Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exporting a UK import back in to the UK.....

Options
  • 04-10-2008 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I'm just wondering with all this doom and gloom around, is it possible if you have a UK import still on UK plates could you bring it back to the UK, or once it comes into Ireland is it deemed as permanently exported. If it is "permanently exported" if you were to bring it back into the UK how much would it cost to re register over there - I presume UK VRT rates are not as ludicrously high as ours. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭BSPOKE20

I think in order to get it back into the UK its MOT (UK NCT) would have to be done - If anyone can confirm...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

BSPOKE20 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering with all this doom and gloom around, is it possible if you have a UK import still on UK plates could you bring it back to the UK, or once it comes into Ireland is it deemed as permanently exported. If it is "permanently exported" if you were to bring it back into the UK how much would it cost to re register over there - I presume UK VRT rates are not as ludicrously high as ours. :D

Nothing I assume. Permanently exported Irish cars cost nothing to register once returned to the State. You only need to inform Revenue it's back and you can put the old plates straight back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

u might be lucky. It may not actually been recorded as exported from the UK. there department of transport should be able to clarify this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

If its still on UK plates then it hasn't been exported afaik. It would only be deemed exported if it was re-registered in another country.

Maybe try contacting the DVLA in the UK with the reg number and see what they say to you, they should be able to tell you if it has actually been exported or not.
    http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles.aspx

Also be very careful there as if you have been driving it and its not been taxed, they could try to fine you for either driving it untaxed or not declaring it SORN - Off the road.

Who is the car registered to? Have you got the Tax book for it? I presume if its on UK plates then its the UK log book which would suggest its still registered to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kamili wrote: »
    . It would only be deemed exported if it was re-registered in another country. .

Not true. It's irrelevant to them where its going and for what reason. All that happens is the last section of the V5 gets sent to them(this is what should happen, if not it stays registered) to say it's been permenantly exported. Nothing is sent to them when its registered here and they never no or care if it's registered anywhere.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Not true. It's irrelevant to them where its going and for what reason. All that happens is the last section of the V5 gets sent to them(this is what should happen, if not it stays registered) to say it's been permenantly exported. Nothing is sent to them when its registered here and they never no or care if it's registered anywhere.

Actually sorry I forgot that bit!
    do you not have to fill in the export form though when you do this on the V5?
    you should then be given the export certificate by the dvla which should be produced to whichever country you're bringing the car into.

best option I think would be to contact the DVLA and see what they say.
    I think from looking into this in the past, it was less than £100 to bring a car into the UK anyway... Could be wrong though!

Actually sorry I forgot that bit!
    do you not have to fill in the export form though when you do this on the V5?
    you should then be given the export certificate by the dvla which should be produced to whichever country you're bringing the car into.!

The seller in the uk just tears off the last part of the V5 (permenant export section) no details needed, he just sends that off to the DVLA. You keep the rest and thats all you need to give in VRO.

The seller in the uk just tears off the last part of the V5 (permenant export section) no details needed, he just sends that off to the DVLA. You keep the rest and thats all you need to give in VRO.

According to the DVLA the buyer should be supplied with a certificate of export if the car has actually been declared as being exported, they will no longer hold this part of the V5
    If you are taking your vehicle out of Great Britain permanently you must notify DVLA. If you have a registration document (V5) you can do this by completing section C to show the intended date of export. The V5 should then be returned to DVLA or to a DVLA local office. In its place you will receive a certificate of permanent export (V561) as confirmation of your vehicle's registration.
    If you have a registration certificate (V5C) then you must notify export on the purple section (V5C/4). You must take your registration certificate with you as you may have to hand it over to the relevant authority when the vehicle is registered abroad.

According to the DVLA the buyer should be supplied with a certificate of export if the car has actually been declared as being exported, they will no longer hold this part of the V5

Yeah dotn mind that. Thats the last thing you want to do. All that does is replace the V5 with a small form, but more significantly it delays you being able to do anything for weeks (whenever they get around to entering it on the system and sending out the form) they also wont send it to a foreign address so they will send it to the seller, which adds another link to the chain and delays it further while you wait for him to send it on.

If he just keeps the permanent export section and sends it to the dvla, you keep the rest of the V5 and present it to the VRO.

true, but isn't he trying to take it back into the UK?
    in which case he needs to do this...

an application for registration can be made at your nearest DVLA local office. There is no ‘over the counter’ service and the application takes between two to three working days. The following documents will need to be submitted to the DVLA local office, photocopies are not acceptable:
    • completed application form V55/4 (for new vehicles) or V55/5 (for used vehicles)
    • a £55 registration fee (if applicable) and the required fee for the vehicle tax (cheques or postal orders made payable to DVLA Swansea)
    • a current British certificate of insurance
    • foreign registration document and any other papers relating to the vehicle
    • evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected (normally the invoice from the supplier)
    • evidence of type approval
    • a current British MOT test certificate (if applicable)
    • the appropriate HM Revenue and Customs form
    • a 'Declaration that a vehicle is new' form V267 (if applicable) available for download or from a DVLA local office
    • documentation confirming your name and address (a list of acceptable identity documentation can be found on the link below)
    Registering and taxing the vehicle won’t take place unless you have the necessary documentation. In some cases the DVLA local office may wish to see the vehicle to check its identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

+1.

Kamili, you're mixing up the requirement for UK persons who are exporting the vehicle permanently to get an export cert. Or trade persons.

Privately bought and exported by the new buyer (e.g. Irish), don't do this. It says it on the V5 - seller fills in and sends off a portion, and buyer gets the actual V5 to go with the vehicle.

OP - so, yes, your vehicle has already been deemed exported by DVLA, whether it's re-reged anywhere else, or not. But it's easy to re-import to UK. There's no VRT, for a start....:rolleyes:

Yes, you'll need a new MOT - but maybe you have one already ? - and there's a paperwork fee, but that's it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement