Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jackass Driving

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Had another stupid situation yesterday. Coming down the dual carriageway from Ennis to Limerick. A guy in a van on the inside lane, and a woman on the outside lane, no other traffic in front of them or behind me. She obviously knew the van driver. She got his attention by beeping at him and driving along side him.
    Suddenly for no reason, they both come to almost a complete stop while occupying both lanes and pulled into the hard shoulder. Was thankful no one was following behind me. Couldn't understand why the woman didn't move to the left lane and slow down in that lane.:mad:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Was driving through Clonee one morning last week and the female driver behind me was....eating a bowl of cereal as she drove! Every 10 secs or so she'd take her eyes off the road to have a rummage with her spoon, and then lift it up to her face. I couldn't believe it as there were occasions where her eyes were off the road for a good 3 to 4 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I have so many of these, it'd be funny if it wasn't so bloody frustrating.

Driving down Templeville Rd from Templeogue Village. Came to the roundabout near Templeogue College. I'm in the inside lane going straight on, there's a woman in the outside lane, INDICATING RIGHT. We both enter the roundabout at the same time, and low and behold, she tries to take the second exit (straight on) as well. I got in ahead of her and she starts blaring the horn at me for "undertaking" her...

Twice since Saturday I've been behind people who indicated right at the crossroads in Baltinglass but actually continued straight on towards Tullow.

Was driving down the Tallaght dual-carriageway a few years back, had just passed roundabout into Balrothery and the lights just after that. Next thing, the car directly in front of me slams on his brakes. I'm about to beep at him when I spot, through his windscreen, a car coming the wrong way down the dual-carriageway in our lane. My first thought is that it's someone trying to get away from the cops or something. We all bail over into the hard shoulder. Car starts slowing as he spots us, then stops, does a u-ey and then potters back off up, not a bother on him. Guy driving was about a hundred years old and I'd say had no idea whatsoever that he was even on the wrong side of the dual-carriageway until he saw all the oncoming traffic.

Actually, just thought of another one. Was doing my driving test. Approaching a roundabout and taking the exit at my right as I approach it, only other exit being on the left (no straight ahead). Also, it was a one lane roundabout. Indicated, got in the correct lane. As I was going around the roundabout, the woman behind passed me on the inside to 'over take' me. :eek:
    Had to mount the roundabout to avoid an accident. The tester actually joked that someone needed driving lessons. He didn't give me any marks for the mounting of the roundabout.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Think I saw the pinnacle of middle-lane idiocy a few weeks ago: middle aged woman in an SUV pulling out from the Belgard Road straight in to the middle lane of the N7 where she puttered along at no more than 75km/h... obviously thinks she's not slow enough for "slow lane"... would love to be able to take licences off people for stuff like this if it was possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MYOB wrote: »
    Think I saw the pinnacle of middle-lane idiocy a few weeks ago: middle aged woman in an SUV pulling out from the Belgard Road straight in to the middle lane of the N7 where she puttered along at no more than 75km/h... obviously thinks she's not slow enough for "slow lane"... would love to be able to take licences off people for stuff like this if it was possible.

I bet she was on the phone too :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

koth wrote: »
    Actually, just thought of another one. Was doing my driving test. Approaching a roundabout and taking the exit at my right as I approach it, only other exit being on the left (no straight ahead). Also, it was a one lane roundabout. Indicated, got in the correct lane. As I was going around the roundabout, the woman behind passed me on the inside to 'over take' me. :eek:
    Had to mount the roundabout to avoid an accident. The tester actually joked that someone needed driving lessons. He didn't give me any marks for the mounting of the roundabout.:)

Maybe im wrong, but is it not the accepted rule of using roundabouts that the left lane is for the first and second exits while the right lane is for third and all subsequent exits. therefore at the roundabout you describe that has no exit straight ahead would the left lane not be the right one to use for going left and going right (ie taking the second exit) while the right lane would only be used for the third exit (ie turning back in the direction you came from) meaning you were in the wrong lane or have i misunderstood your description of the roundabout completely

plissken wrote: »
    Maybe im wrong, but is it not the accepted rule of using roundabouts that the left lane is for the first and second exits while the right lane is for third and all subsequent exits. therefore at the roundabout you describe that has no exit straight ahead would the left lane not be the right one to use for going left and going right (ie taking the second exit) while the right lane would only be used for the third exit (ie turning back in the direction you came from) meaning you were in the wrong lane or have i misunderstood your description of the roundabout completely
    Put it this way, if I had used the same lane as her, the tester would have marked me for it. The right-hand exit was after 12 o'clock so, the right hand lane would be for the exit I was using. The other driver exited to the same road as myself and basically used the wrong lane to get past me.

My understanding is if the 3rd exit is straight ahead you can stay in the left lane. Open to correction, but thats what all documents and teachers have told me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

As I understand it you can use the left lane for the first exit and only the second exit if there are two lanes on that exit. This applies to standard configuration roundabouts with 4 exits. In the case above the second exit is really the third, so rules for the third exit apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Great fun driving up to Dublin couple of weeks ago....coming in on the N7, pretty busy but everyone is moving along grand. Was moving at bang on 100 on the inside lane when I came up to a pink [yes pink] Micra going at around 60 - could see inside the car and it looked like the inside of some teenage girls bedroom [all the pink playboy crap you see in argos] and two young ones sitting up front having a great old time, I keep seeing the driver take both hands off the wheel to a gesture to her friend. Debating wither to flash at them to move in when a big 4x4 comes bombing up behind me and starts flashing like crazy at me. I moved out of the way but the pink Micra stays where it is. 4x4 man goes nuts beeping and flashing at them. I end up over taking them due to them going so slow, 4x4 man moves in, overtakes them, moves into inside lane and takes off. I moved back into the inside lane to over take a truck in front of me and in the mirror I can see girls in pink car making faces at me [I'm also female, not much older then them and driving a much older green mirca thats full of rubbish] All of a sudden they speed up, move into the middle lane and try to overtake me.

Of course by now we've made it to Newlands cross and are stopped by traffic lights. They are one lane over and one car back from me and I can them pointing at my car. Lights change, I stay in lane as I'm going to the Lusa stop at the red cow. Pink Micra gets in lane behind me and drives right up on my arse. I move into the lane to get into the car park and the follow me. Now we're waiting for the lights to change to go into the car park, pink Micra is right behind me and sees they are in the queue for the park and ride where they don't want to be and start freaking out. Its pretty funny to watch them in the mirror. They try to back up but there's another car behind them. They suddenly dart out back onto the road and nearly cause a major pile up, they were lucky it was a car with damn good breaks and not a bus or truck coming up behind them. I kinda wished they'd followed me into the car park so I could have stopped them and asked them WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

This type of crap happens to me a lot. I've been able to avoid all bar one accident (double continuous white lines are for other people evidently)

Guy ran a stop sign entered a clearway and nearly T-Boned me. He decided obviously that he had waited long enough for people to wave him in. Next time I might not stop. It may get sore after a while, but if I let enough of them hit me.... :D

5uspect wrote: »
    As I understand it you can use the left lane for the first exit and only the second exit if there are two lanes on that exit. This applies to standard configuration roundabouts with 4 exits. In the case above the second exit is really the third, so rules for the third exit apply.
    Must try and find the document I found to show what I was taught regarding roundabouts. Any other documents I've found aren't that great as the only cover standard '+' shape rounabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MYOB wrote: »

Some wan in a ten year old Corsa did this again today! 4 manoeuvre overtaking to get past her, as my car gets to 100km/h far, far faster than a decade old granny-car...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ztoical wrote: »
    Great fun driving up to Dublin couple of weeks ago....coming in on the N7, pretty busy but everyone is moving along grand. Was moving at bang on 100 on the inside lane when I came up to a pink [yes pink] Micra going at around 60 - could see inside the car and it looked like the inside of some teenage girls bedroom [all the pink playboy crap you see in argos] and two young ones sitting up front having a great old time, I keep seeing the driver take both hands off the wheel to a gesture to her friend. Debating wither to flash at them to move in when a big 4x4 comes bombing up behind me and starts flashing like crazy at me. I moved out of the way but the pink Micra stays where it is. 4x4 man goes nuts beeping and flashing at them. I end up over taking them due to them going so slow, 4x4 man moves in, overtakes them, moves into inside lane and takes off. I moved back into the inside lane to over take a truck in front of me and in the mirror I can see girls in pink car making faces at me [I'm also female, not much older then them and driving a much older green mirca thats full of rubbish] All of a sudden they speed up, move into the middle lane and try to overtake me.

Of course by now we've made it to Newlands cross and are stopped by traffic lights. They are one lane over and one car back from me and I can them pointing at my car. Lights change, I stay in lane as I'm going to the Lusa stop at the red cow. Pink Micra gets in lane behind me and drives right up on my arse. I move into the lane to get into the car park and the follow me. Now we're waiting for the lights to change to go into the car park, pink Micra is right behind me and sees they are in the queue for the park and ride where they don't want to be and start freaking out. Its pretty funny to watch them in the mirror. They try to back up but there's another car behind them. They suddenly dart out back onto the road and nearly cause a major pile up, they were lucky it was a car with damn good breaks and not a bus or truck coming up behind them. I kinda wished they'd followed me into the car park so I could have stopped them and asked them WTF?

Heh, if that car was coming from Limerick up the N7 then I see it on the way home pretty much every day.

Not good to make a fool of yourself in such an obvious car.

Advertisement