Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E66

• 04-10-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

everyone's talking about the e71..... is the e66 on an irish network? or any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Due out on Meteor before the end of the month, as well as O2 from what I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Have one on order from Expanys.
    Ill tell you whats its like when it arrives.. Should be Tuesday or Wednesday
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

thanks:) it looks pretty similAr to e71, less connectivity tho, but it supports more video and music files, and a shorter battery

Both phone are identical in conectivity and media support

Apart from the obvious differences (design, keyboard, screen orientation etc)

The only difference is battery life
    The difference occurs because the E71 uses the slightly larger BL-4L battery.
    The slightly larger case allows it to accommodate the batery, leads to a slightly heavier phone tho.

ok, nokia.com compare the two together. there are differences

• Advertisement

ye thier comparison thing isnt great because the specs arent put in exactly the same.
    If you look at the specs on the phones page and compare the two that way its more acurate.
    Bit stupid that the comparison utility doesnt work..

yeah, and according to cnet it doesn't support java..
    but then on nokia, it shows the e66 having more java ability than the e71

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

chrislad wrote: »
    Due out on Meteor before the end of the month, as well as O2 from what I hear.

Already available on meteor and vodafone. sold two today. Cool looking phone.

They available in all stores?
    Might pop in to one on Grafton Street tomorrow for a look

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

mathew wrote: »
    They available in all stores?
    Might pop in to one on Grafton Street tomorrow for a look

Well my shop has them anyway. I'm sure cpw Grafton would have them also.
    Im off for 2 days so cant check for ya, sorry

• Advertisement

Ill pop in anyway. Only 2 mins from college
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I have one for about a month and really like it. Full specs avaliable here
    metalfest wrote: »
    yeah, and according to cnet it doesn't support java..
    but then on nokia, it shows the e66 having more java ability than the e71

I've had no problems using java apps on it yet.

have you installed java apps that aren't from like, meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Have had the E66 for bout month now (maybe bit more). Loving it so far. Beautiful design, slick applications and overall great package.

My dad had the E71 abroad and can tell you they are nearly exactly the same cept for the obvious differences. And yes it supports java of every kind lol

whats the battery like?

I believe the E71 does last longer due to reasons already stated but i get bout a good 2 days worth out of it, but im a text and music aholic lol

that's good compared to most phones tho, my current 6233, i think
    just texting and the odd phonecall and the battery lasts a day, , day and a half most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Saw this in hand for the first time today and I was shocked at how ugly the thing was. It looked great in the photographs, but in the hand the white model just looked odd e.g the contrast with the bright red power button. Slider mechanism felt weak and there was very little travel in the front fashia buttons. This concerns me as it was only in the shop for a day and was hardly going to have been subject to much abuse. Compared to the e71 that was next to it, the phone seemed cheap and very fragile. A pity as I prefer the form factor. Looks like the e71 will be my next phone.

Yeah the white one seems to look bit weird. Got the grey/silver one myself. Is very fetching i must say. Also i think the build quality is very good, and feels very sturdy. Maybe ya just tried one that had been through a good few hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

have to agree i think its an ugly phone. the e71 is nicer in every way. and costs about the same too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Saw this in hand for the first time today and I was shocked at how ugly the thing was. It looked great in the photographs, but in the hand the white model just looked odd e.g the contrast with the bright red power button. Slider mechanism felt weak and there was very little travel in the front fashia buttons. This concerns me as it was only in the shop for a day and was hardly going to have been subject to much abuse. Compared to the e71 that was next to it, the phone seemed cheap and very fragile. A pity as I prefer the form factor. Looks like the e71 will be my next phone.

You won't regret it :) had mine 5 days, and I love it (last 2 years I had an e61, N95, 95/8gb, tytn, etc etc... The e71 is fantastic! And boygeniusreport weren't off the mark when they called it almost-indestructable... I stupidly dropped mine on a pretty nasty floor today, and not a mark! Nothing! (still, ordered a krusell case just to be safe ;):lol: )

is the e66 durable? like would it break easily?

Just opened mine up there.. its lovely on first inspection.
    The spring is fairly strong on it, despite criticism..
    It definately feels strong.. well built.
    Buttons rattle a small bit when shaken.. but its fine
    Very slim and sleek compared to the E70 brick Ive replaced.

Now time to get setting it up

mathew wrote: »
    Just opened mine up there.. its lovely on first inspection.
    The spring is fairly strong on it, despite criticism..
    It definately feels strong.. well built.
    Buttons rattle a small bit when shaken.. but its fine
    Very slim and sleek compared to the E70 brick Ive replaced.

Now time to get setting it up
    What's the e66 like Matthew?

Sorry been a bit preoccupied with college.. and using the phone.

Its really nice. Very glad I mad the purchase.

Multimedia focus on the phone is fantastic.
    The 3.2 MP camera with a flash is very good. Great pics.
    Music player is also good, with support for many formats (although all mine are mp3).
    The provided headphones give a high quality sound. Cranked up the volume walking home, very good clarity.
    Radio is also a very handy feature which my E70 was missing, although I havnt used it much yet.
    The secondary camera on the front can only be used in video call mode, not in camera mode (theres a mirror beside the main camera for self portraits tho).
    Either camera can be used in video calls
    As I mentioned above, the build is very good quaility, the phone feels very solid and strong. The sliding feature is very well made and very smooth.
    The acceleromiter is handy for when you want to use the phone in landscape mode, but can get a bit annoying when using the phone lying down or texting with one hand and allowing the phone to tilt over. Easy to revert back to portrait mode tho, so its not a major problem.
    I havnt had much use for different modes. I plan to have one for College and one for outside. Different apps can be set on the home screen etc which could be handy with converters and scientific calculators in college and the music player etc outside of college.

There are loads of apps available, same as for all Symbian phones. One I would really love tho is one to allow access to Samba shares such as Windows. I found smb4s60, a python app, but it doesnt support Windows Vista.....

GPS is a cool thing to have, but at times it seems to take ages to connect to satelites. It took 10minutes upstairs on a bus by the window today, yet yesterday evening it connected downstairs in my house in a few seconds.

Finally, support for password protected proxy would be lovely, because it would better my chances of setting it up on the WiFi in college.

Overall, Im delighted I bought the phone, its a really cool piece of kit.

If you have any specific questions... I'll do my best to answer them :D

is the wifi unable to connect to passworded connections?

no no... Just in college all connections go through the college proxy serever. That proxy server requires a password.

It has a very comprehensive list of protocals for connecting to security enabled networks. No problems there at all

+1 with what Matthew said. very good piece of kit. very glad i bought it. Maps is very handy on it. Offline based, and u can search for any street and It will bring it up on the map, either in 2D or 3D.

Went to Prague recently and loaded on the Prague map. Helped me out so much in finding places. Even had the main sights marked on it.

By far the best and most useful phone ive had to date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

strecker wrote: »
    You won't regret it :) had mine 5 days, and I love it (last 2 years I had an e61, N95, 95/8gb, tytn, etc etc... The e71 is fantastic! And boygeniusreport weren't off the mark when they called it almost-indestructable... I stupidly dropped mine on a pretty nasty floor today, and not a mark! Nothing! (still, ordered a krusell case just to be safe ;):lol: )

Is it just my e71 or do the pictures look all fuzzy when your taking them, i'm guessin it's just the big screen, stil I expected it to look a lot better (no fuzz)

• Advertisement

strecker wrote: »
    You won't regret it :) had mine 5 days, and I love it (last 2 years I had an e61, N95, 95/8gb, tytn, etc etc.
    what happened to these old phones?;)

Advertisement