Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did they make you read in school?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

The school has made us read:
    To Kill A Mocking Bird
    Under the Hawthorne Tree
    The Merchant of Venice
    Goodnight Mr.Tom
    Animal Farm
    Jurassic Park (Was just for fun)
    The Runaway Jury

Macbeth
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
    The Crucible

(And incase you're interested, the film we're studying is The Truman Show)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

How many miles to Babylon was a great wee book. If I remember right we also read 'Roll of thunder hear my cry' and 'Of Mice and Men'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Tannylan wrote: »
    Ann and Barry

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

You could figure out your boards. ie classmates from these lists...

JC- Romeo and Juliet, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Outsiders

LC- Macbeth, Pride and Prejudice, Dancing at Lughnasa and Strictly Ballroom

And then I studied English at college and got to read my socks off, bliss! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

Funny how studying something in school can suck all the fun out of it if you've a bad teacher...

The Grass is Singing stands out as the worst book they made us read! And I was only in 2nd year - it's really not appropriate. Then there was I'm TheThe King of the Castle by Susan Hill - another JC book - , which was just so depressing and horrible! It's all about bullying and it just goes from bad to worse without any point to it all.
    OF Mice and Men by Steinbeck also didn't impress me - it didn't seem very worthwhile for English either. Maybe I would have liked it better if I hadn't read it in school.

I really liked the Shakespeare plays - Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet - and wish I'd done MacBeth instead of Philadelphia, Here I come, which was fine but a bit dated and dull.

I did Death and Nightingales for the Leaving cert and wasn't impressed. would have preferred the Crucible or Lord of the Flies!

Cinema Paradiso I really enjoyed!

they must have really updated the list if you're doing books like the curious incident of the dog and films like Billy Elliot! I think my sister's doing the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas for her junior cert, which I think is a good choice.

Jane Austen books are enjoyable enough but really she's the equivalent of Maeve Binchy today... For anyone who didn't like Emma, have you seen Clueless? Great modernisation of the story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Junior Cert
    Macbeth
    shadows on our skin

Leaving Cert
    Hamlet
    Things fall apart
    Huck Finn
    An Evil Cradling
    Great Expectations
    Death of a salesman

I think trying to remember all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    Animal Farm
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    How many Miles to Babylon
    The Hound of the Baskervilles
    Macbeth
    Julius Caesar
    Death of a Salesman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

We read a lot of Shakespeare and Austen, that was fine. I developed a real love for both.
    It was being subjected to Geoffrey Chaucer in all his archaic glory that nearly killed me.

Should also say that James Joyce's Dubliners and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein were a pleasure to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭silverwater

I got a lot of the above texts.
    To Kill a Mockingbird, Goodnight Mr. Tom, The Outsiders...

My sister did The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, and I don't think it's a great choice. Enjoyed the book, but for Leaving Cert English...? I'd take To Kill a Mockingbird any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Tawfee wrote: »
    To Kill a Mocking Bird
    MacBeth
    Hard Times (hard time reading it too)

Yeah had to do these 3 as well, Hard times is by an absolute mile the worst book I've ever had to read...don't know how anybody could of enjoyed it

Macbeth was ok, To Kill a Mocking bird was quite good and had a very good character in Boo Radley but otherwise nothing special, read Catcher in the Rye and found Holden to be a little whinger so didn't like it

Best book in school was the Hobbit which inspired me to read many more fantasy books and in doing so I realised that theirs far more enjoyable fantasy books out their than Tolkiens books!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Greyfox wrote: »
    Best book in school was the Hobbit which inspired me to read many more fantasy books and in doing so I realised that theirs far more enjoyable fantasy books out their than Tolkiens books!

Can't believe I forgot about the Hobbit!

Advertisement