Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint question

Options
  • 05-10-2008 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Paintwork in shower room is bubbling after every shower & getting mold like spots ... Clean it off but it comes back after a shower or two. some of the paint has peeled a bit too. Thought maybe ther wasn't enough ventilation ... just a small window which I open after every shower .. so put in extractor fan over the shower but it's not making any differnece. Any ideas what could be cause of the probelem & what I could do about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The paint on the wall is probably basic matt paint that was not designed for moist conditions.

A sealer may be required now where the paint has been bubbling or peeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

you need to prime and undercoat or at least undercoat or it will keep coming through. btw use a brush not a roller

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

The black spots are mould fungus from condensation from your shower. Wash down any areas that are affected with anti-fungus wash...Follow instructions on bottle. You can purchase a bottle in MRCB near christchurch for around €7. You will have to let ceiling dry out before showering again, give the fan a chance to work.

Scrap areas after washing down and apply a quick drying sealer like Bin-primer,you can get this in a spray as well. It can be hard to erradicate this problem once it has started but ventilation is the key.

Use a flat/matt emulsion on ceiling or better still use flat oil. Are the walls ok?

If they are, I'd use a matt emulsion as well. Dulux bathrooms paint, it is very hard to apply, but once you have one coat on it it should be ok to apply more coats, this comes in a softsheen finish. Its up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

Thanks for the suggestions. Will get on to them ASAP.
    To last poster the ceiling is actually fine it's the walls or one wall to be exact that is causing the problem. Walls on 2 sides are tiled ... on one other side is internal ... no problems there & the remaining wall an external one is where we're having the problems. Even with the fan on & window open during & after showering the problem is persisting so will look at the sealant opitons etc I think.

Thanks again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

wash down with a anti /mold wash .you can buy any bathroom/kitchen paint from any DIY shop----sorted

• Advertisement
Advertisement