Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards doing homework

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Redpunto wrote: »
    Id understand him coming in about putting your seatbelt on or crossing the road safely or personnel safety, but for doing your homework!! Sounds a bit crazy. I always threaten mine with their seatbelts that if theyre not on ill bring them down to the police station.

I seriously doubt that was the only reason the Guard was in the classroom. I suspect the OP's kid was a little scared by it and didn't tell any of the other stuff that the Guard might have said.

It's hardly an incident that's gonna leave a child scarred. I mean at 7 or 8 the should be a little more thick-skinned than that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

im disapointed that a teacher needs a guard to motivate her/his students. Poor teaching skill imho. There are so many other ways to do this.

Absolutely. A good canning always worked when I was in school. :eek:

Trouble is, the guard would need to be out of the way before you start baiting the kids about. :pac:

All joking aside, it all depends on the context. If the guard was just there visiting the school and made a bit of a joke with the kids about doing their homework, then fair enough. I don't really see the problem. If, on the other hand, the guard was brought in specifically to kind of scare the kids into doing their work, then that is a pretty stupid thing to do on a number of levels in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

PauloMN wrote: »
    Absolutely. A good canning always worked when I was in school. :eek:

Trouble is, the guard would need to be out of the way before you start baiting the kids about. :pac:

All joking aside, it all depends on the context. If the guard was just there visiting the school and made a bit of a joke with the kids about doing their homework, then fair enough. I don't really see the problem. If, on the other hand, the guard was brought in specifically to kind of scare the kids into doing their work, then that is a pretty stupid thing to do on a number of levels in my opinion.
    As allready stated i dont know how many times THE GUARDS WERE BROUGHT INTO THE CLASS TO WARN THE KIDS TO DO THERE HOMEWORK.I f you have a opinion on this fact and only this fact,please post,but if you have a opinion or a assumption on every other thing that comes in to your head there are other posts for these things..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

thetyreman wrote: »
    As allready stated i dont know how many times THE GUARDS WERE BROUGHT INTO THE CLASS TO WARN THE KIDS TO DO THERE HOMEWORK.I f you have a opinion on this fact and only this fact,please post,but if you have a opinion or a assumption on every other thing that comes in to your head there are other posts for these things..

I don't see what's wrong with my post. I thought it was a fair enough point. Just because someone might have a differing opinion to you doesn't mean you should post such aggressive replies, like you did above and also to the other post you regarded as "stupid".

Your postings are quite difficult to decipher to be honest so I'd suggest that you maybe read back through them. Maybe you'll see that you do not come across as clearly as you might think.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I don't see what's wrong with my post. I thought it was a fair enough point. Just because someone might have a differing opinion to you doesn't mean you should post such aggressive replies, like you did above and also to the other post you regarded as "stupid".

Your postings are quite difficult to decipher to be honest so I'd suggest that you maybe read back through them. Maybe you'll see that you do not come across as clearly as you might think.
    You see you said (if the guard was just there visiting and was just haveing a joke about the kids doing there homework)when i have all ready said that this wasnt the case,and in mine mind made it clear that it wasnt the case as my whole reason for posting it originally was to show that was why i didnt like it.I wouldnt have posted it at all if i had thought it had been a case of the guard thers anyway and was just haveing a laugh.Anyway this is geting too complicated now trying to explain,so if you cant see my point,we ll agree to disagree..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hmm. So now there was more than one (see the bit already helpfully highlighted in capitals). Next we'll have the whole ERU in there.....

@deisemum - the visit your kids had sounds great !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

[QUOTE=parsi;

@deisemum - the visit your kids had sounds great ![/QUOTE]

Each of the services gave safety advice but the helicopter landing next to the school was the most impressive and they got to see how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Did you get a note from the school, or any contact letting you know that there was a guard coming in to talk to the kids about homework???
    Were you there the day the guard came in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I seriously doubt that any guard would come into a school, even at the school's request, and tell 7 and 8 year old children that they had to do their homework.

Honesly focks think about it.

First and foremost it is not against the law of the land not to do your homework. If it was my darling son would be rightly banged up!!

The OP has recieved a mixed message somewhere along the line. We are perhaps being unfair as I get the impression that english is not thier first language, and perhaps this has led to their mix up?

But honestly its laughable the very idea that a Guard would do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is a garda out reach program atm with the community garda making thier presense known and trying to make themselves approachable by children. One such venture was the safe blanchardstown family day where kids could get to meet a range of garda from the cycle unit, the mounted unit, canine unit ect.

I very much doubt that the community garda came into to school for the sole purpose to 'scare' kids into doing thier homework.

If you have questions about why they were in your child's class room why not ask the teacher/prinicpal or ring the local station and ask to speak to the coommunity garda for the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Reading this over my shoulder to my OH (who is a garda), we both agree that this sounds a tad bit exagerated, no guard would agree to scaring children to do their homework. Guards are fighting to be respected and seen as the person there to help not a person who is to be feared!! The right and wrongs should be taught by the parents! I don't think this happened, maybe the guard was brought to talk about the safe cross code or something and then jokingly said ... Do yer homework!!!

She Devil wrote: »
    Reading this over my shoulder to my OH (who is a garda), we both agree that this sounds a tad bit exagerated, no guard would agree to scaring children to do their homework. Guards are fighting to be respected and seen as the person there to help not a person who is to be feared!! The right and wrongs should be taught by the parents! I don't think this happened, maybe the guard was brought to talk about the safe cross code or something and then jokingly said ... Do yer homework!!!
    OK, I made it all up,im sorry,(i sit up all night thinking of stupid lies to post on the boards,i have a problem and i need help ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

OK, I made it all up,im sorry,(i sit up all night thinking of stupid lies to post on the boards,i have a problem and i need help ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

If you troll this forum again you will be banned from it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement