Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preserving nutrition making soup?

• 04-10-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a big meat eater and not big on veggies at all.
    That said I love most soups and i think this could be a good way to get my daily veg intake in a way I can stomach.

I'm thinking of batch cooking a few soups , and then storing them in the freezer in single portions then nuking one a day in work as a break time snack.

Am I likely to loose most of the nutritional benefit this way or its a reasonable idea for a someone that's not a big veggie eater?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Having your veg in soup form is better than having no veg at all. If you keep the soup chunky, ie don't whizz it in the blender, you'll retain more fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

:( the whizzing is essential to me being able to eat the stuff , hopefully there is some benefit or should i forget the idea?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I dont understand blending getting rid of the fibre? how? If it was juicing on the other hand i would agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Blending fruits makes them more likely to affect your blood sugar levels, but blending vegetables should be grand. I think we can get too worked up about these things.

The most nutritious way to eat vegetables is raw. But if you can't manage that, blended soups are of course still nutritious! Some of the vitamins and minerals get destroyed by the cooking process, but anything lost to the water or oil they are cooked in is fine, as with soup you will be eating this anyway.

This is a good way to start getting veggies into you.

You know, there are lots of nice ways to eat veg - it doesn't have to be Mammy's boiled carrots with no life in them. What about a nice fresh corn salad for example?

Boil a few fresh corns-on-the-cob for 8 minutes til tender. Slice the corn kernels off with a sharp knife. Add finely chopped tomato, finely chopped red pepper, finely chopped cucumber, sliced scallions, lime juice, black pepper and fresh coriander. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Davei141 wrote: »
    I dont understand blending getting rid of the fibre? how? If it was juicing on the other hand i would agree.
    +1
    Chewing your food is the same idea as blenders, but you do not hear people warning against overchewing food leading to a loss in fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Davei141 wrote: »

Blending breaks down the fibre, it doesn't remove it. Chewing doesn't break the food up as much as a blender. Have you seen your food while it is being blended? That certainly doesn't happen in your mouth.

It's better for the digestive system to eat most of your veg in solid and sometimes raw form but if the OP can't stomach it, soup is ok.

Perhaps the OP should experiment with different veg. There is nothing more disgusting than overcooked broccoli and cauliflower. These days there is a huge range of veg to choose from. Have you tried roasted carrot, parsnip and sweet potato? Or lovely salads with creamy avocado, cucumber and tomato?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks guys, I was reading some recipies in work today and there are some out there that dont involve whizzing that look pretty good so will give them a try too.
    Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement