Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time build

Options
  • 04-10-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey lads,

Thinking of doing my first build, I know it must get annoying people asking for help the whole time so I know there is probably a chance I will get no replies and/or replies from annoyed people.

I have a pc with case, monitor, keyboard,external dvd burner and 500 gig ide hard drive but the rest is banjacksed. I want to build a p.c as cheap as possible (at least under€300 if that is possible?). I don't play any games or anything just have a lot of media(>500 gigs) and like to do a bit of photoshop and multi-tasking.

My main problem is that I don't know what components are compatible with each other, I'm afraid i'll order stuff and put it together and it blows up or else not fit in my case?

The case has a power supply but I don't know if that will work with what I buy?

My priorities are 1)speed of processor 2)amount of ram 3)size of hd, in that order. like i said i don't play games so I don't think i even need a graphics or sound card, or do I?

I've looked on hardwareversand and all that happened was I got more confused.

Apologies again for being annoying, I just don't know how I'll ever figure it out if I don't ask for help!

Thanks in advance to anyone that might help me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

If you want to take the safe route..

go to www.ankerman-pc.com

and get this for 339 and add your 500 gig drive to it

Core 2 Quad Q6600
    4x 2,660 Ghz
    INTEL Model Q6600
    FSB 1066 | 8MB cache
    Intel GMA 3100 VGA Adapter 256MB
    2,00 GB DDR2 RAM PC800 KINGSTON (1x2GB Modul)
    Mainboard Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, G31 (dual PC2-6400U DDR2)
    500GB HardDisk 7200rpm / 32MB cache SATA-II MAXTOR
    Drive DVD±RW LG-GH20 LS15 (LG 20x DVD Writer Dual Layer)L
    8 Channel Audio Realtek ALC850
    DSL Ready 10/100/1000 Ethernet Giga.Bit -LAN
    52in1 Cardreader | Intel CPU cooler
    Ankermann Case ATX | 600W Power Supply

even add 2 more gigs of ram and postage and it comes to 400 euros

You could of course just buy separately..

q6600 quad core chip - 145
    motherboard - 50
    4 gigs of ram - 70
    750 gig hdd - 75

= over 300 anyway

But getting them into your existing case and everything working together could be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 _hybrid_

I was thinking of buying off them cuz they look very reasonable but I've read a few bad things on here, any opinions on the matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

_hybrid_ wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying off them cuz they look very reasonable but I've read a few bad things on here, any opinions on the matter?

The thread below should fill you in on ankermann
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055373287

It definitly turned me off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ubaroo

how much watt is the psu in your case?

Advertisement