't see anything about the engines blowing though.. will look again though would be interested to read accounts of those.

Admittedly, no, I'm not a car buff, far far from it. I just thought that by going for a no name brand I'd be getting more extras for the same/less money than a branded car, plus a few extra years for the same money.

As I said I'm not a label snob, so long as I like it, is comfortable, decent to drive, isn't too appalling on the eye etc then I'm happy. Year/logo isn't a major issue for me.

See above; have a passenger with mobility issues, need it for work etc..
    colm_mcm wrote: »

Yeah, I looked also at the Kia Sportage and Sorento, and also the Santa Fe.

I've always liked Santa Fe's, can get one for around the same money as the rexton, so that's also a contender. However at the prices I'm looking at it would be for the old model 06 one. Would prefer the newer one.

On looking at a few Santa Fe's I much preferred the finish of the interior of the Rexton. Found the Santa Fe quite plain. Other than that though it's a contender also.

As for KIA.. went looking at these with an open mind. Was expecting to like them and see extras included in the price that would cost extra with other makes given their status in Ireland.

Was very disappointed in them though. First tried the Sportage, absolutely hated it! Cheap grey plastic everywhere, horrible hard thin seats, tinny all over.. didn't like a single thing about it.

The Sorento was little better. Sat in a 07 one (was out of fuel!) hated the interior.. like some pre 80's carina. Didn't even have elec windows in the back. Horrible cheap looking grey plastic all over, horrid grey lumpy seats, just didn't like it at all!

Was very surprised by this as I thought that Kia would have made more of an effort with the interior in order to win over people from more established brands. Didn't appeal to me at all.

Looked at a Lexus RX300 also, liked this however I think it was insurance or road tax that was gonna be a killer on it.. so that was make or break on that and sadly it broke.

Y'know in posting this I actually went for the create a poll option, damn thing didn't work though!

Hmmm, should I set up one? Although it seems like a pretty foregone conlusion on here that the BMW is the better buy, perhaps if I set up an anonymous vote some peeps may speak up in favour of the Rexton..

Thanks for everyones comments - appreciated!

Can't say I've decided fully yet, the idea of getting a 5 years newer Rexton with v. low mileage for same price as a 7 year old X5 is still appealing..given that both have similar specs; leather seats, diesel, automatic etc etc..

Think I'll go take an X5 for a test drive early on next week and give it a good mull over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would steer clear of the Rexton! What an ugly beast! Also that "made under license" would put me off. Think about what YOUR current dilema is, why are you considering an old BMW not an old Rexton? (I know budget is main reasin but read on) Do you think anyone will lust after an old Rexton? That tells you about it's resale potential & general desireability.
    I have driven (or owned) X5 along with Land Cruiser/Discovery/Pajero/DMax Isuzu/L200 & the BMW is streets ahead in terms of on-road driving. I can only imagine the Rexton being a poor copy (of Merc M class, another reliability disaster BTW) is not even as good a drive as the Land Cruiser or Disco.
    However if you are considering a 7 year old BMW factor in the cost of sme preventative maintenance, especially for cooling system. The potential candidate vehicle is likely to have 80k miles plus, you may also have to allow for the cost of freshening up the suspension.
    The road tax will be the same for any vehicle over 3 litre (pre-2008) unless you go commercial. Can't imagine insurance for any vehicle with a 3 litre engine will be wildly different (re your comment on Lexus) especially if vehicle values are similar too.
    Reckon you'll get better than a '01 at the minute too l, I bet you'll get a '02 for your '01 money, the market must be fairly stagnant in the X5 category, also with new model now firmly in place the values of original X5 have to be softening now.
    Anyway I vote for the BMW, I'm not just voting for it cos I'm a BMW fan (& I am BTW!), I'm voting for it because it us a better car in every way.
    Best of luck whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

^^^^^^^^^^

For sure the longest post I've ever come across on Boards!:D

Edit: Dang! Too slow...

T-Maxx wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^

For sure the longest post I've ever come across on Boards!:D

Edit: Dang! Too slow...

Yeah, but it had a nice pic of Dita in it, so it was worth it, right?? ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Feck the BM, RECTUM and all the others..........My vote is for one of these.....it's the current model and they are now to be had at decent money......real luxobrage prestige 4x4.
    discuss!

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Land-Rover/Range-Rover/3.0-TD6/962382/

presume you are talking about OP's last post :) I'm typing on my iPhone from a hotel room in Vegas. Hung over too, so my post probably took lnger than OP! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

if you don't really care which one to go for consider an xc90, you should be able to get a something in between the two extremes you posted.

generally they are reliable, nice to drive, lots of space.

Feck the BM, RECTUM and all the others..........My vote is for one of these.....it's the current model and they are now to be had at decent money......real luxobrage prestige 4x4.
    discuss!

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Land-Rover/Range-Rover/3.0-TD6/962382/
    Nice alternative, a friend if mine recently picked up a 2000 Vogue (older model) for €9k from UK all in, €10k a year depreciation though would be hard to swallow!

Another car (yes I know you've referred to jeeps but bear with me) that might suit you could be a Subaru Forester. Ticks most of the boxes really - slightly higher than regular car, decent size boot, strong enough for towing. Would also give you more options with engine size and hence the tax/insurance costs. Might be worth considering? ;)

I would steer clear of the Rexton! What an ugly beast! Also that "made under license" would put me off. Think about what YOUR current dilema is, why are you considering an old BMW not an old Rexton? (I know budget is main reasin but read on) Do you think anyone will lust after an old Rexton? That tells you about it's resale potential & general desireability.
    I have driven (or owned) X5 along with Land Cruiser/Discovery/Pajero/DMax Isuzu/L200 & the BMW is streets ahead in terms of on-road driving. I can only imagine the Rexton being a poor copy (of Merc M class, another reliability disaster BTW) is not even as good a drive as the Land Cruiser or Disco.
    However if you are considering a 7 year old BMW factor in the cost of sme preventative maintenance, especially for cooling system. The potential candidate vehicle is likely to have 80k miles plus, you may also have to allow for the cost of freshening up the suspension.
    The road tax will be the same for any vehicle over 3 litre (pre-2008) unless you go commercial. Can't imagine insurance for any vehicle with a 3 litre engine will be wildly different (re your comment on Lexus) especially if vehicle values are similar too.
    Reckon you'll get better than a '01 at the minute too l, I bet you'll get a '02 for your '01 money, the market must be fairly stagnant in the X5 category, also with new model now firmly in place the values of original X5 have to be softening now.
    Anyway I vote for the BMW, I'm not just voting for it cos I'm a BMW fan (& I am BTW!), I'm voting for it because it us a better car in every way.
    Best of luck whatever you choose.

Thanks for all the info, great post!!

One factor was the the Rexton is a 2.7, whereas the BMW is a 3.0 litre, so hopefully the Rexton would be cheaper to run, more economical etc..

Re: budget; it's not that I'm actively seeking an old X5 versus a newer Rexton, but with my figures for X amount, that amount equates to 06 Rectu.. damnit, Rexton! Vs 01 (or yes, you're right, might just scrape a 02 with todays market) for same money. Just want to get the best value for X amount.

Yeah, I'm sure resale value for the Ssangyong is pretty dismal - had a Daewoo Leganze before as a second car, v. hard to get rid of, got a pittance for it! On saying that though I read somewhere the other day that the Ssangyong Rexton was the 4th most popular 4x4 sold in Ireland, was it last year I think? So people were buying them at some point.. but yes, I agree, BMW would be far easier to trade in/sell later on down the road.

I'll go have a proper look at a X5 later on this week, take a look at a Rexton too to compare.. As I said everyone's made some very valid points, I've taken all on board, can't say I know which I'll go for yet.

It'll prob boil down to comfort on the road, space, and gimmicks and gadgets at the end of the day! lol

I've seen some X5's advertised with some pretty sweet extra's like com packs with Sat Nav, telephones, DVD players, twin LCD screens in the back, Playstation in the boot etc.. that might sway me! :D

Yeah, I'm a gadget whore. And proud!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Stay well clear of anything with a Landrover badge on it, the exception being a Defender and the Volvo XC90 is a primative underpowered yoke. I've owned or driven all of them for periods of time and the X5 is the best by far, you won't regret it.

Advertisement