Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL English - Comparative

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Cinema Paradiso - Giuseppe Torratore
    Philadelphia Here I Come - Brian Friel
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time - Mark Haddon

Snap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

I'm doing Philadelphia, Here I Come
    My Oedipus Complex
    Cinema Paradiso
    (father-son relationship)

Why are people complaining about Cinema Paradiso? The fact that it's in Italian means that you don't have to quote. (Always a good thing in English...so rare!) Also, it's a great film, it's so moving and really well-conceived. Plus I love the soundtrack...! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I was told we weren't expected to quote any of the texts in the comparative... we're just concentrating on "key moments" rather than the actual dialogue.
    Also, does the father-son thing come into Oedipus much? I've read about half of it and so far I've only read two stories with that theme. Doesn't seem like much material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

cautioner wrote: »
    Also, does the father-son thing come into Oedipus much? I've read about half of it and so far I've only read two stories with that theme. Doesn't seem like much material.

Well we're only starting it now, but we're doing My Oedipus Complex, Christmas Morning, First Confession(not sure why as it seems to centre on the sibling relationship?)and The Drunkard. As far as I can see the father son relationship is present in all bar First Confession.

That would be ok,wouldn't it?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

I'm Doing

Bookseller of Kabul -Asne Sierstad
    The Lonesome West- Martin McDonagh
    The Truman Show

must be the only person doing the bookseller as a text, :|

Im also doing Bookseller, it ok but there are no notes anywhere on it and I dont want to read about some woman and a donkey getting it on.

• Advertisement

aine-maire wrote: »
    Well we're only starting it now, but we're doing My Oedipus Complex, Christmas Morning, First Confession(not sure why as it seems to centre on the sibling relationship?)and The Drunkard. As far as I can see the father son relationship is present in all bar First Confession.

That would be ok,wouldn't it?:(

We all bought the new edition of MOC, which apparently is missing a few of the stories my teacher picked it for. Christmas Morning and The Drunkard are not in my book!

It's turned out OK though, I've got enough for "family relationships" in Theme/Issue and it compares very well with my other two texts for Cultural Context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Where doing Cinema Paradiso,Bel Canto(sooooooo ****:D) and Philadelphia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

im doing them 3, Curious incident just contrasts with everything. Would it be wise gettin a book with essays done out and learning them for the LC? BUT they done contain Curious Incident instead, My Oedipus Complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

K4t wrote: »
    One of the best (and funniest) films I've ever seen. I'd love to get to watch that in class.

I'm doing

Old School - Superb book!
    Phili Here I Come - Funny play, but it would probably help if we got to watch it, even on tv :rolleyes:
    Cinema Paradiso - Haven't watched it in class, but I have it at home so I will watch it soon.

yeah I saw Inside I'm Dancing recently and it's actually class.
    I'm not really mad on the stuff I'm doing but they do link up really well

bricky10 wrote: »

im doing them 3, Curious incident just contrasts with everything. Would it be wise gettin a book with essays done out and learning them for the LC? BUT they done contain Curious Incident instead, My Oedipus Complex.

Frankly, no. Examiners can probably smell it from a mile away. Just try and give your own honest thoughts and opinions on the texts, try and highlight similarities and differences, and you should do better than learning off a sample answer, which I imagine could possibly be very limiting and backfire on the day anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement