Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

zakk wlyde

• 04-10-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone heard of the zakk wlyde song farewell. i think its a really nice piece of music. if you haven't heard it look it up on youtube

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Is it "Farewell ballad"? What album is it on do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

yeah its called the farewell ballad. don.t know if its on a album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jabcity

tis really good, but my faves gotta be Machingun Man!
    was lucky enough to meet em once :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Didn't Zakk have a transformation akin to Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode??? Anyone remember him in the very early days, fresh face and young with the dimple and blond hair compared to how he is now???!!! What happened?? And unlike in Gahan's case I don't think heroin is to blame... either way yummmmy!!!:D
    A post more suitable to the ladies lounge I know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What's up with Black Label Society these days? I used to be a huge fan, but after Mafia I pretty much lost interest. The album wasn't too bad, but I didn't think much of the one that followed it.

I'd like to hear some more solo stuff from Zakk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Early BLS is way better, Stronger Than Death and Sonic Brew are my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

The best albums from him (imo) are the Pride & Glory album, and Book of Shadows. He used loads of different guitar styles (blues,country,rock etc) and his singing was a lot better. I've seen live stuff of him recently playing his older stuff and still sings them as good but unfortunatley with BLS he tends to stick to that voice that sounds like Ozzy singing in a lower key.Not that it's bad, it's just that he can do better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think that he really is an immense live musician. Just a real hard playin jam band player style. And I love that signature les paul of his too!
    PS his name is spelt wrong in the title! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

my bad. sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I like Zakk but he over plays. IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Lost track of 'im after P+G , thought he was great on that.

His soloing style is unbelievably boring ! Did you hear his solo when Ozzy left the stage for a few minutes at the gig in the point ? I was waiting for it to end so the gig could go on !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Pyr0 wrote: »
    His soloing style is unbelievably boring ! Did you hear his solo when Ozzy left the stage for a few minutes at the gig in the point ? I was waiting for it to end so the gig could go on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought No More Tears was great. One of my favorite tracks and solos. Haven't warmed to the rest of his stuff.

I've heard the same stuff countless times, the repeat of patterns and scales over and over, its terrible. When he sits down and plays something on acoustic and not boring *chug chug* riffs, thats where he really shines.

BostonB wrote: »
    I thought No More Tears was great. One of my favorite tracks and solos. Haven't warmed to the rest of his stuff.

Hellraiser is another belter off that album, the blessed hellride album by BLS is absolutely the buiz-i-nas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Wylde is really not that dissimilar from Dimebag Darrell in his approach to playing, & frankly - I'd rather Wylde than say Hammett or Mustaine or even Kerry King or Jeff Hanneman.

I wouldn't say I'm a mark for Wylde, but it is people like him, Dimebag, Randy, Frehley, Page, Blackmore , Iommi, Gilmore & Gibbons that pushed me to want to play better & harder as a guitar player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

His live soloing (where its him on his own) is terribly boring in my opinion, I agree there. The solo's in songs sound great though, they fit in well.

Sonic Brew is a f*cking brilliant album.

His singing was great on it too.Definitely agree with Dave H about his later singing

ven0m wrote: »
    Kerry King or Jeff Hanneman.
    That pair have been merely going through the motions for a very long time now.

Oh jesus, have you seen slayers version of 'born to be wild' on youtube???
    You will envy the deaf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

That pair have been merely going through the motions for a very long time now.

Oh jesus, have you seen slayers version of 'born to be wild' on youtube???
    You will envy the deaf!

I saw it & I think I gavomited, but then again - I've also seen the photos of Slayer in pink spandex that Kerry King profusely denied ever existed until Metal Hammer printed them ..... dear oh dear ......

• Advertisement
Advertisement