Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jackass Driving

Options
  • 04-10-2008 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

I'm sure we've all had our experiences of RIDICULOUSLY bad driving but after an incident yesterday i had to post. Came to the junction at the Terenure side of Templeogue Village from Rathfarnham, green light and the car i'm in as a passenger is going straight through. Another car, a 4x4 is coming from the opposite direction and signaling to our left, their right. They passed the white line and obviously we expected them to yield to our right of way but they didn't, just kept coming despite the car being about 20 feet away from them! Ended up swerving and braking to avoid them into the oncoming traffic lane (thankfully there wasn't any traffic) and onto the island dividing the lanes. The 4x4 didn't even slow down or stop at all! Absolutely fuming we were! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

yep it's annoying alright.

last night on the loughlinstown roundabout I was going straight through on the N11. I was doing about 60 kph and already on the roundabout when a guy drove straight across my bow from the first entrance. I slammed on the brakes and gave him the old head-shake. I wasn't even in the left lane, was weird. I can only assume he was drunk or drugged up.

OP, just a note - my instant first reaction is always to get on the brakes as soon as possible - simply to avoid situations like you mentioned of having to veer into oncoming traffic. I know, easier said than done sometimes! So many loons about like you've come across!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Come across a few alright, the driver did brake-i'll edit that now. But he had to swerve with the few feet between us we would have had a bad crash. The 4x4 didn't stop, slow down or anything just saw us had a frightened face and kept trotting along.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

that's because he was in a 4x4! evidently he can do anything! jerks...!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Exact same thing happened me a few weeks ago, except we were both going the same direction, I was turning left, him right - I beeped at him and the @sshole flipped me the birdie.
    Black 04 C, x5 - I haven't forgotten about you :evil:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think dublin drivers (not all of them mind!) are the most rude, discourteous people on the face of this planet.
    I had one randomer get out of his car and proceed to scream at me through the window because I didn't let him out onto the road where I quite obviously had right of way. I was on the road and he had pulled out, blocking traffic and expected me to get out of his way, nearly took the side off my car!!! I think he was just jealous, cos me, being a female, drives a flashier sportier car than him. I was rather frightened by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I feel your pain.........I drive the 40 foot artics for a major supermarket. I get to meet all types of bad drivers every day. I don't think they realise how much damage I can do, especially fully laden! I've been undertaken on the hard shoulder, I've had people try a undertake me while I'm turning left.............the list goes on and on.

The driving in this country is shocking!

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I feel your pain.........I drive the 40 foot artics for a major supermarket. I get to meet all types of bad drivers every day. I don't think they realise how much damage I can do, especially fully laden! I've been undertaken on the hard shoulder, I've had people try a undertake me while I'm turning left.............the list goes on and on.

The driving in this country is shocking!

I so much want to learn to drive one of them!!! (seriously)

Having lived in the UK too drivers there are so polite, its lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Its crazy how anyone can out themselves behind the wheel driving like that. Do people get into cars thinking of them as penis extensions or do they realise the damage they can do? Coming out of smithfield heading towards finglas a few weeks ago there were 2 lanes becoming one, traffic wasn't really heavy and cars were just slowing down going in order. A van driver undertakes about 6 cars at 50/60k and just turns into the lane without signalling, forcing another car into the oncoming traffic lane, then just speeds off again!

Also a pet peev of mine is when people use the right lane on the motorway for normal driving ir not overtaking when theres no traffic at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

I know its been said before but irish drivers are becoming more and more impatient and unbelievably dangerous! I find that at night they become downright unreal! For Example Friday night just gone i was driving home from work around 7.30pm from limerick to cork before you come to rourkes x. There are double white lines and a very bad bend in the road. The car two cars behind me proceeded to pass those cars out and pull in in front of me (narrowly missing my car) and before he had even straightened up he was off again heading straight into a row of traffic.... we narrowly avoided a major pile up as we all slammed on our breaks! it annoys me so much when people like that endanger everyone lives just because they are in a hurry!! :mad:

I also agree about the idiots who use the right hand lane of the dual carraigeway for normal driving instead of the left hand lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I was coming up to a roundabout with two lanes on approaching, I was in the left lane with a 40ft truck nosed slightly in front of me (at most a car length) in the right lane. The ****er decided to drift across lanes just at a bus stop before the roundabout. I'm thankfull that there was no bystanders at the bus stop as it could have turned very ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

There has been many a time that i have been nearly wiped out by trucks at roundabouts they have no regard what so ever for drivers! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There has been many a time that i have been nearly wiped out by trucks at roundabouts they have no regard what so ever for drivers! :eek:

I think most drivers don't appreciate how much extra room a truck needs to negotiate a roundabout.

I also have formed the opinion that Irish drivers are no worse, or better, than anyone else. UK drivers, so often touted on these boards as the standard to which we must aspire, are just as ignorant and brutish as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I also have formed the opinion that Irish drivers are no worse, or better, than anyone else. UK drivers, so often touted on these boards as the standard to which we must aspire, are just as ignorant and brutish as we are.
    I dunno, nipplenuts. Have you driven on any of the 6 lane sections of the M50 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yesterday I was on the Outer Ring Road heading from the Penny Hill back towards Lucan. A tool in a white souped up banger decided to sit in the bus lane all the way up to the traffic lights at the crossroads with Ballyowen Road. I and a couple of cars ahead of me were comfortably doing nearly 100kmph yet tosser in the white car insists of undertaking us about 200m from the junction and then insisting on putting two wheels up on the island to pass another car to get into the right hand turn lane. I think he gained about 5 seconds by doing all this. :rolleyes:

I hope he wraps his car around a big tree in a dark lane some night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Spootie

Thing that never ceases to amaze me is some drivers need to pull out wide when they are turning left. I was behind a woman today coming up to a set of lights. She put on her indicators to turn left and got into left hand lane. I was going straight so stayed right. Next thing she pulled out right in front of me to take her turn totally oblivious of my presence. Only that I was a bit weary of her based on earlier observations I would have been into her. She was not driving a 40 ft truck! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Scottie99

But were you in the right lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

/rant

This evening I came across a car reversing back down the Ballymount (North) exit of the M50 to get back on. I swear to God I nearly stopped to tell him JUST KEEP GOING AND GO THROUGH THE LIGHTS TO GET BACK ON YOU FUKING DICKWAD

I hate people who reverse on motorway slip roads.

I HATE THEM! Find a fuking roundabout or something ffs! Jesus Christ!

/end rant

That felt good :)

/rant

It is also illegal!

Anan1 wrote: »
    I dunno, nipplenuts. Have you driven on any of the 6 lane sections of the M50 yet?

Yes, most days.
    I have also driven the M1 at South Leeds.

You see the same things on both - mostly people driving along the middle lane. And drivers with yellow plates cutting in and out across lanes in excess of the limit.

Admittedly in the UK the police are proactive in showing drivers where they should be, but that doesn't reflect the quality of driving here.

I'm not saying Irish drivers are great or good, just that they are basically the same as others, with the same shortcomings.

Ah, yes. And the ones who reverse on the motorway to get back to a missed exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Not the worst display of driving I've ever seen but the one that made the least amount of sense happened a couple of weeks ago.

I was driving along a 2 by 1 road (in the left hand lane of the 2 lane section). A car caught up to me and tailgated me by about 5 foot, going at 100kph) and didn't make any attempts to overtake. About five minutes later just after our section turned into a 1 lane section and the other side of the road had two lanes the car behind me overtakes me. She crosses a double white line with traffic in both lanes approaching the opposite side of the road.

Why didn't she overtake in the perfectly safe two lanes we were driving on??

I didn't adjust my speed the whole time because I had my niece in the back and I'm always extra careful when driving with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

last night small roundabout in swords a taxi driver decided to pull out right in front of me. I'm taking the third exit and he's oat what would be the second exit (straight ahead) to me. he just runs right out in front of me without looking to see if there was any oncoming traffic. he then starts yelling at me cause i had the audacity to beep at him and screams "everyone makes mistakes" mistakes from muppets i can take but something like that from someone that drives for a living?

oh and some kiddie in a red 91 D corolla heading north on the Malahide road yesterday afternoon tailgating switching lanes every few seconds just to get one car ahead. guys could have been only 3 feet from the rear of a bus at one point in a bus lane. i really did hope to see him in a wall or something, but idiots like that tend to take others with them and walk away from it themselves.

I've also seen a cyclist tailgating a double decker, the bus pulls into a bus sup and he went into the back of it. i wet myself laughing at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

In Killaloe-Ballina there's a bridge which has a lights-controlled one way system controlling traffic from one town to the other. On the Ballina side there is side road access by Molly's Pub onto the 'main' bridge road where cars can either turn left back up the hill into Ballina, or turn right onto the bridge for Killaloe side.

I'm stopped at this side road, waiting the green to turn right & over the bridge. I get a green. I move out, cautiously - not one, two or three, ahhh no, six vehicles break their red light and barrell down the hill from Ballina village to barge their way over the bridge.

As it's a side road, it's a quick change light for me. By the time the 4th or 5th vehicle had gone past, I was faced with a red light again. This is the third time in the last 10 days this has happened.

What the hell am I supposed to do - break the light like the fcukwits who cut me up? Sit pretty & wait for the next series of fcukwits to cut me up again? Given how slowly the light sequence is, you can be quite a while stuck there even if everyone follows the rules.

Yesterday, I made use of the fact that what I drive isn't small and I just continued to pull out flashing my light and horn blaring. Brown underpants for at least two of the fcukwits who had to anchor themselves. But I'm aware that I can't make that my regular solution; there will be material damage and or somone sooner or later will get hurt and I know I would be held liable to some/all extent. I don't want to go there - I just want to cross the fceking bridge, legally & safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Driving home on the M7 to Dublin yesterday from Kildare and had the pleasure of one of those people who can't use Motorway lanes properly. 02 Almera, driving along at about 95kmh in the overtaking lane and causing all kinds of hassle for me. He seemed to pick up the pace everytime I wanted to use the lane to overtake just to make things awkward for me, which I reckon added about 10 minutes onto my total journey time.

Why can't people drive on Motorways? I hate the middle lane brigade too, grrrr.

His boot was open and bouncing up and down too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Was driving from Cashel to Urlingford on Friday, and used the Cashel bypass. Just before I joined the new motorway section a middle-aged woman in a VW Passat pulls out in front me causing me to slam on the breaks. She turned left to join the motorway and I followed behind her. The were cars coming up in the inside lane so I had to follow behind her before I had a chance to merge. I kid you not, she was going 50km/h in a 120km/h speed limit. Stupid div.

• Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Had 2 bad experiences over the weekend. Coming out of Birr heading for Tullamore. Heading up a hill which is a 60, due to a right turn halfway up the hill. 1 car, followed by 2 vans which in turn is followed by another car.
    The last car puts the boot down starts over taking, nearly rear ends the car turning right, swerves and basically runs one of the vans into the hard shoulder.:eek::eek:

The other was coming down from portlaoise last night, near mountrath a guy in a jeep with a large trailer, for a horse I think. No lights on the trailer and it was so big you couldn't see the lights on the jeep. Only way the car closed to him managed to spot him in time was due to lights from oncoming traffic creating an outline of the trailer.:eek::eek:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Redderneck wrote: »
    In Killaloe-Ballina there's a bridge which has a lights-controlled one way system controlling traffic from one town to the other. On the Ballina side there is side road access by Molly's Pub onto the 'main' bridge road where cars can either turn left back up the hill into Ballina, or turn right onto the bridge for Killaloe side.

I'm stopped at this side road, waiting the green to turn right & over the bridge. I get a green. I move out, cautiously - not one, two or three, ahhh no, six vehicles break their red light and barrell down the hill from Ballina village to barge their way over the bridge.

As it's a side road, it's a quick change light for me. By the time the 4th or 5th vehicle had gone past, I was faced with a red light again. This is the third time in the last 10 days this has happened.

What the hell am I supposed to do - break the light like the fcukwits who cut me up? Sit pretty & wait for the next series of fcukwits to cut me up again? Given how slowly the light sequence is, you can be quite a while stuck there even if everyone follows the rules.

Yesterday, I made use of the fact that what I drive isn't small and I just continued to pull out flashing my light and horn blaring. Brown underpants for at least two of the fcukwits who had to anchor themselves. But I'm aware that I can't make that my regular solution; there will be material damage and or somone sooner or later will get hurt and I know I would be held liable to some/all extent. I don't want to go there - I just want to cross the fceking bridge, legally & safely.

I know that spot, its a nightmare when traffic is heavy. The lights are quite long and I guess I see why those twats try and break the lights out of impatience. The sooner the new bridge is up the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Willodub

On Wolfe Tone Quay in Dublin this morning, heading towards James Joyce bridge. Quay has 4 lanes - bus lane, left hand lane for straight on, middle lane and right turn lane. The middle lane finishes near the end of the quay and the traffic in it is supposed to merge into the left lane to go straight on up the quays.

I'm in the left hand lane going straight on. Dolly bird in a Micra comes flying up the middle lane, over the hatch markings and into the lane I'm in, causing me to slam on the brakes and nearly go into the bus lane to avoid her. Beeped but no reaction. Stupid cow

W

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hate trucks on the road..some of them be flying it and barely take the bends on the road..
    Another thing I dislike about truck drivers is a lot of them don't stop at roundabouts..they just assume that the cars will stop for them.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

On the Ratoath Road, near the Ballycoolin Industrial Estate in Dublin 11/15, there are major road works going on and there is a stop/go system in place.

Well on friday, so woman decided to ignore the stop signal for her and continued to drive, she end up meeting a long line of traffic coming towards her and had to reverse the whole way back, she is so luck she didnt met a HGV going a little bit fast but i was looking at her and she was laughing, she thought this was hillarious. the words mind and boggle come to me.

also driving home from Wicklow to Coolock at 7pm last night, i think everyone in the country should be made do ten driving leesons on how to use motorways. in fairness, you pass your driving test, and you drive on the motorway no leesons or anything

Advertisement