Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards doing homework

Options
  • 04-10-2008 5:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭

Not as above,what would parents think of the principle bringing a guard into a class room to tell the kids to make sure they do there homework,now i know it could have been approached in a nicey nicey way,but im sure it would have upset some kids more than others,come to think of it,it probably couldnt have been handled to nicely or else it wouldnt work,and wait for it they were 1st and 2nd class,hence the reason i am not sure on how it was handled cause my child is only 7.
    what do yous think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i cannot see the point in having a guard wasting his/her time telling kids to do their homework. Its upto the parents to make sure kids do homework.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

seanybiker wrote: »
    i cannot see the point in having a guard wasting his/her time telling kids to do their homework. Its upto the parents to make sure kids do homework.
    Its a small rural school in a country area,how guards punch in there time wouldnt be a priority,the guards time isnt my issue here,its the idea of a guard scareing 7/8yr olds into doing there homework that i would have a problem with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Gardai coming in with videos of the horrors of drugs and warning them is a good use of time.
    But telling them to do homework? :confused:
    Seriously, they have more important work to do or at least should have.

That's between a teacher and a parent to do.
    Who came up with this mad idea and did it actually happen or is it still an idea? I've read this few times and it's unclear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

From the point of view of a serving Garda it's an ideal way to frighten them early and hate you for life :rolleyes:, you also make sure their first experience of a Garda is a negative one.:(

Please tell me this didn't happen:mad:

I thought it was fairly clear from my post that it did happen//
    anyway it did in my school and i was wondering does ut happen in other schools,for all we know it could be a regular happening.
    The guards not haveing anything beter to do i think is beyond the point

• Advertisement

thetyreman wrote: »
    I thought it was fairly clear from my post that it did happen

It certainly wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I thought it was fairly clear from my post that it did happen//

Nothing is clear from your post, maybe try posting again, and breaking up what you are trying to say/ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

it'd be good to bring in a guard and maybe say, 'hey kids, do your homework from an early age or you could end up doing a shít job like me' :pac:

zAbbo wrote: »
    Nothing is clear from your post, maybe try posting again, and breaking up what you are trying to say/ask.
    Dont worry about it,if you cant understand it(the post)ill pass thanks

griffdaddy wrote: »
    it'd be good to bring in a guard and maybe say, 'hey kids, do your homework from an early age or you could end up doing a shít job like me' :pac:

I thought of it but didn't want to say it :D

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    afraid they'd track you down? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Why would the children be scared of a Garda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Not as above,what would parents think of the principle bringing a guard into a class room to tell the kids to make sure they do there homework,now i know it could have been approached in a nicey nicey way,but im sure it would have upset some kids more than others,come to think of it,it probably couldnt have been handled to nicely or else it wouldnt work,and wait for it they were 1st and 2nd class,hence the reason i am not sure on how it was handled cause my child is only 7.
    what do yous think

If it helps them get their spelling and punctuation right, then I'm all for it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Thats brilliant :D

Homework in primary school is a PR exercise, mainly given because parents demand it, but of no value to children.

But, I imagine this was a case of the Community Garda coming in to the school for a chat to meet students, and just mentioning homework.

So... really its nothing to get worked up about, certainly not worth making yourself a nuisance parent and talking to teacher about. It was a bit misguided by the Garda, but no biggie.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Whenever figures of authority do classroom visits it's always a case of "...... and make sure you do your homework". The phrase is uttered by Mayors, Guards, sports people etc.

I doubt that the kids feel that if they don't do their homework then the mayor, the Guard or the prop-forward will be down at their house gunning for them.

Then again judging by the grammar and punctuation that seems to be prevalent it might be no harm if they did turn up at the house. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't worry. When I was that age, all the guards in the world couldn't have stopped me thinking that homework was just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It could be worse, it could be the local priest coming in and telling the children that he's like God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Two things worry me about this .

a) Why should a Guard/Police officer coming into the classroom be seen as a figure to fear ? At that age the police should be seen as people the children can approach/trust not fear. ( in fact at any age really in an ideal world )

b) The police coming to school should be seen as a really positive thing , I remember when I was that age ( a long time ago and maybe a different age ) the annual visit by the police was seen as a huge event we all looked forward to.

Was this visit prompted by anything , for example a traffic accident or was it scheduled / normal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

im disapointed that a teacher needs a guard to motivate her/his students. Poor teaching skill imho. There are so many other ways to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

'hey kids, do your homework from an early age or you could end up doing a shít job like me' :pac:
    micmclo wrote: »

I have had many jobs over the years and this job is by far the best. And no I am not stupid and I do have a degree.

• Advertisement

It was a joke, but as a matter of interest, what specific type of guard are you? if you're a regular rank and file guard i can't really see how it's the best job you've had. If you were a detective or fraud squad or something, well then that would be a very nice job indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

I saw the title of the thread and here I was thinking if I brought my son's homework up to the local garda station, they'd do it for him. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Gardai will only be seen as figures to fear/hate if they have heard similar at home. If it was a footballer/fireman/horsetrainer would you be up in arms? For heaven's sake, the teacher made an effort to introduce a bit of variety into the classroom, don't knock it..or would you prefer they spent all the time on workbooks and transcription.

Gardai will only be seen as figures to fear/hate if they have heard similar at home. If it was a footballer/fireman/horsetrainer would you be up in arms? For heaven's sake, the teacher made an effort to introduce a bit of variety into the classroom, don't knock it..or would you prefer they spent all the time on workbooks and transcription.
    Ill just reply to this one as it was the most stupid,the guard was brought into the class to warn the children to do there homework,or else they would get into trouble with the guards,not as some sort of entertainment for the kids,or to add a bit of variety to the class.Must i remind you that these kids are 7/8year olds,and they have and get plenty of variety whilst in class without have the shti scared out of them.And in 10yrs time they will wonder why the kids have no respect for the guards or probably the law either.Schooling and what goes on in the classroom is such a vital ingredient in shapeing the person for th future espically at such a impressional age.icon8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Ill just reply to this one as it was the most stupid,the guard was brought into the class to warn the children to do there homework,or else they would get into trouble with the guards,not as some sort of entertainment for the kids,or to add a bit of variety to the class

I think to call this post stupid was a little crass TBH, the poster was only posting the opinon you asked for.

Now , it seems a bit of strange thing to do to waste police time to bring them in to tell the kids to do homework. Are you sure you are getting the whole story here ? Was the Garda a girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife of the teacher or something , are you sure it wasn't the usual ' pep talk ' with the final bit thrown in as a tongue in cheek remark ?

I think in general a visit from the local police is a good thing , and should be encouraged ( seems to be the general opinion here too ). But if this officer really only told the kids to do their homework or be banged up or something equally stupid then this was a waste of police time , and Ill concived .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

It was a joke, but as a matter of interest, what specific type of guard are you? if you're a regular rank and file guard i can't really see how it's the best job you've had. If you were a detective or fraud squad or something, well then that would be a very nice job indeed.

Uniform member. My job is not all violence, taking abuse or scrapping people off the road after a collision. There is so much more to it that. I don;t want to take this topic off track but for me the good times far outweigh the bad ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Must i remind you that these kids are 7/8year olds,and they have and get plenty of variety whilst in class without have the shti scared out of them.

I know at 7 or 8 there's no way I'd have been scared of a cop saying do your homework or you'll get in trouble with the Gardai because I would have known that it was a lie.
    And in 10yrs time they will wonder why the kids have no respect for the guards or probably the law either.

Yeah - that's what'll happen. If your kids grow up having no respect for the law then the reason will be that one time a Guard came into the classroom and told your kid to do his/her homework.

There's a good chance that the cop came in to talk to the class and then of his own volition said 'oh and do your homework or you'll get in trouble with us'. He probably meant it as a joke but underestimated how wussy some of the kids were.

Did your child tell you what else the Guard was there for? I'm sure there's more to the story than what you heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My boys school has had the gardai with their jeeps, motorbikes etc in to the school and the pupils were given a chance to try on the stab vests, sit on the motor bikes, in the jeep etc. and have their photos taken.

Same with the fire service, they were allowed spray water, set off sirens etc, and also had the Irish Coastguard rescue helicopter out for a demonstration another day.

Anytime they've got someone in to visit the pupils they're normally advised to do their homework, be nice to their teachers and their parents etc.

The only time they get a night off homework is when the mayor or bishop visits the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I know at 7 or 8 there's no way I'd have been scared of a cop saying do your homework or you'll get in trouble with the Gardai because I would have known that it was a lie.

At around that age I had a teacher who was married to a Garda Sargent.
    She was forever threatening us that she would bring him in to deal with some matter or other. e.g. something missing or broken in the classroom.

I don't know if she succeeded in intimidating other kids, but I figured out pretty quick that she was simply a liar and a bully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Id understand him coming in about putting your seatbelt on or crossing the road safely or personnel safety, but for doing your homework!! Sounds a bit crazy. I always threaten mine with their seatbelts that if theyre not on ill bring them down to the police station.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement