Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies in France

Options
  • 04-10-2008 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Sounds like they are having a blast.

Here's a link to their pics from Day 1

A pic from Day 2 is attached.

Day 1 (emty's account of the day after Alpe d'huez)
    Great day, climbed Alp D'heux, 1860m, went on up to just over 2000m twice in a snowstorm. Stayed over 1800m for 25km. Amazing scenery, stunning, never seen anything like it.

Day 2 (emty again)
    Another great day. Went up to col du lauteret, 2057m which wasn't so bad, a long steady climb through a very scenic valley stopping for a super lunch. From there we went up to the col du galibier, 2646m, which was like going to another world. The landscape was lunar with a sheer drop beside the road. The view was incredible. You will have to take my word on that because I couldn't take any photos due to the fact I have never been so cold in my life!

Lucky barstewards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Sounds like a blast!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Another text. They did the Glandon and the Croix de Fer today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Glandon and Le Croix. And shorts...despite the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Wow, fair play lads, that' some pretty impressive stuff, those are some of the hardest climbs around yet they make it sound like a piece of cake!

I'd love to do that some day and every time I hear of someone on here doing it it just makes me want to do it more :)

Is it just me or are they starting to look tired? Well, apart from Emty who's still smiling. Tiny Explosions looks as though he might be losing his lunch there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Funny, I just got a text from Tiny saying he's feeling a bit knackered at this stage. Blorg in shoes. Now that's a keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Well done to the boys! Looks like a hoot.

'68 wrote:
    Well done to the boys! Looks like a hoot.

And girl!

It would be a terrible oversight to forget that Caroline is there, not alone climbing the hills but translating too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Sorry! My bad. Haven't seen a pic of her yet so just assumed it was a boy thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Not losing my lunch in that one, just very *very* tired by the top of the Telegraphe -it's not that hard a climb, but after the other days, it nearly killed me!

Was a great time -highlight for me was being the first up to the Glandon (yes, I beat Blorg!!!!!)

• Advertisement

And as for cold, the Galibier was cold!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=64495&stc=1&d=1223402079

Oh, and so was the Croix de Fer
    attachment.php?attachmentid=64496&stc=1&d=1223402360

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

unionman wrote: »
    And girl!

It would be a terrible oversight to forget that Caroline is there, not alone climbing the hills but translating too:D

Thanks ... I got sick the last 2 days ... bad bad baaaad virus ... BUT ... here are a few pics of Alpes d'huez and Col du Galibier.

Alpes D''huez ... 1H40' ... not bad for a girl ... I managed to sprint the last 200 metres !!! Invisible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, and more images available on flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Here are my elevation profiles for the trip. Was absolutely spectacular, will post some pics tomorrow.

Friday 3rd: Bourg D'Oisans, Alpe d'Huez, Col de Poutran, Alpe d'Huez, Col de Sarenne, Auris, Bourg D'Oisans loop
    CyclingAlps03-10-2008Elevation-Dist.png

Saturday 4th: Bourg D'Oisans, Col du Lautaret, Col du Galibier & return
    CyclingAlps04-10-2008Elevation-Dist.png

Sunday 5th: Allemont, Col du Glandon, Col de la Croix de Fer & return
    CyclingAlps05-10-2008Elevation-Dist.png

Monday 6th: St-Michel-de-Maurienne, Col du Telegraph, Col du Galibier, Col du Lautaret, Bourg D'Oisans
    CyclingAlps06-10-2008Elevation-Dist.png

Tuesday 7th (today at dawn, before breakfast:) Bourg D'Oisans-Alpe d'Huez & return
    CyclingAlps07-10-2008Elevation-Dist.png

The descent from the Galibier to Bourg is something else, basically 50km down a pretty constant gradient with just a few bumps back up, 2650m down to 700m (obviously the ascent is thus a bit difficult :D) Lots of 750m+ long tunnels that you can peg through at 70km/h+, felt like a video game.

oh, and more images available on flickr

Yer link doesn't go to Flickr.

The mysterious sixth Boardsie

2921816973_11cb8241f9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

No no, I'm not impressed............... well, yeah maybe, just a tad, more jealous really, stuck here in my windowless office........just not fair, humph!:(

Advertisement