Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fans sue hotel over GAA final.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

this is laughable. The Hilton were within their rights to show whatever they wanted.
    but as a hotel customer i would expect them to try and accomadate me as long as it didnt interfere with other guests.

some people's attitudes and oppinions are a little outdated and very biggoted. but this is AH.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Christ. What a sad sad story.

Having to choose between Gaelic and Soccer. When I go to hell (and I will), those are the options I'll have for eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mumhaabu wrote: »
    It was real bad form by the Hotel and that match was the biggest sporting event in the Island of Ireland in 2008 and is annually. It seems as if some bigot is in charge there and it was done deliberately to p1ss off the Catholic viewers of GAA there. Because I'd imagine it would not have been Hotel policy for sure, if it is then it represents a terrible business policy.

The hotel is in the U.K, so they probably don't give a sh*t about Bog-Ball or Schtick-Ball.

If both fools were so concerned, they should have been at the game instead of try watch it in a sterile, sh*t hole like the Hilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Stekelly wrote: »
    BTW the place in the article is in Britain.

Hi SteKelly. Well done on using the computer. I hope that the keyboard (the part with all the little letters) is not too confusing.
    Have you ever been to the seaside? That's where the sand is. It is fun to play with sand.
    Did you ever taste the water at the seaside? It is salty.
    That salty water goes alll the way around Ireland. And Belfast is in Ireland which is surrounded by salty water!!

Now you know!!! Isn't learning fun.

stovelid wrote: »
    The hotel is in the U.K, so they probably don't give a sh*t about Bog-Ball or Schtick-Ball.

If both fools were so concerned, they should have been at the game instead of try watch it in a sterile, sh*t hole like the Hilton.

WOW Stovelid. You are pretty cool calling people fools and saying bad words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hi SteKelly. Well done on using the computer. I hope that the keyboard (the part with all the little letters) is not too confusing.
    Have you ever been to the seaside? That's where the sand is. It is fun to play with sand.
    That salty water goes alll the way around Ireland. And Belfast is in Ireland which is surrounded by salty water!!

Your clever word play still doesn't change the fact it will be heard in a british court.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

seclachi wrote: »
    Id like to see his Lionel Hutz 20 squid an hour lawyer treat and beat the crack commando 10 man lawyer squad that the hilton no doubt has .

Their legal team could consist of just Paris and they would still win as the case would be thrown out for being stupid before anyone got to say anything. The only decsion to be made is how much to fine them for wasting the courts time.

Whenever I want to watch a match, Football, Rugby, whatever, I always think how nice it would be to go to my local sterile, prawn sandwich serving Hilton hotel. I would much rather that than my local, which will be filled with guinness drinking beer bellied people who will just get rowdy and shout encouragement or insult at the TV as required.

I mean, a global hotel chain is the obvious place for a passionate fan isn't it?

I go to the airport or sometimes to Brown Thomas. UP TYRONE!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

sam34 wrote: »
    thats because its not an international sport, its a national one. its uniquely irish.

Oh that it is alright

:)

Time for bed now. The grown-ups want to talk.
    Sangre wrote: »
    Your clever word play still doesn't change the fact it will be heard in a british court.

Did you quote the wrong post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Get back in the knife cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

There's something disturbing about how much you talk about salty water. :confused:

m@cc@ wrote: »
    There's something disturbing about how much you talk about salty water. :confused:

You're easily disturbed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I never expected this thread to go so downhill.

YOU'RE ALL IGNORANT *boggers/jackeens/westbrits/brits/proddies/catholics/paddys etc.* AND I AM STRONGLY IN FAVOUR OF WHATEVER IT IS YOU'RE AGAINST/HATE.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Must tell that to Tyrone people!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Must tell that to Tyrone people!

No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

It must break your heart that Dublin is not in the UK too huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

The hotel is in the U.K, so they probably don't give a sh*t about Bog-Ball or Schtick-Ball. .

you dont have to be so ignorant do you? oh sorry you do.:confused:

from my point of view I cant call myself the biggest GAA fan but I will support the county when I can. There was one time I was at a WalesVIreland rugby game in landsdowne with the family and headed into town to watch the highlights on TV and meet people after the game. The rugby highlights were first (watched these) and then on came a liverpool soccer game and alot of the group with me was interested in this also and we saw the 90 mins of it. After that there was a GAA match on TnG. A few of us were interested in this also, however the pub on dame st said no we are going to turn off the TVs. We asked could we watch it on a small tv in the corner (sound could be off). They said no and we left. I thought this was pretty shameful and I am not a big GAA man. Your ignorance is a clear display of this attitude which says more about you then anyone wanting to watch a decent game of sport whatever sport it may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I go to the airport or sometimes to Brown Thomas. UP TYRONE!!!

that's nice. I go to the airport sometimes as well, although i try and avoid grafton Street like the plague..UP POMPEY!!:D

dodgyme wrote: »
    A few of us were interested in this also, however the pub on dame st said no we are going to turn off the TVs. We asked could we watch it on a small tv in the corner (sound could be off). They said no and we left. I thought this was pretty shameful and I am not a big GAA man.

In fairness, you may as well have been asking for Fair City. It's their T.V, they can put on what they like. It doesn't make them less Irish.

In the North, there are all the other considerations to consider. Some places would rather not show GAA or SPL just in case. The premiership is probably a better bet for keeping punters happy across the board.

As for the 'county': after the Shamrock Rovers debacle in Tallaght, I'll never set foot inside a Dublin game again as long as I live.

• Advertisement

As for the 'county': after the Shamrock Rovers debacle in Tallaght, I'll never set foot inside a Dublin game again as long as I live.

Huh? What did the Dublin County team have to do with that?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Huh? What did the Dublin County team have to do with that?

Thomas Davis were not alone. Dublin County Board fully backed their action.

Thomas Davis were not alone. Dublin County Board fully backed their action.

And what has that got to do with the Dublin County team?

And what has that got to do with the Dublin County team?

They have a tenuous connection with the Dublin G.A.A, you know. :D

TD, with full support all the way up the ranks of Dublin G.A.A tried to put another sports club (with over a hundred years of history) out of business so ,I quote, that the youth of Tallaght (would not be) restricted to a diet of Association football. And squandered well over 400k in doing so. A 400k+ that I seriously doubt TD will be stumping up themselves.

So I won't be putting any money (or support) their way ever again, unless my boy wants to go to a game or play in the future.

On topic: The All-Ireland is a T.V programme. The owner of the T.V can do what he likes, no matter if people think they are being unpatriotic. The two lads are going to get hammered in court, as their moaning is politically biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

Ive mixed feelings about this one. To go to court on the grounds of not beng allowed watch a football match in a 5 star hotel seems a bit ridiculous. However for the hotel to descriminate against a sport that is culturally and traditionally linked with one religion while allowing other sports to be shown that are more associated with another religion is wrong in my opinion. If I was the General Manager of the Belfast Hilton I wouldnt like Gaelic Games to be shown in the hotel either, but I would never be tactless enough to declare as official hotel policy that "we don't show GAA matches".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

And I suppose you don't find it ever so slightly retarded and irrational to hold the actions of some tits on the Dublin County Board against Dublin GAA as a whole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

my interpretation of the story is that the hotel didnt have anything against the GAA match, it was that they had a premiership match on, which was being sponsored by the local food and drinks company.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

:D

TD, with full support all the way up the ranks of Dublin G.A.A tried to put another sports club (with over a hundred years of history) out of business so ,I quote, that the youth of Tallaght (would not be) restricted to a diet of Association football. And squandered well over 400k in doing so. A 400k+ that I seriously doubt TD will be stumping up themselves.

So I won't be putting any money (or support) their way ever again, unless my boy wants to go to a game or play in the future.

On topic: The All-Ireland is a T.V programme. The owner of the T.V can do what he likes, no matter if people think they are being unpatriotic. The two lads are going to get hammered in court, as their moaning is politically biased.

Tenuous indeed!

Maybe Rovers fans should look at why:

1. They are in Tallaght
    2. Why they couldn't build it themselves.
    3. Where did the Grant money go?

It's easier to blame the people that run Dublin GAA, not the people that ran Rovers into this mess!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

my interpretation of the story is that the hotel didnt have anything against the GAA match, it was that they had a premiership match on, which was being sponsored by the local food and drinks company

If thats their reason then thats totally fine, it is a business after all. However to declare as hotel policy, a blanket ban on showing all GAA matches while at the same time showing other sports is wrong.

Advertisement