Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Training Crates

Options
  • 04-10-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone have a training crate that they are no longer using that I could take off their hands? It's for a Shih-Tzu puppy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hiya, dont have one spare. I think a lot of people here would give spare animal things to charities so you might find it hard to get one here.

Try jumbletown.ie they have a lot of free stuff. They are pretty cheap in argos too, if you dont manage to pick it up elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Thanks for that Helena. Been looking online and for a good one they seem to be at least €200!!! Crazy like. I'm sure I can find one somewhere that isn't being used

Thats mad money! I bought mine for a litter of pups for 49.99 in argos. Since then I've had a boxer and a collie in it, so it's pretty big.

Jumbletown is usually great for things like that.

And did you use that for house training them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Where on earth are you finding a crate for ****z tzu for €200??!!

In and around €50-€60 is about the max you should be looking at, your local pet store is bound to have them around that price. I know the Argos ones are not quite as sturdy as some you can get in pet stores.

• Advertisement

Just browsing online. I can't remember which sites off hand. I'm looking for something a decent enough size so that he has room to move around a bit in it. Having a hard time just house training him on newspaper so need to try a crate instead.

And did you use that for house training them in?
    I found it fantastic! Seriously. But don't expect too much if he's still very young, he wont be able to hold it for too long. But the crate definately helps!

It makes a great bed for them as they get older too. And when you travel, they will be much more comfortable and safer in their crate, both in the car and at your destination. Really, I think every dog owner should have one. Can't recommend it enough for both you and the dog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

You would want a small crate for him if it is for house training. It defeats the purpose of the crate if they have too much room in it. You do NOT want them toileting inside the crate.

If you are using a crate for toilet training you must get up a couple of times during the night to bring them outside so they don't soil in the crate. The point of it is to encourage them to learn control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The ones sold in some pet shops are good for crate training and using in the car, heavier duty, door on front (handy if crate is in the back seat) and side door even the small crates have 2 doors. Metal tray.

My small crate was around the 65 mark and the next size up was around the 85 mark but that was a couple of years ago but don't think the prices have changed much. Used the smaller crate to crate train the smaller dog when she was a pup.

A few dog run providers sell dog crates as well http://www.cilldara.ie/dog-cages.asp

Think the Argos ones might be a bit lighter but might work with a small dog.

zooplus.ie might be worth a try think dog training ireland sell them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If its just for house use then the Argos ones are well up to the task. I think they have 4 sizes, and while not heavy-duty, they really don't need to be. We have one of the small ones and one of the extra-large ones and they work just fine for us (extra-large is used for our Rottie girl and she loves it).

You will find some places that will happily lighten your wallet to the tune of €150+, but to be honest you really don't need to spend that sort of money. I think ours cost something like €40 (S) and €70-80 (XL).

• Advertisement
Advertisement