Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car dinged have reg todo

Options
  • 04-10-2008 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

If I go to the Guards will they give me the details ?
    or
    what do they do ?

Story
    I only noticed it today, went into work and go the security guard to check the cameras.
    Caught your man, he hit it, reversed had a look, then drove off.
    I am so happy, can't wait to sort this out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Guards can be very slow with this kinda thing, cousins father was hit my a foriegn national, and since he was old (cousins father), the lad shouted at him, go back into his car and drove off. Had the reg and make of car, this was month ago nearly and nothing yet a thing has been done yet.

Best of luck anywho, hope you get the ****er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

Report it but you may need to chase the gaurds to get them to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

handbraker wrote: »
    Report it but you may need to chase the gaurds to get them to do something

+1

You'll have to keep pushing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If I go to the Guards will they give me the details ?
    or
    what do they do ?

Story
    I only noticed it today, went into work and go the security guard to check the cameras.
    Caught your man, he hit it, reversed had a look, then drove off.
    I am so happy, can't wait to sort this out

No, they won't give you the details ever. And if they do, then it could be a disciplinary meeting for the garda and rightly so.

Report it and most gardai will give you a card with their details but if they don't just ask for their name and rank.
    And yes.......chase them to follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

If you have the evidence on camera, can you get a copy of it. Get that to your insurance company. It should be a simple matter for them and they would be happy to avoid any lawyers. Insurance company to insurance company dealing. Guards very unlikely to be bothered as nobody hurt in this.

If insurance company is any way reluctant tell them you will be talking to a lawyer and can they cover the bills until it is settled by the second insurance company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

defintely report it and the sooner the better. CCTV may not be held for very long. Also make sure to get the name of the Garda you make the complaint to. It is probable the Garda will go to the driver and let him know he was caught on CCTV and to get it sorted with you without having to go to court. There is another option which will involve you making a statement and a statement being taken from the other driver and it going to court. The last option will take longer and maybe longer for you to get your compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can get the name and address of the registered owner from the Council for a small fee, provided you have a valid reason, which you do.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

esel wrote: »
    You can get the name and address of the registered owner from the Council for a small fee, provided you have a valid reason, which you do.

I'm not entirely happy with this.
    Some resident in a housing estate reckons you are taking his space when you park close the train station and he goes mad even if it is public road.
    He goes to the council, claims you hit him and now your name and address are given out.

Extreme example, very offtopic but worrying all the same.
    And yes, I realize it's easier to damage a commuters car during working hours then to go to the bother of getting someones name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

esel wrote: »

Heard of this before, never had a reason to use this facility myself. I think the fee is 5 euro thou.

Advertisement