Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW X5 VS Ssangyong Rexton?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Feck the BM, RECTUM and all the others..........My vote is for one of these.....it's the current model and they are now to be had at decent money......real luxobrage prestige 4x4.
    discuss!

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Land-Rover/Range-Rover/3.0-TD6/962382/

Damn you to hell anyhow for throwing a spanner in the works!!

That looks sweeet!

Looks like we might have another contender!

See, I'm not into my 4X4's so excuse the ignorance.. buuut, I always had it in my head that the Landrovers etc.. were more of a workmans/farmers etc.. car, someone that needed proper off-road ability, etc.. I want something more catered to comfort than true 4x4 ability, what are Landrovers et al like in this regard? Do they have a smooth drive, comfortable seating etc..?

presume you are talking about OP's last post :) I'm typing on my iPhone from a hotel room in Vegas. Hung over too, so my post probably took lnger than OP! :)

Vegas? Niiiiice! hope you're having a great time over there!
    copacetic wrote: »
    if you don't really care which one to go for consider an xc90, you should be able to get a something in between the two extremes you posted.

generally they are reliable, nice to drive, lots of space.

Excuse the ignorance but what's an XC90?
    Top Dog wrote: »
    Another car (yes I know you've referred to jeeps but bear with me) that might suit you could be a Subaru Forester. Ticks most of the boxes really - slightly higher than regular car, decent size boot, strong enough for towing. Would also give you more options with engine size and hence the tax/insurance costs. Might be worth considering? ;)

Just gonna look into one of those now, cheers!

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Another car (yes I know you've referred to jeeps but bear with me) that might suit you could be a Subaru Forester. Ticks most of the boxes really - slightly higher than regular car, decent size boot, strong enough for towing. Would also give you more options with engine size and hence the tax/insurance costs. Might be worth considering? ;)
    A Forester is a car for people who need off-road ability, want a sports car, and couldn't care less about image. I could be wrong, but i'm not getting the feeling that's what the OP is looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Don't buy a Range Rover they're trouble all the way, my last one coat me a fortune and I was all out to get rid of it in the end, it was a 04 too by the way!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Anan1 wrote: »
    A Forester is a car for people who need off-road ability, want a sports car, and couldn't care less about image. I could be wrong, but i'm not getting the feeling that's what the OP is looking for.
    While this might be true, it also fits within his requirements, and won't depreciate like a falling rock. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The Rangerover has air suspension............so the ride will be, well, like on air!
    You gotta take a range rover for a spin.........as i said, a lot of 4x4 for the money, haggle hard and i'd say she'd be gotten for 27.5k or the like.
    and image wise - the X5 and RECTUM you are looking at are old models now superseeded.......the Ranger Rover is still the current model and still looks fresh...........an added bonus in a snobby image world of big 4x4s.
    I owned one briefly, and sold it cos i stole a quick sale on it, regretably.
    lovely bus.......my choice.

Then ,there is another alternative, a big feck off TOYOTA LANDCRUISER AMAZON with all the kit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Hi OP,

I was going to say if you want a good 4 x 4 you have to go for the serious money. As the guy before has linked to the 02 Range Rover I'd say go for that.

All the other are pretty much the same. The Range Rover is like going for a drive in your Sofa in the Sitting room :)

I'd have gone for a Rexton TOD over the 01 BMW though. The TOD stops the ugly auto vac hubs that cause those stupid wheel caps that make the other 2.7 Rextons look ugly. The TOD model looks grand.

As for the Engine being built under license, Ssangyong managed to make it better. You have to keep a good eye on the oil level though, that is why there have been engine failures with that model.

And only buy fuel in proper garages. Topaz etc. I say that because of problems with all common rail diesels and water in injectors. Injectors are serious money. To finish off... 4x4 do NOT drive like cars! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

While this might be true, it also fits within his requirements, and won't depreciate like a falling rock. ;)

i'm sure anan1 can tell us about the depreciation himself but currently thats exactly how they are depreciating, especially the 2.5XTs. do tell anan1;)

i'm sure anan1 can tell us about the depreciation himself but currently thats exactly how they are depreciating, especially the 2.5XTs. do tell anan1;)
    I dunno, copacetic, Carroll & Roche have an 08 demo for €3,500 more than I paid for my new one.;)

Range Rovers don't handle anything like an X5, an X5 is probably the nearest you'll get to a car to drive, the RR is top heavy and giddy and too much goes wrong with them.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anan1 wrote: »
    I dunno, copacetic, Carroll & Roche have an 08 demo for €3,500 more than I paid for my new one.;)

they will have it for a long time at that price though! you are safe since you have yours and are holding on, but apparently they are extremely difficult to shift at the moment as people baulk at the fuel consumption.

great car, i'd be tempted myself but prices would have to drop 10k more before I could justify the fuel costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

junkyard wrote: »
    Range Rovers don't handle anything like an X5, an X5 is probably the nearest you'll get to a car to drive, the RR is top heavy and giddy and too much goes wrong with them.

No 4 x 4's drive even close to cars bar the more modern 4x4 cars Quascows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

OP

If I understand correctly you don't really need a full blown 4x4 ...but you want the height, comfort and some 4WD capability.

Here is the answer to all your questions ...for peanuts !

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Scenic/RX4+4X4+LEATHER+NCT0209+Tax08/1140002/

With leather seats and all !

Yes, it will be pretty much re-sale proof ...but keep it for a few years and it will cost you a lot lass than any other possible alternative and it is a truly useful car (if slightly ugly)

(just make sure that all the elecrics work)

I await an education. Always thought that Subaru's held their value well, but happy to learn if its not the case.

Ever driven a Forester XT?

I await an education. Always thought that Subaru's held their value well, but happy to learn if its not the case.
    I think what he meant was that the last of the new 2.5XTs were heavily discounted for a few weeks in the second half of June, just before the VRT changes kicked in.

Ah yes. I have a vague recollection of reading some of your threads when you were purchasing yours. Back before I was a registered user. ;)

You've obviously never driven an X5 or a Subaru Forrester or a Hyundai Santa Fe. Is a Quascow some new form of motoring?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

The Koschei drives like a real car: the Nissan Almera that we all hated.

The Original Poster doesn't need a tractor and shouldn't buy one, not even a BMW tractor. If you need an elevated passenger seat, buy an S-Max.

That is all.

An S max is a van with seats, that is all.:pac:

An S max is a van with seats, that is all.:pac:

I'm not religious myself, but you are going to Hell.

Or Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Zube wrote: »
    If you need an elevated passenger seat, buy an S-Max.

That is all.

Save your money, buy a Scenic. Cheaper, at least as good, if not better.

Now that really is, all ! :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Save your money, buy a Scenic. Cheaper, at least as good, if not better.

I really don't understand this. Why would you say a cruel thing? Someone might believe you!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Quascow, Koschei, Cashcow - any other misnomers for the Quasqai? :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »

CAR magazine is full of people who hate school-run 4x4s, but they actually quite like the Kumquat, and it's big brother, the Murano.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

Actually its 'Quashqai'. :D Read somewhere, Quashqai: Nissan's cash cow!

You mean the Qashqai?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

I think you missed kumquat! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Stay well clear of anything with a Landrover badge on it, the exception being a Defender and the Volvo XC90 is a primative underpowered yoke. I've owned or driven all of them for periods of time and the X5 is the best by far, you won't regret it.

How about older '01 X5's with relatively average mileage? For a 7 year old car they still command a hefty premium so what sort of problems would an owner likely face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You've obviously never driven an X5 or a Subaru Forrester or a Hyundai Santa Fe. Is a Quascow some new form of motoring?:)

A 5 series is leagues ahead of an X5 to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

How about something like this?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/ML-Class/CDI-AMG/1149086/

Will is break down a lot?

Advertisement