Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL English - Comparative

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

LMAO. The film is absolutely horrible. It differs from the book in so many ways. Actors can't act and character descriptions are totally off.
    Cinema Paradiso? It's regarded as a cinematic classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

K4t wrote: »
    Cinema Paradiso? It's regarded as a cinematic classic.

Sorry, I was referring to " Philly.. here I come... or will I?"

Those notes sound very tempting. I must do that, thanks heywhatever.

I'm striving for a B1/A2 in Engrish.

Sorry, I was referring to " Philly.. here I come... or will I?"

Those notes sound very tempting. I must do that, thanks heywhatever.

I'm striving for a B1/A2 in Engrish.
    Eh good luck with that :pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

How is everyone finding the quotes?

We got so many, we practically learnt the book off by heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

bythewoods wrote: »

According to my new English teacher, "How Many Miles to Babylon?" is off the syllabus this year?
    (Check that one out phasers)

From what I've checked out, your teacher is right. Well, it looks like I have to find myself a new text to study... I'll probably do curious incident myself because I've already read it and it seems simple enough. God I hate my teacher. This is just like her.

• Advertisement

How is everyone finding the quotes?

We got so many, we practically learnt the book off by heart.
    We weren't told to learn quotes for the comparative :confused:

Just MacBeth and Poetry require quotes in the answers as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I haven't learnt any quotes for anything yet, I'm probably going to fail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

An Fhile wrote: »
    One of the most influential books in the English language ;)

Still a load of s**t.

I'm doing Philadelphia, Here I Come, My Oedipus Complex and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. A Portrait is totally random when you put it with the other two books, but apparently we needed a "hard" book to impress the examiners because teh other two are too easy. :confused: I would have preferred to do three reasonable books rather than try and understand that heap of crap. But whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

Still a load of s**t.

I'm doing Philadelphia, Here I Come, My Oedipus Complex and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. A Portrait is totally random when you put it with the other two books, but apparently we needed a "hard" book to impress the examiners because teh other two are too easy. :confused: I would have preferred to do three reasonable books rather than try and understand that heap of crap. But whatever.

AHH Portrait is an amazing book!!! Its probably been ruined for you by over-analysis for the leaving but as a stand alone book for pleasure I think it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lorr3

weve got..
    cinema paridso
    curious incident
    philadelphia

pretty ok really! not over excited about curious incident tho, love cinema paradiso!!!:)
    some one asked whether philadelphia can be done as teh single text would reccomend gettin that checked out????? pretty dodge to chance it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

my films been changed from the truman show to cinema paridiso

why is there an italian film in my eglish course?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

More importantly, how can anyone enjoy that film, I read something in a supplement in the Irish Times, with politicians listing all their favourite music and films, and at least half said Cinema Paradiso.

I seriously found it to be one of the most tediously boring films I have ever had the misfortune of watching, the unpleasantness accentuated by the fact that my failing eyesight prevents me from reading the subtitles, the first time we watched it. The second time, I could read them all, and was like WHY THE FÚCK AM I READING THIS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

That's a shame. Truman Show is a great film.

Theres one thing I don't understand: Why on earth is Cinema Paradiso on an English course? I thought the English course was the study of the English Language; why would we study an Italian film in an English class? Doesn't make sense to me at all. Next we'll be studying French in Maths class.

Oh and P.S. Im doing:

Cinema Paradiso,
    The Curious Incident etc etc.
    Philidelphia! Here I come

Anyone else think The Curious Incident... Is a rubbish book?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Next we'll be studying French in Maths class.

SSSSSSHHHHHHHH

The DOE has ears everywhere!

Wouldn't suprise me!

It's ridiculous though, whoever chose the comparative choices this year really doesn't understand that they're are different languages, and you can't just throw an Italian film in an English studies class!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Wouldn't suprise me!

It's ridiculous though, whoever chose the comparative choices this year really doesn't understand that they're are different languages, and you can't just throw an Italian film in an English studies class!

I think they might have noticed that it was in Italian! You are studying the film, as a piece of literature, not the language. Surely you don't think that you have to quote huge chunks of Italian dialogue from the film in your essay? At the end of the day, all you have to do is compare it with 2 other texts using your 3 modes. The fact that an element of the film is a bit different (dialogue in Italian) makes it easier to compare!

deemark wrote: »
    I think they might have noticed that it was in Italian! You are studying the film, as a piece of literature, not the language. Surely you don't think that you have to quote huge chunks of Italian dialogue from the film in your essay? At the end of the day, all you have to do is compare it with 2 other texts using your 3 modes. The fact that an element of the film is a bit different (dialogue in Italian) makes it easier to compare!

That would be fair enough if it were a literature or media studies etc. class, but it's an English class! You couldn't justify studying a German film in French class could you? At the end of the day the class is called English, it's contents should technically be confined to the bounds of the English language. It's as simple as that.

That would be fair enough if it were a literature or media studies etc. class, but it's an English class! You couldn't justify studying a German film in French class could you? At the end of the day the class is called English, it's contents should technically be confined to the bounds of the English language. It's as simple as that.

Well looking into the mind and inner turmoil of Macbeth is more philosophical than language related yet we do that in english. We also look at politics and war in michael longly's poetry. English is a study of literature and opinion more so than language.

• Advertisement

smndly wrote: »
    Well looking into the mind and inner turmoil of Macbeth is more philosophical than language related yet we do that in english. We also look at politics and war in michael longly's poetry. English is a study of literature and opinion more so than language.

Yah I guess that's true enough; But they're are still so many great films in the English language out there (Not saying Cinema Paradiso is a bad film), I don't understand why they felt obliged to put a film spoken in a different language on the course. Could be worse I suppose!

Yah I guess that's true enough; But they're are still so many great films in the English language out there (Not saying Cinema Paradiso is a bad film), I don't understand why they felt obliged to put a film spoken in a different language on the course. Could be worse I suppose!

I don't think they felt obliged; its a fantastic film and they decided it fits in with a lot of the other texts. Its the teachers who choose anyway so blame them if your unhappy!!

smndly wrote: »
    I don't think they felt obliged; its a fantastic film and they decided it fits in with a lot of the other texts. Its the teachers who choose anyway so blame them if your unhappy!!

I know it's a fantastic film! But I'm just saying that they're are undoubtedly better films out there told through the English language that may fit just as well with the other texts as Cinema Paradiso does.

It just doesn't make sense to be studying something in another language in an English class. And on your other point, it doesn't matter how philisophical Macbeth or Longleys poems are, they're still told through the medium of the English language: which is what English class is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

We're doing "Inside I'm Dacing", "A Curious Incident(...)", and "Philadelphia, Here I Come"

+1 here

Haven't done Philadelphia yet though.

Fad wrote: »
    More importantly, how can anyone enjoy that film, I read something in a supplement in the Irish Times, with politicians listing all their favourite music and films, and at least half said Cinema Paradiso.

I seriously found it to be one of the most tediously boring films I have ever had the misfortune of watching, the unpleasantness accentuated by the fact that my failing eyesight prevents me from reading the subtitles, the first time we watched it. The second time, I could read them all, and was like WHY THE FÚCK AM I READING THIS :mad:
    And they always tell the truth? 50% said they rated Cinema Paradiso among their favourite films of all time. I'd say at least 50% of them lied.

I haven't seen the film yet but it doesn't bode well from the comments on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I liked it! Saw it in italian class in 4th year, it's very sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone else think The Curious Incident... Is a rubbish book?

That book drove me up the wall.

And I said
    Then he said
    So I said

grrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 russelljames

I'm Doing

Bookseller of Kabul -Asne Sierstad
    The Lonesome West- Martin McDonagh
    The Truman Show

must be the only person doing the bookseller as a text, :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Cinema Paradiso - Giuseppe Torratore
    Philadelphia Here I Come - Brian Friel
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time - Mark Haddon
    They're the 3 I'm doing too. I'd read The Curious Incident before anyway and the other 2 are quite good. I actually enjoyed them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

we are doing
    old school
    curious incident
    strictly ballroom

Advertisement