Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds Richest Club v Liverpool thread

• 04-10-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Squads -

Manchester City (from): Hart, Zabaleta, Richards, Dunne, Ben Haim, Garrido, Ball, Elano, Kompany, Ireland, Hamann, Fernandes, Petrov, Wright-Phillips, Robinho, Jo, Schmeichel, Evans, Sturridge, Glauber, Etuhu.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Hyypia, Skrtel, Aurelio, Dossena, Babel, Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso, Benayoun, Riera, Torres, Kuyt, Keane, Lucas, Cavalieri.

9th hosts 2nd. I'll let a City-head put out the likely home side selection/formation.

Rafa has a few choices to make, biggest of which revolves around Masch, does he break up Alonso/Gerrard in the centre of a 4-4-2? Ideally not, I don't perceive City as the kind of opposition to require the game breaking skills of the Monster - I see space that Alonsos passing range can exploit, with Keane and Torres starting (the latter took a knock but should be fit).

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra-Skrtle--Aurelio
    Kuyt----Gerrard-Alonso--Riera
    Torres-Keane

subs Cavalieri, Agger, Hyypia, Babel, Masch, Lucas, Benayoun

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Same team as the last few games -

Hart

Zabaleta---Dunne---Richards---Garrido

Kompany

Ireland
    Elano

---SWP
    Robinho---

Jo

Subs: Schmeichel, Ben Haim, Ball, Sturridge, Evans, Hamann, Fernandes (unless Petrov is back).

Handy 2-0 win for Pool, Keane to get his first Prem goal in red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Title had me thinking, 'we're not playing Chelsea....' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Handy 2-0 win for Pool, Keane to get his first Prem goal in red.

Jaysus, I am not too sure. A few goals are defo there for Liverpool but City will provide the Liverpool defence with as big a challenge as they will get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

DRAW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Boylesports have tenner in, 290 return for 2-1 Liverpool with Torres scoring the opener.

Worth 10 I reckon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

shane86 wrote: »
    Boylesports have tenner in, 290 return for 2-1 Liverpool with Torres scoring the opener.

Bloody right it is, will be having a piece of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PP are giving 67/1 for the same!

edit - Doh that for 2-1 not 1-2 :o

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »

Rafa has a few choices to make, biggest of which revolves around Masch, does he break up Alonso/Gerrard in the centre of a 4-4-2? Ideally not, I don't perceive City as the kind of opposition to require the game breaking skills of the Monster - I see space that Alonsos passing range can exploit, with Keane and Torres starting (the latter took a knock but should be fit).

Masch will definately start - did you not see how Wigan shut City down by not allowing them any time in the centre of the park? Cut off the supply their and it makes them a lot less dangerous as an attacking threat. It won't be game-breaking per se but it will be a case of stopping them getting on the ball and picking passes through to the front four. Also the fact that there will be two (maybe three) Brazilians in the City side will mean he'll be well up for it.:)

I think Dossena will also start after what I thought was a poor perfomance by Aurelio - I think he was largely culpable for the goal - he stood too far off the PSV attacker and let him get the ball into the box far too easily. I thought he was poor defensively throughout in terms of his positioning and after about 15 mins I thought if PSV were going to get a goal it was going to come from play down the right and so it proved.

I also thought Alonso only had an average game - didnt do anything special but did put in a decent shift. Also when Gerrard is played alongside him it seems Gerrard ends up as the more defensive midfielder of the two and ends up too far away from goal to be a danger, which seems to be a waste of Gerrard to me. If we are going to play 4-4-2 I think Masch would be a better option.

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra-Skrtle--Dossena
    Kuyt----Gerrard-Masch---Riera
    Torres-Keane

Subs: Cavailieri, Agger, Alonso, Lucas, Babel, Pennant, Ngog

I reckon a 3-0 win:)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I hope to God Alonso and Mascherano start, if Gerarrd starts in centre mid I think we'll be completely over run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra-Skrtle--Dossena
    Kuyt----Gerrard-Masch---Riera
    Torres-Keane

Subs: Cavailieri, Agger, Alonso, Lucas, Babel, Pennant, Ngog

I reckon a 3-0 win:)

So, if your slightly unlikely prediction comes true, do you have money on Benitez getting the sack after the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

City have scored 10 at home in 3 games, Liverpool been pretty solid at that back and havn't conceded on the road in the league.

Something has to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

nipplenuts wrote: »
    So, if your slightly unlikely prediction comes true, do you have money on Benitez getting the sack after the game?

That's 0-3 so smarty.

Even if it was 3-0 there would be no way Rafa would be getting the sack after the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This should be a cracking game.

Can't believe its not on the box:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SantryRed wrote: »
    This should be a cracking game.

Can't believe its not on the box:rolleyes:

Might be wrong but previous meetings have been quite poor, either 0-0 or 0-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Still better than Everton Newcastle in all fairness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SantryRed wrote: »
    Still better than Everton Newcastle in all fairness ;)

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Anyone know if any pubs in town are showing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Masch should start as he has played against Robinho many times and knows how to keep him quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've watched Mark Hughes for a couple of years and I think you will see a more defensive line up for this game after the way they the midfield was cut through in two recent games.
    Hart

Kompany----Hamann

Ireland

---SWP
    Robinho---

Jo

Subs: Schmeichel, Ben Haim, Ball, Sturridge, Evans, Elano, Fernandes

Tough game and City need to get back on track if they are going to be in position to challenge. Weirdly I see a very low scoring game. I'd imagine Gerard starts on the right side and Alonso comes back in for this game. Interesting game though but I see Liverpool winning comfortably if Hughes starts with the attacking line up that he has used in other games. Two defensive midfielders for City who would look to counter would seem a more sensible approach against the pool.

Reina

Arbeloa----Carra----Skrtle----Dossena

Mascherano

Gerrard
    Alonso
    Riera

Torres
    Keane

Subs: Cavailieri, Agger, Lucas, Babel, Pennant, Ngog, Kuyt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I would like it an awful lot if Liverpool won 4 - 0

Torres x 2, Babel X 1, Skrtel x 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

shane86 wrote: »

Bloody right it is, will be having a piece of that.

You guys just don't get sportsbetting.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've watched Mark Hughes for a couple of years and I think you will see a more defensive line up for this game after the way they the midfield was cut through in two recent games.
    Hart

Kompany----Hamann

Ireland

---SWP
    Robinho---

Jo

Subs: Schmeichel, Ben Haim, Ball, Sturridge, Evans, Elano, Fernandes

That team won't happen at home. It was used away to Sunderland because of their physical nature but at the COMS Elano will definitely start. Plus Hamann is too slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

2-2 draw, villa top by close of play

maybe

lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is a big game for us we need the 3 points.

I was just reading that Dunne maybe out for this one,is this true..?if it is its a big blow to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

City have been very pretty so far in the games I've watched them this year, lovely going forward, but not sharp enough in front of goal, with massive holes being left in midfield.

If only we had the pace to exploit that....oh wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Might be wrong but previous meetings have been quite poor, either 0-0 or 0-1.

This was originally the saturday game on Setanta. It was moved because of City in Europe, so no room for it in telly because others were already scheduled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Can't believe this game isn't on TV. I haven't had to watch a stream in yonks. Does anyone have any recommendations for today's game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Ardent wrote: »
    Can't believe this game isn't on TV. I haven't had to watch a stream in yonks. Does anyone have any recommendations for today's game?

Not yet, but there'll surely be something on justin.tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

i'd download tvuplayer if i was you, it will more than likely have the match on one of the channels and its a good stream and very reliable, i always use it for united matches that arent on telly.

yeah just checked there and its on the soccer channel on tvuplayer, just download and install tvuplayer

Use the ustream one. Requires no software and is the best quality around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool team for today: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Aurelio, Mascherano, Gerrard, Riera, Kuyt, Alonso, Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Agger, Keane, Benayoun, Babel, Lucas.

So Keane finally scores and gets dropped...:mad: Still no place for Babel in the starting team. Blah.

Reina

Arbeloa--Carragher--Skrtel--Aurelio

Alonso--Masch

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Reira

Torres

Or it could be a 4-4-2 with Gerrard on the right wing. Doubt that though.
    mike65 wrote: »

Will that link definitely be showing the game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

dropping keane after scoring...

the rafah madness continue's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Agreed. I was using it yesterday for Blackburn v United and it's perfect.

Though having said that I haven't found a ustream link for this game, do you have one?

I'll have one within the half hour hopefully when it comes online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

ntlbell wrote: »

Maybe not, your not going to drop Torres and we are away to city so the 5 men in midfield maybe the way to go

I'll have one within the half hour hopefully when it comes online.

For sure ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

someone had to go to bring the Masch back in. I would have dropped Kuyt, but we know Rafa's not gonna do that. I'm happy with that team

Tusky wrote: »
    For sure ?

http://www.ustream.tv/videoplayerpopup/channel/310759 *Big Picture High Quality*

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hd_sports_fans1 *Small Picture High Quality Same As Above*

Best I can do for now til the coverage starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ho hum.

Mike

• Advertisement

City: Hart, Zabaleta, Dunne (c), Richards, Garrido, Kompany, Ireland, Elano, Wright-Phillips, Robinho, Jo.

Subs: Schmeichel, Ben-Haim, Petrov, Fernandes, Hamann, Evans, Sturridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

dunne fit. whats the story with petrov?

is there a stream for this game

Read the thread

Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

someone had to go to bring the Masch back in. I would have dropped Kuyt, but we know Rafa's not gonna do that. I'm happy with that team

he doesn't _have_ to bring masch straight back in he has pretty much a midfielf who's performing well without him and scroing who are on form and performing well keane gets off the mark and he's dropped

keane will need a long run of games to try get some form

dropping him today is madness imo

http://www.ustream.tv/videoplayerpopup/channel/310759 *Big Picture High Quality*

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hd_sports_fans1 *Small Picture High Quality Same As Above*

Best I can do for now til the coverage starts
    City: Hart, Zabaleta, Dunne (c), Richards, Garrido, Kompany, Ireland, Elano, Wright-Phillips, Robinho, Jo.

Subs: Schmeichel, Ben-Haim, Petrov, Fernandes, Hamann, Evans, Sturridge.

Cheers...currently showing Sky Sports News yeah ?

Thats a fairly attacking team from City.

all i see is sky sports news

Oh come on...

Dropping a striker for an defensive midfielder in an away match against a team with one of most formidable attacking line ups in the league.. Complete MADNESS!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement