Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do NTL/UPC throttle Usenet traffic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

www.opensuse.org

4 options

1 32bit
    2 Live Cd
    3 Standard http or FTP
    4 Live Gnome(its a download mirror)

4Gb file on 20Mb through a linux server,
    You should be getting 2.5MB on a 20Mb connection if you have a full DL speed...Anything less than 1.8Mb is a problem...Please direct connect when trying and dont post results done through a router...

You are checking the transfer rate on the file...Leave it DL for about 2mins before checking rate and cancel download after testing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

heh? what's that got to do with usenet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

working fine for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

interesting...

i have to give that sabanazzedd program a go.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I've always got upwards of 2.3MBs on mine too. UPC Cork. Dutch Server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I know I can't prove any thing ins this regard but I have some suspicions. I think they auto throttle people if they've had a lot of activity over a short period. I usually don't do much downloading except when I buy games over steam etc. I usually notice my speed going down after downloading a new game for a few days.
    For example, I bought a game on Thursday night over Gamersgate. It was an 8GB download and I left it running through the night. My connection speed has dropped considerably since then over the last 2 days on a 20mb line. I've had a lot of connection timeouts on many websites.

Of course, it could be argued that because it's a long weekend, more people are online bringing down the total speed.

Even if they were to throttle connections its stated in their terms and conditions that they reserve the right to do so at any stage if they deem its needed. Seems harsh but it was part of their conditions openly available to read to any potential customers.

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/

paragraph 23.1 reads...

INTERNET SERVICES TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    23. Internet Services
    23.1 We reserve the right to monitor and control data volume and/or types of traffic
    transmitted via the Internet Services as well as monitoring the Services for abuse or
    breach under the Agreement or User Policy. We reserve the right to restrict access to
    the Services and to impose data traffic restrictions at our discretion, in order to
    implement new facilities, allow data retrieval and maintain Service levels. You expressly
    accept that any such actions on our part may affect the quality and availability of the
    Internet Services.

As I said, seems harsh but its what you signed on the dotted line to agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Just wondering whether any one else is experiencing low speeds with Astraweb recently?

I am wondering whether UPC have started throttling Usenet / Astraweb traffic as the download normally starts at around 1000k per sec and then reduces to around 400k per sec...

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

No, I'm getting 2 MB/s most hours. Maybe slowing to 1.3 or 1.4 in the evenings.

nickhx wrote: »
    Just wondering whether any one else is experiencing low speeds with Astraweb recently?

I am wondering whether UPC have started throttling Usenet / Astraweb traffic as the download normally starts at around 1000k per sec and then reduces to around 400k per sec...

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Cheers

Fine here also, i believe Astraweb have been having a few problems of late, im getting a few missing filles here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Make sure you're using the SSL connection aswell. I'm generally always getting 2MB/s except in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Which server are you using? I'm using ssl-eu.astraweb.com tonight and only getting 200k download speed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 aidodo

I was getting 1 Mbs with UPC/Astraweb up until about 2 weeks ago and am only less than 200k usually.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I'm still getting a solid 2.3 all day every day with my usenet provider, Cork City.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Still haven't moved into my new place yet but I was downloading off astraweb at over 2MBps. Doesn't seem like they are.

Still maxing out my connection here most times (EU Astraweb server). I just hope they don't start throttling when/if the torrent kiddies fleeing from TPB and Mininova climb on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Only scanned through the thread, so his may have already been mentioned, but anyone who finds their bandwidth is too low who is on a wireless connection should first make sure the bottleneck isn't their wireless link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Was getting 13.4 megabytes / second on Astraweb with 8 concurrent connections with UPC Netherlands.

Getting around 3.7 megabytes /second since i've gone back down to 30mbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

You're obviously not in Ireland then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Having been using Astraweb with UPC/NTL 10mb service for the last year so, however for the last day or so I'm only getting pretty crap speeds (around 150-200kbs intermittently). Each article is downloading very slowly in little bursts....

Before I could max out the connection.

Anyone have trouble downloading from Astraweb this weekend?

Nope, downloaded about 2 GB in 10 minutes this morning.:confused: Though I am on the 20 Mb package from upc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 aidodo

Astraweb is the problem here not UPC. I was having problems so I changed news providers and getting getting over 1Mbs again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I'm on NTl 20mb connection and signed up to Astraweb since March and always get my full connection if not more all of the time but over the weekend speeds have slowed to a crawl for me maybe 100-300 kbs. Just trying now and speeds are still crap, wonder what my problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Everything seems to be back to normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

Why use usenet when there's Megaupload, Rapidshare ect and programs like Jdownloader to automate your downloads.

Not sure if I can mention here the main sites for downloading here?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bob123456 wrote: »
    Why use usenet when there's Megaupload, Rapidshare ect and programs like Jdownloader to automate your downloads.

Not sure if I can mention here the main sites for downloading here?

No download limit when usenet plus there are programs that automate your downloads with usenet. I can also get my pc at home to download from usenet from anywhere in the world as long as I have an internet connection. Even from my phone which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Bu11et_Proof

Have to say Usenet is great, I'm on 20mb UPC highest I've gone to was 28mb one day. I'm with astraweb unlimited, leave my popcorn box on 24/7 and it takes care of everything unraring, repairing, the lot.

1 million times better than rapidshare and anything I've come across in my years online. Mainly use NZBmatrix, nzbindex.nl, filesharingtalk to search for my NZB's

The odd time there is slowness but I find this is sometimes down to the age of the file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

No download limit when usenet plus there are programs that automate your downloads with usenet. I can also get my pc at home to download from usenet from anywhere in the world as long as I have an internet connection. Even from my phone which is nice.

sorry for digging this up - but curious as to how you do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

sorry to dig up an old thread but having the same issue as described in the op

basically i ve always been getting top speeds from astraweb

i am on the 120 mb

but for the last 2 nights i have been going as fast as a 2 mb

as far as a speedtest reveals, there are no issues there so either its

1 a problem with astraweb or

2 upc limiting my speed with astraweb only

anyone has any idea?

It is looking like a distinct possibility. Same here - getting less than 1 Mb/s speeds over the weekend and today. Speedtests confirm my 100 Mb/s line is performing OK.

Its also covered in this thread http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056899120/1#post83585201

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Do you get max download speed with a download manager?
    I use www.freedownloadmanager.org with Easynews and generally max out all the time on 8mb.

Advertisement