Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stove with/without back boiler

Options
  • 04-10-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I am going to fit a free standing stove to an open fireplace.There is a back boiler in situ at the moment.
    Two questions
    1. Should i remove the old back boiler and make a larger receptacle for the new stove.

2. Install a room heating stove or one with back boiler as pipes are already there in the current dual system (oil and fire).I am concerned that a back boiler stove would be too hot in this room 15ft x 12ft as it would have 12 or so rads to heat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You can always open the door if it gets too hot! :)

Seriously, with the price of oil you probably should get one with a boiler. With that amount of rads, you'll need something like the Stanley Erin. I know loads of people with this one or similar in a similar sized room and "overheating" of the room is not a problem.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Since the general plumbing is already there for a boiler, you'd be mad not to continue to use them with a boiler stove.

Personally, I have a dry Stanley Tara, but really wish the fireplace was plumbed for backboiler. Of course, since Tara is small, it'll probably only heat about 5 rads at most.

Also, I'm pretty sure that stoves with boilers throw out less heat into the room, than a dry equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Ditto the above. Wish I was in your position and had plumbing in for back boiler. I'm after getting plumber in to see if it was remotely feasible to retro install piping (and its not).
    As regards your concern re. the room being too hot, as long as you pick the right stove, you won't have a problem. Remember, the stoves with boiler give out less room heat than their non boiler counterparts as the heats being carried away - and ciruclated to your rads. Many of the stove suppliers have 'output calculators' on their websites - so if you stick in the room dimensions, it will tell you what output you need.
    The only question you need to ask yourself is have you enough room for the size of stove thats required to do the job.

Advertisement