Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds Richest Club v Liverpool thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I think you're dumbing it down slightly as Srtels studs were right into Jo's back but fair enough, that's your opinion. I saw it as a high wreckless and potentially dangerous, just like Zabs.

We are never going to agree on it, in any event Skrtel got taken out of the game in any case (by himself).

I have a real problem with your suggestion that City lost because of bad refereeing. Liverpool were in the ascendancy anyway when the sending off occured, they had got their goal back and were cranking up the gears when City looked nothing like the team who played the latter 30 minutes of the first half.

I think it was a cracking match, Liverpool were good for their win, and your suggestion that the victory only came about because of cheating (you said City were 'ing cheated out of it) is way way harsh. It must be an incredibly difficult defeat to swallow, not least because of the nature of it (that being losing from 2-0 up), but I think if you watch the highlights again and watch some of Liverpool's quality throughout the match, you will see that there was no cheating involved in Liverpool's 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

This thread is farcical. It's like it's been overrun by hysterical 8 year old girls.
    +1 on that NBD.

Too true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

spockety wrote: »
    We are never going to agree on it, in any event Skrtel got taken out of the game in any case (by himself).

I have a real problem with your suggestion that City lost because of bad refereeing. Liverpool were in the ascendancy anyway when the sending off occured, they had got their goal back and were cranking up the gears when City looked nothing like the team who played the latter 30 minutes of the first half.

I think it was a cracking match, Liverpool were good for their win, and your suggestion that the victory only came about because of cheating (you said City were 'ing cheated out of it) is way way harsh. It must be an incredibly difficult defeat to swallow, not least because of the nature of it (that being losing from 2-0 up), but I think if you watch the highlights again and watch some of Liverpool's quality throughout the match, you will see that there was no cheating involved in Liverpool's 3 points.

Throughout the second half tbh

You did play well in that second 45, no doubt about it. Robinho's miss changed the game as much as the red card imo. That would have settled it. 'Typical City' were never going to hold on and unfortunately all us blues knew that.

My 'cheated out of it' comment was somewhat in the heat of the moment but was justified considering the crap officiating we were subjected to only last week. It may not have fully lost us the game but it sure as hell didn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Xavi6 wrote:

My 'cheated out of it' comment was somewhat in the heat of the moment but was justified considering the crap officiating we were subjected to only last week. It may not have fully lost us the game but it sure as hell didn't help.

Refs at the moment are making at least 1 big mistake per game. Its a joke and needs to be looked at very seriously.

Absolute definite penalty denied (again) and definately Some punishment for Skrtels challenge, be it yellow or red, i think everyone can agree it shouldn't have just been effectively ignored.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

You did play well in that second 45, no doubt about it. Robinho's miss changed the game as much as the red card imo. That would have settled it. 'Typical City' were never going to hold on and unfortunately all us blues knew that.

Well Liverpool were subjected to some of the same officiating this week too, Torres should have had a penalty when Dunne clearly made contact with his legs while running in the box.
    Liverpool also started the game well, they bossed the first 15 minutes I would say. City owned the next 30. The second half was a lot of toing and froing, but once Liverpool got the equaliser, the belief came with it, and they started to accelerate things.

Although not directly related to what you've been saying on this thread, you need to also appreciate that for Liverpool fans on here, we are faced from time to time with the same familiar users who pop up to have a bash. Benitez is rubbish, he doesn't understand the league, he has spent 10 billion pounds, he's a continental manager, he buys rubbish, he buys good players and leaves them on the bench, he will never win the league. They only appear when Liverpool are doing bad, and they appeared here today. They are not City fans, they are not Liverpool fans, but I think we all know who they are. A LOT of joy came for me personally and probably a lot of other Liverpool fans on here from reading some of the generalised and untrue rubbish they were spouting when it looked like Liverpool weren't going to get anything out of the game, only to see it completely turned on it's head after 90 minutes. They will now crawl back in their boxes, thank god, because if the result had stayed as it was, it would have been unbearable over on the "General discussion" thread for a few days while the usual reactionist and sensationalist drivel was spouted.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    Although not directly related to what you've been saying on this thread, you need to also appreciate that for Liverpool fans on here, we are faced from time to time with the same familiar users who pop up to have a bash. Benitez is rubbish, he doesn't understand the league, he has spent 10 billion pounds, he's a continental manager, he buys rubbish, he buys good players and leaves them on the bench, he will never win the league. They only appear when Liverpool are doing bad, and they appeared here today. They are not City fans, they are not Liverpool fans, but I think we all know who they are.

While there are some valid points there, I won't be playing my small little violin for any Liverpool fans. It's bad enough being a minority on here (in fact, the only actual City fan present today) without being at times blatantly trolled out of it by the little Liverpool clique that is most certainly evident on the forum. Sometimes I don't think fans of United/Pool give much respect to the one or two people who have to fight the small corner in games like this. It's very easy to fire off comments when you've got 20 other like minded individuals to thank your post.

Not all bad apples by any means but there are a few dragging the rest down.
    A LOT of joy came for me personally and probably a lot of other Liverpool fans on here from reading some of the generalised and untrue rubbish they were spouting when it looked like Liverpool weren't going to get anything out of the game, only to see it completely turned on it's head after 90 minutes. They will now crawl back in their boxes, thank god, because if the result had stayed as it was, it would have been unbearable over on the "General discussion" thread for a few days while the usual reactionist and sensationalist drivel was spouted.

There were also a few of your own crawling out of the woodwork too as the game swung tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Plenty of perspective.

We were 2 up against a team that consisted of Aurelio and Kuyt and couldn't finish the job. Ridiculous on our part.

However, to laud Liverpool's comeback as some sort of Istanbul revisited is ridiculous.

At least Keane didn't score I suppose.

Ah come on dude!!!

City done extrememly well in the first half but all that distinguished both sides were some sloppy defending and an excellent free kick.

I genuinely didn't think that Liverpool would get back into it unless City tired significantly. Unfortunately for City though, they done just that.

I am not gonna say that Liverpool deserved the win but they did miss a sitter and should have been given a penalty.

Anyway, as a Liverpool fan, I am obviously delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Fair play to Liverpool, thats an excellent comeback and is definitely the sort of character needed if they're gonna push on and put in a title challenge.

I really think you are getting way ahead of yourself and will probably realise this tomorrow. City were the better team in the first half but only by a small amount. Both teams created a similarish amount of chances, had the same amount of attempts on target and both missed sitters. Liverpool had the more possession but were less direct than City. City to their credit, were extremely direct and pressured Liverpool in a way that Liverpool would normally do to the opposition. In the end, City capitalised on a forced defensive error and a good free kick. At half time, I was unhappy to be 2 nil down but 1 nil down would have been fair enough.

Unfortunately for City, they weren't able to maintain the pressing as they got tired. I am inclined to think that Hughes should have made some changes to either sure or freshin things up. Liverpool put City under an immense amount of pressure and were eventually able to capitalise. They should have had an penalty early on but it wasn't to be. Liverpool created their own luck up to it being 2 - 2.

From the stream, the tackle on Alonso looked pretty bad and seemed to warrant the red card. I didn't see this Skrtel tackle as my stream went tits up for a few mins. Between Torres missing the sitter and then Kuyt getting the winner when it was 10v10, I don't think it is right to say that City were robbed. To say that they were unfortunate is one thing but anything more is way OTT.

A draw would have been a fair result but neither side could feel to disgruntled if they lost. In the end, Liverpool fans have a right to be thrilled with the result as they came from 2 behind.

Can we drop the bitter ****?

There were also a few of your own crawling out of the woodwork too as the game swung tbh.

Rightly so too..

I dislike gloating but when some dickhead is doing his best to get reactions by spouting complete bull**** persistently for 2 years.

Look at ntlbell's posts throughout this thread. The slating of Rafa's choices. The slating of Kuyt and plenty more.

Even though he was proven completely wrong, he still keeps posting complete bull**** amd ignores every knock back.

These sort of people deserve to have absolutely everything rubbed in their face.

Liverpool fans in particular are used to this nonsense. The match didn't remind me of Istanbul but this thread certainly reminded me of that match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Massive result. Haven't seen any of the action yet so I will wait but the fullbacks were being castrated on SSN again (Im aware Arbeloa set up the first Torres goal btw).

This is 3 points we would not have got last season for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Rightly so too..

I dislike gloating but when some dickhead is doing his best to get reactions by spouting complete bull**** persistently for 2 years.

Look at ntlbell's posts throughout this thread. The slating of Rafa's choices. The slating of Kuyt and plenty more.

Even though he was proven completely wrong, he still keeps posting complete bull**** amd ignores every knock back.

These sort of people deserve to have absolutely everything rubbed in their face.

Liverpool fans in particular are used to this nonsense. The match didn't remind me of Istanbul but this thread certainly reminded me of that match.

Man, seriously, get off the stage.

Pundits,liverpool fans/football fans for the last few years have been bemused by rafa's formations/team selections, I was saying nothing new today I was just really suprised that over the last few years he seems to have learned no lessons from his past mistakes

how have i been proved wrong? I said dropping keane today probably won't affect the match today but it *I* think it will have an affect in the long run.

I was never proved wrong as we won't know untill the 38 games have been played.

Yes liverpool got the result today and yes they did play very well in the second half

But just blowing off my opinion because you scraped out the result as me spouting sh|te is nonsense talk.

I don't support the pool and i cheered them on in instanbul only to have it thrown back in my face a week later so don't give me that crap

you very rarley see posts from me slamming the pool

when i have something to say i say it and my main point today was i felt lessons have not been learned by rafa.

plenty of people here today thought it was a mistake pool fans I know personally feel it was a mistake so saying i'm talking nonsense is redic.

points i made

rafa dropping keane is a mistake and it was win lose or draw.

kyut is a joke of a player. goal today or not.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Man, seriously, get off the stage.

Pundits,liverpool fans/football fans for the last few years have been bemused by rafa's formations/team selections, I was saying nothing new today I was just really suprised that over the last few years he seems to have learned no lessons from his past mistakes

how have i been proved wrong? I said dropping keane today probably won't affect the match today but it *I* think it will have an affect in the long run.

I was never proved wrong as we won't know untill the 38 games have been played.

Yes liverpool got the result today and yes they did play very well in the second half

But just blowing off my opinion because you scraped out the result as me spouting sh|te is nonsense talk.

I don't support the pool and i cheered them on in instanbul only to have it thrown back in my face a week later so don't give me that crap

you very rarley see posts from me slamming the pool

when i have something to say i say it and my main point today was i felt lessons have not been learned by rafa.

plenty of people here today thought it was a mistake pool fans I know personally feel it was a mistake so saying i'm talking nonsense is redic.

points i made

rafa dropping keane is a mistake and it was win lose or draw.

kyut is a joke of a player. goal today or not.

I am not even going to read this post but your initial posts on this thread were sensationalist and fall into line with the bul**** that Sky and RTE pundits come out with on a regular basis.

You were then dismissed as basically an idiot and instead of shutting up, you jumped on the fact that it appeared that Liverpool were going to loose and kept posting pety and childish comments throughout the match and even though Liverpool ended up with a well earned victory, continued to post even more crap.

Now that you have obviously backed your childish petty little self into a corner, you will no doubt continue with the nonsense and attempt to defend yourself.

I will leave it at this. You are an sesationalist fool who subscribes to everything that Eamonn Dunphy has to say. You do not have the slightest idea what you are talking about when it comes to football, nevermind Liverpool football club and Rafa Benitez.

Respond whatever way you feel fit but do so knowing that you are on my ignore list. The one and only person on it too so congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RasTa wrote: »
    What's up with agger anyway? He dropped or injured? Was he dropped as soon as Skrtel came in? i.e is he a liability

Agger is twice the "footballing" defender Skrtle is (or Carra or Hyypia), so its no loss except that cover options are now more limited.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

mike65 wrote: »
    Agger is twice the "footballing" defender Skrtle is (or Carra or Hyypia), so its no loss except that cover options are now more limited.

Mike

In terms of bringing the ball out of defence and all-around footballing technique, I'd agree with you. In terms of purely defensive ability, I'm not so sure.

I think Skrtel will be a loss, he was in great form for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jesus, that's nasty looking on Skrtel. horrible injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Torres Keane work together again to set up the winner. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Just saw the highlights...we scored from a corner :eek:

Taken by Gerrard! :eek: :eek:

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

To start with, I´m thrilled with´the win today. In all fairness, to come back from 2-0 down to win the match is something I haven´t seen liverpool do for a long time. Did we deserve it though seems to be the topic of debate though. Zabelata sent off, Skrtle on the pitch after injuring Jo and Robinho missing a sitter, countered by no penalty for the foul on Kuyt, Torres, (and Kuyt) missing a sitter. Well this is what football is all about. It´s what makes it great to watch. The simple fact that a professional footballer in front of goal with nothing blocking him from scoring but air.................. and then he misses!! I suppose that´s why we watch it.
    In this match I personally believe we deserved the win because we scored the most goals. Liverpool did not play Man City off the pitch and neither was it vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Daemonic wrote: »

Mike

I was watching the match with a friend when Gerrard was taking the corner.
    Just as he was about to strike it, my friend said, "Why does he always have to take them".

Then he flights in a perfect ball, Torres buries it, and the two of us leap up screaming "THAT'S WHY!!!!!" at the exact same time!

:D:D:D

Daemonic wrote: »

Mike

Not surprising at all. We can't defend corners. See midweek against Omonia for the most recent example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not surprising at all. We can't defend corners. See midweek against Omonia for the most recent example.

normally for us with corners the other teams defence doesn't matter a damn. Usually Gerrard just picks out the first defender and cannons the ball off him as hard as he can. I'm thinking its on purpose, that its like a bet in the dressing room or something, cause he's just so consistent at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

different attitude from liverpool yesterday than in previous seasons, being 2 down we didnt panic and when we got level we pushed on instead of settling for a point.
    very good second half performance. Skyrtle is a big loss but thankfully its a position we have excellent cover in.

As for those Kuyt bashers, he scores very important goals and although he did miss a sitter earlier i though he was brilliant. Riera alonso torres and gerrard were also very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Delighted with the win but more importantly...
    How fucking dare you.
    ...post of the year right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Robinho's miss changed the game as much as the red card imo.

Robinhos miss that was offside by about 2 yards? i can only presume he would have been flagged if it was a goal, if not, that decision would have been 10 times worse than any red card/yellow card debate.

Also funny that you note Robinhos miss as being so vital,when as pointed out above, he was offside, and second of all, wat about Kuyts miss in the first half? or Torres in the second?

City were marginally better in the first half, not 2 goals better.
    We were the far better team in the second half and thoroughly deserved our win.

Funny reading back through this whole thread this morning, Rafa and Kuyt knockers out in abundance, but quickly disappear as the second half rolls on.

Also worth noting, i actually thought that Keane would be rested for this game now that he has scored his first goal and said as much over my Sunday lunch with the clan yesterday. He has played every game this season so far afaik, he was due a rest which couldnt really be done until he scored. He wasnt "dropped" or anything like that, Rafa just went with a more balanced side that was used to playing with eachother.

Rafa played this one spot on in my opinion. Great result, and another 2 points that were dropped last season are gained.

Xavi mate, unlucky...thems the breaks, maybe ye should have bought Riera instead of Robinho? ;)

Al, all I can say is thank christ you weren't online yesterday or I'd have been site banned! :pac:

go on, admit it, Riera looks an excellent buy........ :)

plus, i'm never online around match times, so dont worry about it. You were talking some nonsense though, as were some Liverpool fans.

Mostly heat of the moment stuff on my part. Hard when shit like that is goin down and there's not a single other blue in sight to vent with.

• Advertisement

ah i know dude, dont worry about it. cracking game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Interesting to note that the two newspapers I read this morning had no mention of the injustice of Skrtel still being on the field to injure himself. His tackle on Jo didn’t feature in the highlights of the match on tv last night either. I wonder why???

Aurellio had a bit of a shocker so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him benched for Wigan game. Wigan have dangerous wide men, and I think it’d do him no good to be cleaned out two weeks running. Must remember though, he was up against SWP who is probably the form wide-man in the league.
    I wonder would Rafa ever consider Carra at RB and Arbeloa at LB when up against very dangerous attacking teams?? Would have worked better with Shrtel and Agger at CB I think.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ibh wrote: »
    Interesting to note that the two newspapers I read this morning had no mention of the injustice of Skrtel still being on the field to injure himself. His tackle on Jo didn’t feature in the highlights of the match on tv last night either. I wonder why???

It was the extended highlights on football first, it was maybe a yellow, but that at most.

He did a weird jump for a header with his foot up like a goalkeeper protecting himself. Jo jumped at the same time and basically into the outstretched foot of Skrtel. Commentary was that the foot was a bit high but that the movement was from Jo into the foot.

Neither of them ever looked anywhere but at the ball coming in.

Mostly heat of the moment stuff on my part. Hard when shit like that is goin down and there's not a single other blue in sight to vent with.

I am glad you have admitted it. I know that comment is going to make you regret admitting it but my intention is not anything like it appears.

I would have burned down the data centre that boards is hosted in if what happened yesterday, happened to Liverpool..

I am pretty confident that it was to do with it being no where near as big a deal as it was made out to be on this thread.

It was a bit renegade but it wasn't a red card by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because he gives 110% effort and when he scores it matters.

Lloyd, 100% is the most anyone can possibly give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Just confirmed Skrtel has damaged his posterior cruciate ligament so lengthy time out looks on cards :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

The-Rigger wrote: »

That exact retort cost me my place in my Gaelic team once. Manager was getting revved up in the dressing room until I corrected him. He changed me from starting to sub and hated me ever since.

Anyone who thinks that Skrtel's challenge was a red, is kidding themselves.

Zabaleta dived in, studds showing, in atwo footed challenge, and cought Alonso with his lading leg.
    It was every bit as bad as the challenge that nearly ended Eduardos career, only Xabi didn't have the same weight on his leg.

Skrtel went in with a high leg, while going for the ball.
    Definate yellow for dangerous conduct IMO, but never a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Aurellio had a bit of a shocker so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him benched for Wigan game. Wigan have dangerous wide men, and I think it’d do him no good to be cleaned out two weeks running. Must remember though, he was up against SWP who is probably the form wide-man in the league.
    I wonder would Rafa ever consider Carra at RB and Arbeloa at LB when up against very dangerous attacking teams?? Would have worked better with Shrtel and Agger at CB I think.

BBC showed the tackle in their highlights too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I'd just like to say I didn't see the Skrtle 'red card' challenge :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

it would have been a very harsh red card. but a fair yellow.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Funny reading back through this whole thread this morning, Rafa and Kuyt knockers out in abundance, but quickly disappear as the second half rolls on.

You won't find me disappearing. I'm not a Rafa knocker per se, I'm just adament we won't win the league with Kuyt as a regular starter. He was appalling again yesterday - tap-in at the end aside. We got out of jail again due to the brilliance of Torres.

did you watch the full match? i dont think Kuyt was appalling. it depends wat you expect of him really. I thought he had a very good second half.

It was the same old rubbish from him. Give him the ball on the right and he takes two touches to control it and every time - EVERY TIME - he turns inside and passes it backwards. Contrast that to the excellent work Riera was doing on the other flank where he was tormenting Zebeleta and was a constant source of dangerous crosses. Kuyt unbalances the team so much it's not funny. Also, that miss early on was laughable and so so typical of the guy.

Torres missed a total sitter (worse than Kuyts in my view) and Kuyt scored the winner, there you go and its why foortball is mad Ted. Riera is a winger Kuyt is not so you get that gap in technique, Rafa plays Kuyt for other reasons.

Mike

Those reasons will not win us the league. Mark my words.

werent you pretty sure we were done for yesterday against City too Mr Ardent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The-Rigger wrote: »

Thanks Paul - noted.

I was convinced of it. I thought our fullbacks were shocking defensively and Kuyt was inept as usual. Torres was the difference between the two teams yesterday but we can't rely on him to rescue us every game.

Ardent wrote: »
    I was convinced of it. I thought our fullbacks were shocking defensively and Kuyt was inept as usual. Torres was the difference between the two teams yesterday but we can't rely on him to rescue us every game.

I never once doubted that we were gonna win.

At half time, Iwent out to get food.
    A guy in the street asked me what the score was, cause I had the jersey on.
    when I told him 2-0, he was pissed, but I just told him not to worry, we'd win it.

We were the better team.

I knew we'd win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement